Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Once he was just an obscure presenter on shows hardly anyone watches such as the ABC's Big Ideas.

Yet News Limited has done yet another special feature headlining on their news website about him, a seemingly regular occurrence.

How did this guy become the apparent darling of major media in Australia?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I remember when Johnny Rotten was being himself to Cary, quite funny for a while but got old quick, Dave Hughes was the only one to intervene and pretty told him to bugger off.

Aly was all like "that was completely unacceptable and we should've stepped in sooner"

What is this we s**t? Neither you and your mate Pickering did anything so stop talking big.

Also how come Pickering is still derided as an arse but Aly is seen as, well, refer to post above.

Once he was just an obscure presenter on shows hardly anyone watches such as the ABC's Big Ideas.

Yet News Limited has done yet another special feature headlining on their news website about him, a seemingly regular occurrence.

How did this guy become the apparent darling of major media in Australia?

I saw that on their homepage too. "The speech that went viral!!!" So viral that the only places I saw it were their own news sites.

BALKAN

Cancelled
Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Aug 23, 2013
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with what he says most of the time, but I can't stand him. I can't stand his smugness, the way he takes himself so seriously and thinks the sun shines out of his arse.

Though he'd probably be a bit more bearable if he wasn't on The Project, the most watered down and safe 'news' program in the world.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah a massive twat. A bit like Charlie Pickering.

These people think they're the beacon of provocation and originality, but they forget they're as white bred as Coldplay and Adele. They're on a s**t show which is basically half a step up from Kerry-Anne Kennerley that does nothing but puff pieces and ads. They pontificate and sit there chatting obvious s**t (war is bad) and this koombaya, 'let's hold hands and sing' warm and fuzzy nonsense and think it's groundbreaking or #thetruth. It ******* shits me.

If Waleed Aly didn't have a Muslim sounding name, people wouldn't lap up his boring sentiments about ISIS being bad or whatever bland s**t he's going on about.

* these pricks. They're no better than any other boring, personality-less, humour devoid arseholes like Kyle Sandilands or Rove McManus or Grant Denyer. But they think they're edgy for some unknown reason; probably because they're mates with presenters from Triple J or something.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Because he's a highly intelligent and articulate man with very solid, balanced ideas. That's why.

Good sense of humour too.

There aren't enough Waleed Aly types in the media.
Nah, there's too many of his types in the media.

The bloke is as vanilla as they come.

He reminds me of the Australian John Oliver: they both think every time they have a 10 minute diatribe, which focuses around populist and obvious anti-war and Westboro Baptist Church are bad!!! hooks, they think it's groundbreaking and the world is watching. The way they stare into the camera is so ******* pretentious, like they think they're the Queen giving her Christmas speech or Barack Obama after a mass shooting.

Waleed Aly has never said anything interesting or unique. His boring arse, middle of the road, pissweak little chat show (which features 'comedians' who were never even funny when they came out 15 years ago) just frames him to be this thinking man.

"Solid, balanced ideas" reads to me like sanitised, grey, dull, safe opinions that won't get him sacked but won't make him look like Tony Abbott.

Never heard him say a single funny thing either.

A genuine indictment of a certain s**t part of Australian media.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
These people think they're the beacon of provocation and originality, but they forget they're as white bred as Coldplay and Adele. They're on a s**t show which is basically half a step up from Kerry-Anne Kennerley that does nothing but puff pieces and ads. They pontificate and sit there chatting obvious s**t (war is bad) and this koombaya, 'let's hold hands and sing' warm and fuzzy nonsense and think it's groundbreaking or #thetruth. It ******* shits me.

Don't entirely agree with your stance on Aly but this point is bang on and damn funny.

Oh, christ.

It sounds like you're basing your opinion purely off what you see on The Project. I'm not the biggest fan of The Project and it's not where he does his best work.

Ever bothered to read his pieces in the paper, or his book?

I agree with what he says most of the time, but I can't stand him. I can't stand his smugness, the way he takes himself so seriously and thinks the sun shines out of his arse.

Though he'd probably be a bit more bearable if he wasn't on The Project, the most watered down and safe 'news' program in the world.

He's the perfect Charlie Pickering replacement. Smug, condescending, thinks a rant on the lowest of the low hanging fruit makes him some sort of genius political commentator. He suits Rove's shitty show to a tee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
What a load of rubbish.
What has the guy said that's genuinely groundbreaking? Something corny about how ISIS apparently fear our togetherness and not our warheads?

Firstly: I think a hundred thousand first years and year 12s have muttered the same naive nonsense in the past week.

Secondly, that's just not true. ISIS are just a bunch of s**t shots, dumb disillusioned and angry western kids who need to feel a part of something so go there and subsequently get used and murdered within a week, and ex-pats who still use V05 and Apple macs in their so-called anti-western way of life. ISIS don't worry about people singing national anthems together or landmarks in blue, white, and red – but they would be shitting themselves with actual, decent soldiers shooting at them or dropping bombs on their heads.

Waleed Aly is basically liked by Pedestrian TV, middle class white people who reckon they're edgy, people who like Hack on Triple J, and people who think they're chill because they think wars are bad and we can defeat terrorism with lollies and rainbows, and people who don't stop talking about boring things like weed legalisation and gay blokes marrying each other.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oh, christ.

It sounds like you're basing your opinion purely off what you see on The Project. I'm not the biggest fan of The Project and it's not where he does his best work.

Ever bothered to read his pieces in the paper, or his book?
No wonder you like him – you're also condescending and snippy.

You said people only listen to what he said because he has a Muslim sounding name.

It's a ridiculous extrapolation. I'm not even going to bother justifying why that's ridiculous, except to say I could not care what his name sounds like, nor what religion or ethnicity he is, and I suspect most are exactly the same. Whether his name is Waleed Ally, Xelionyg Bahahaahah or James Brown, it's his message that counts.

No wonder you like him – you're also condescending and snippy.
So I'll take that as a no then.

Also, pot kettle black.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Its threads like this where the ill-informed rednecks show their real colours.

Some people just can't stand the idea of an educated, refined Muslim media personality giving a moderate voice of reason to the public, doesn't suit the redneck/right-wing narrative of all Muslims being evil/spawn of ISIS etc.

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

He reminds me of the Australian John Oliver: they both think every time they have a 10 minute diatribe, which focuses around populist and obvious anti-war and Westboro Baptist Church are bad!!! hooks, they think it's groundbreaking and the world is watching. The way they stare into the camera is so ******* pretentious, like they think they're the Queen giving her Christmas speech or Barack Obama after a mass shooting.

Waleed Aly has never said anything interesting or unique. His boring arse, middle of the road, pissweak little chat show (which features 'comedians' who were never even funny when they came out 15 years ago) just frames him to be this thinking man.

"Solid, balanced ideas" reads to me like sanitised, grey, dull, safe opinions that won't get him sacked but won't make him look like Tony Abbott.

And you could repeat all of that about Pickering too. The Project is abhorrent.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Plenty of bombs have been dropped on the head of ISIS, to the effect of 5/8s of you know what.

Actual decent soldiers, yeah, IF.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
There's no doubt he's a reasonably intelligent articulate guy but his condescending, smug, self-righteous opinions particularly on racial issues gets on a lot of people's goats and leads to him being disliked.

It's like his opinions on topics like ISIS or Adam Goodes are all gospel and 100% right just because he's a reasonably intelligent dark skinned Muslim guy and the rest of the media fawn all over him like he's some great font of knowledge whose opinions can't be questioned or challenged. I agree with some of the things he says on these issues but not everything he says, at the end of the day he's just another mouthpiece in the media who has an over inflated opinion on everything including himself.

Feb 17, 2010
Europe
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Exers

My feelings exactly. I agree with his latest rant but gee I'm glad I don't know the bloke in real life. He'd be insufferable.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I remember when Johnny Rotten was being himself to Cary, quite funny for a while but got old quick, Dave Hughes was the only one to intervene and pretty told him to bugger off.

Aly was all like "that was completely unacceptable and we should've stepped in sooner"

What is this we s**t? Neither you and your mate Pickering did anything so stop talking big.

Also how come Pickering is still derided as an arse but Aly is seen as, well, refer to post above.
He has the same persona as Pickering, but he's also better at pulling it off because he seems to actually be pretty educated, rather than thinking being leftwing makes him educated (which is the impression I get from Pickering).

I don't think it's possible to not come across as a bit of a w***er on a show like the Project but he at least seems to be a bit more intellectual than Pickering. That said I really haven't seen much of him because I don't watch the Project except by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back