2nds WAFL Watch 2014 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of my personal observations from today

AP - I'll start with Alex because I'm such a big fan of the way he plays and I can see this guy having an impact next year. AP has improved enormously throughout the year. He played FB today, normally he plays CHB so it was a slightly different role for him. He played on Johnson, Sinclair and Smith, all very capable players. Earlier in the year Saunders from bulldogs out bustled him in the marking contest and more recently at Freo Oval, Saunders got the better of him on one or 2 occasions. Today Pearce was really strong in the one on ones. He worked to the front of the contest quite a few times, especially in the 3rd qtr, where he was able to use his height to prevent the ball from going over the top. IMO he comprehensively beat Sinclair and was only out bodied by Johnson a couple of times in the last qtr. Really encouraging game, on top of a number of good performances throughout the year.

Apeness - Ape has had a few cameos in the ruck in recent weeks but today he played as a genuine 2nd ruck. He was outgunned in the ruck and we missed him up forward when he went into the middle. Peel look like a much better team with Ape up forward either clunking them or bringing the ball to ground. He was really fierce at the ground ball and crunches anyone that gets between him and the ball. He was a little bit clumsy with his attack on the ball and gave away a free early in the 1st qtr but you can't fault him for his endeavour. I doubt he's played in the ruck much before this year so it will take him time to learn the position. Once again some good stuff from Ape.

Clancee - We're very fortunate to have someone of Clancee's caliber in the two's. He was very good today and tackled fiercely. He won clearances and also ran hard from end to end. He was good on the last line of defense where he often cleared the D50 with his long kicking. The stats say it all.

Mora - Played very well without being outstanding. His highlight was a scything run from the wing where he bounced once and kicked a good goal from about 40 out. He displayed great vision in the first where he spotted Thornton up in the middle of the ground and hit him with a lovely kick from the HBF. A couple of little skill and decision errors but another great player to have waiting in the wings.

Vandeleur - Started very well and then faded in and out of the game. Tom has shown a lot of improvement throughout the year and continues to impress. He effected a number of very good spoils and took some really strong marks. He was a bit sloppy with his disposal but overall a good effort.

Duffy - Had a relatively quiet day but when he got it he was very classy. He missed a couple of goals he should have kicked.

Griff competed well against two very good opponents and took some strong marks around the ground. Menegola was quite good but again was poor with some of his disposals. Ballard wasn't as prolific as he normally is but still battled away manfully without ever really getting going. I noticed poor execution and poor decision making from Ballard a couple of times but he tackled extremely well and took a very strong contested mark in the 2nd qtr, he also snapped a nice goal in the last qtr. Wood was ok, he made good position in the F50 a couple of times but once again lacked commitment in contested situations.

Keplar - Bloody hell I'll miss the guy. He had a couple of classic keplar moments today. He took a good chest mark in the goal square in the 3rd qtr and kicked a goal. He nearly took a great juggling one hander in the 3rd but couldn't quite pull it off. He competed really well and never gives up, it'll be sad to see him go.
Brilliant report PurpleReign.:thumbsu: Very excited by Alex Pearce. Mora will just keep getting better by the sound of it.

I'm hearing rumors on ABC Radio that Morabito has injured his knee in the Peel game today. Hope it's not too bad!
I heard that he's injured, but hasn't left the ground (i.e. in his tracksuit on the bench). You'd think if it's a knee they'd take him to get it looked at straight away.

*fingers crossed* for Mora that it's nothing serious.

Good game by deBoer. Over 30 possies half way through the last. Playing in the middle.
Ballard 27 possies. Another good in and under game.
Wood has has a pretty good game, especially early.
Apeness has has a quiet game but has two shots for goal and kicked both. One from the fifty.
Clancee solid.
Duffy is Duffy 1 goal 3
hannath has been pretty good.
Morabito off with injury. doesn't seem to serious.
Sheridan has been pretty good for his first game back.

Sloithe has more free kicks than kicks.

Midfield didn't run out the game out again. Apeness missed an easy shot that could have put us in front. But a good last quarter. Turnover by deBoer blew our chance, which is a pity because he sounds like he had a good game. griff seemed ok. Clancee a lot quieter in the second half. Vandaleur and Tanner sounded ok, but its a bit to tell on the radio how the backmen go. Dann got plenty of it but he lacks a bit of composure. Can't blame the Peel players. the team was mostly Freo players.
Go Freo :)

Midfield didn't run out the game out again. Apeness missed an easy shot that could have put us in front. But a good last quarter. Turnover by deBoer blew our chance, which is a pity because he sounds like he had a good game. griff seemed ok. Clancee a lot quieter in the second half. Vandaleur and Tanner sounded ok, but its a bit to tell on the radio how the backmen go. Dann got plenty of it but he lacks a bit of composure. Can't blame the Peel players. the team was mostly Freo players.
Go Freo :)
Any news about mora apuchar. Is it just precautionary?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it Peel consistently get overrun in the last quarter? Half the side are full time footballers FFS.
Tony Micale said it was that Freo go in too tall to make room for all our tall players and that it robs us of midfield options. Which is true, but frankly the spare Peel midfielders would offer very little in that regard. He also pointed out that the Freo style is too difficult for young players to maintain at this point of there development.

You can't cork a knee surely?
Yeah you can haha
It is the most painful thing I have ever felt. There is a soft spot in there where a clash of knees hits the nerve (I guess), I went down like a sack of potatoes absolutely sure I'd wrecked my knee, it felt like that for about five minutes then I was jogging and fine again.

It scared me and I haven't ever done my knee, Mora could have literally thundered his Peel shorts.

Peel only had 1 interchange player for almost the whole of last quarter due to injuries .
Clancee had a knock and was very ill after it , Mora knock\corked knee and Josh Mathers collision with team mate early in the last quarter so with almost no rotations and playing too many talls they ran out of legs .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back