Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it is a good apology, and it seems to have been taken as genuine given that Young was willing to appear in the apology video.

But I really hope that people take notice of what a lot of other Aboriginal people are saying about this - that it's not an isolated one-off issue, it's something they see, hear, and feel on a regular basis.

Of course it is sack him. Just as it is that racist supporters and staff at my club should not be welcome, supported or engaged.
And by extension shouldn't be welcome anywhere according to that logic. So send them all to a remote island, away from everyone so no-one can hear their racist comments? Cut out his tongue?

First of all, Walker said what he said is wrong and his punishment and reconciliation are needed. Having him disappear now isn't right either, people need to see the process as the country as a whole is going through that process over time.

BUT, what I find amusing is that other incidents such as assault, indecent assault, drink driving and other similar events by current players that caused physical harm and could have led to worse have been largely swept under the carpet. Players have been suspended for a couple of games and them it's been back to business as usual.

The double standard is interesting
You have what's known as perspective.

He answered a question the media asked
I covered this entirely in my post above.

He could have just said we’re still yet to make a decision / I’m not sure at this point in time / whatever.

He didn’t need to tell the press that he asked and that the club now has to make a decision about whether to let him or not.

it was a stupid action that now puts the crows in a place where now they’re the ones that have to bar him from attending.
He was on a hiding to nothing once this came out, and that's on him, but he was criticised for not fronting media earlier, criticised for apology video, and now he has fronted media, people get to pick it apart
Superficially Walker has lost 6 games of footy, $20k, arguably a Coleman and AA spot, and plausibly his career - not gonna cry about that, it's on him and that's how it goes

But the pile on that has and will continue to happen no matter what he does, imo, is a bit much
He is still making obvious mistakes and those are what I (and others) are calling him out for.

You don’t get a free pass for doing dumb thing after dumb thing because you copped it for the 1st dumb thing you did.

He’s just made error after error in this shitshow that has made it worse.

And by extension shouldn't be welcome anywhere according to that logic. So send them all to a remote island, away from everyone so no-one can hear their racist comments? Cut out his tongue?

This extrapolation is a basic slippery slope logic fallacy. It has never been stated he shouldn't be welcome anywhere. It has never been proposed to send them all to remote island, away from everyone. And it has never been stated to cut out his tongue.

What is stated is that there is a position that there is no place in the AFL for racism.

What is stated is that there is a position that there is no place in the AFL for racism.

I agree, but I don’t necessarily think that means he can never play again. If he can demonstrate that he has changed then I see no reason he can’t return, my opinion is essentially if the players, in particular the indigenous players, are happy to have him back then I see no reason why he can’t return.

Btw I think he has a lot of work to do to prove he’s changed and win back trust, and he may not get there, but to make the call on his future now before he’s given the chance to do so would be unfair.

I covered this entirely in my post above.

He could have just said we’re still yet to make a decision / I’m not sure at this point in time / whatever.

He didn’t need to tell the press that he asked and that the club now has to make a decision about whether to let him or not.

it was a stupid action that now puts the crows in a place where now they’re the ones that have to bar him from attending.

He is still making obvious mistakes and those are what I (and others) are calling him out for.

You don’t get a free pass for doing dumb thing after dumb thing because you copped it for the 1st dumb thing you did.

He’s just made error after error in this shitshow that has made it worse.

in what way has he had a free pass? lol

and here we go, you get to pick apart his press conference, which is exactly the hiding to nothing I was talking about - nothing he could have done once this came out was going to satisfy everyone -

in what way has he had a free pass? lol

and here we go, you get to pick apart his press conference, which is exactly the hiding to nothing I was talking about - nothing he could have done once this came out was going to satisfy everyone -

I never said he had a free pass, I said if you continue to make mistakes you are going to continue to cop criticism.

You are arguing that he shouldn’t be getting any more criticism ie a free pass.

I get to “pick apart” his press conference?

He made a dumb decision that now has consequences and I’ve brought that up here, in a discussion forum..

Answer these 2 questions ..

Do you think it was smart and responsible for Walker to have requested that he be allowed to attend the bnf and that he said as such to the media

and why should he be exempt of criticism for those two actions? (Which is what you’ve argued for here with me)

Do you think it was smart and responsible for Walker to have requested that he be allowed to attend the bnf and that he said as such to the media

and why should he be exempt of criticism for those two actions? (Which is what you’ve argued for here with me)

I don't think my opinion of point 1 matters at all - I am not a player or coach or trainer and it is up to them to decide that and only those involved would know whether it was appropriate or not

Point 2 I just don't see the point on the pile on, you're now criticising his conduct post-incident, which I don't think he's done anything wrong, - some would do doubt go about it differently but how many people get called out like this in such a public manner? Not many, I would think, and I don't think there is really a playbook to follow

I don't think my opinion of point 1 matters at all - I am not a player or coach or trainer and it is up to them to decide that and only those involved would know whether it was appropriate or not

Point 2 I just don't see the point on the pile on, you're now criticising his conduct post-incident, which I don't think he's done anything wrong, - some would do doubt go about it differently but how many people get called out like this in such a public manner? Not many, I would think, and I don't think there is really a playbook to follow
This is basically saying you will not criticise Walker and no one else should now either regardless of whether his actions now deserve it or not.

I agree, but I don’t necessarily think that means he can never play again. If he can demonstrate that he has changed then I see no reason he can’t return, my opinion is essentially if the players, in particular the indigenous players, are happy to have him back then I see no reason why he can’t return.

Btw I think he has a lot of work to do to prove he’s changed and win back trust, and he may not get there, but to make the call on his future now before he’s given the chance to do so would be unfair.

Everyone has a different opinion on this and that is to be respected. There are no 'hard and fast' rule set by the AFL so it will be a personal position until there is a set of guiding rules.

I think it is really hard to expect players whose professional aspirations are closely tied to putting to best to team on the field can put those aspirations to the side when personal, cultural and deliberate harm has been done. When there has been so much education and visibility regarding racial harm, it is difficult to make a case that it wasn't a deliberate choice to create harm.

We all have an opportunity every day to not racist - I'm not sure how many chances you need if they are presented every day?

The apology and acceptance is not enough. The nation of Australia through its PM apologised for the hurt done to Indigenous Australians and this apology was broadly accepted by the Indigenous community. But it has not healed the harm. The fact that Australia has continued on without structural, policy activity on the closing gap is not soothed by the PMs apology.

What is unfair is using someones race as an insult. That 'black' inherently makes one 'worse'. Walker has had the chance to not do this - he chose not to. To provide him another opportunity to harm Indigenous people would be unfair.

Walker acknowledged and apologised for his initial actions. He acknowledged and apologised for his denial of his initial position. I am not sure if he has acknowledged that his wanting to 'lean on' Young awkward and misguided and should be addressed. I don't think there is balancing of scales with morality. That somehow you can offset the poor with the good, or that a lifetime of just behaviour provides a pass for a 'one-off slip'.

What he did was wrong and can not be undone. Just as all his on-field heroics and off-field charity can not be undone.

This is basically saying you will not criticise Walker and no one else should now either regardless of whether his actions now deserve it or not.

no it's not

i have not apologised or defended Walker for his slur at all - I've posted already that if he never plays for the Crows again, then so be it -

but there gets a point where you can't continually pot - It's not as if he's gone out and said it again, he's trying to make amends in which there is no easy path to do this - it's going to be awkward, it's going to be messy - But I don't think he's done anything wrong since he's owned up after being called out - I think everything else is just a pile on

Everyone has a different opinion on this and that is to be respected. There are no 'hard and fast' rule set by the AFL so it will be a personal position until there is a set of guiding rules.

I think it is really hard to expect players whose professional aspirations are closely tied to putting to best to team on the field can put those aspirations to the side when personal, cultural and deliberate harm has been done. When there has been so much education and visibility regarding racial harm, it is difficult to make a case that it wasn't a deliberate choice to create harm.

We all have an opportunity every day to not racist - I'm not sure how many chances you need if they are presented every day?

The apology and acceptance is not enough. The nation of Australia through its PM apologised for the hurt done to Indigenous Australians and this apology was broadly accepted by the Indigenous community. But it has not healed the harm. The fact that Australia has continued on without structural, policy activity on the closing gap is not soothed by the PMs apology.

What is unfair is using someones race as an insult. That 'black' inherently makes one 'worse'. Walker has had the chance to not do this - he chose not to. To provide him another opportunity to harm Indigenous people would be unfair.

Walker acknowledged and apologised for his initial actions. He acknowledged and apologised for his denial of his initial position. I am not sure if he has acknowledged that his wanting to 'lean on' Young awkward and misguided and should be addressed. I don't think there is balancing of scales with morality. That somehow you can offset the poor with the good, or that a lifetime of just behaviour provides a pass for a 'one-off slip'.

What he did was wrong and can not be undone. Just as all his on-field heroics and off-field charity can not be undone.

I agree with everything you’ve said, hence he needs to go far beyond simply apologising for his actions to win back trust.

I do disagree however with the notion that he can never be allowed to return, if he demonstrates a change in behaviour and beliefs, and the indigenous players feel comfortable and he has regained their trust, then why could he not play again? This is not to downplay the severity of what he’s done, it is completely unacceptable and inexcusable.

no it's not

i have not apologised or defended Walker for his slur at all - I've posted already that if he never plays for the Crows again, then so be it -

but there gets a point where you can't continually pot - It's not as if he's gone out and said it again, he's trying to make amends in which there is no easy path to do this - it's going to be awkward, it's going to be messy - But I don't think he's done anything wrong since he's owned up after being called out - I think everything else is just a pile on
He made a very questionable decision yesterday in stating that he asked to be allowed to go to the best and fairest.

I’ve criticised him for this action and explained why it was poor.

You have repeatedly argued that I cannot take issue with anything he does now because he’s copped so much.

it’s an irrational bizarre argument from you that makes zero sense and has no logic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm so over this Taylor Walker story. What did he actually say? The media love digging into every story and now that I want to know what was said, everyone is mute on the issue. Hard to have an opinion on the issue and Taylor Walker without knowing the comments.

It's almost as if you haven't read any of the previous 23 pages

Former Adelaide captain Taylor Walker is embroiled in a racism scandal, with the AFL investigating an allegation that he made a racial slur about an opposition player at a SANFL match.

So he apologizes when he gets caught, like the the kid who's caught with his hand in the cookie jar

Racism won't stop and people need to toughen up. Ffs we now have a law that allows police to take over your social media and can edit, delete or even post without you knowing. This is because of the complaints about trolls upsetting peoples feelings.

The most racist people I have ever encountered at an afl game are indigenous.

Want to ban me again for saying that? Is that racist? Did I hurt your feelings about my own personal observations and experiences? Toughen up if it upset you. We have a stupid cancel culture building in this country which is becoming worse than political correctness.
I mean I got banned for a week from this site for using the term whitey when I'm white, if that doesn't show you the hypocrisy of current times then I don't know what will.

Thank you for that word vomit that had very little to do with Walker and his sanctions.

No one has cancelled him, he’s free to play in round four.

Don’t get your panties in a twist because a footballer can’t say racist s**t at work anymore.

Thank you for that word vomit that had very little to do with Walker and his sanctions.

No one has cancelled him, he’s free to play in round four.

Don’t get your panties in a twist because a footballer can’t say racist sh*t at work anymore.
Can't say anything anywhere because princesses get insulted moron. Can you not see the hypocrisy of hearing white campaigners being yelled at the footy but nothing gets done about it???? Do you hear the media carrying on about racism from indigenous Australians? Do you see their memberships cancelled? And then consider how this has nothing to do with racism in afl.

Can't say anything anywhere because princesses get insulted moron. Can you not see the hypocrisy of hearing white campaigners being yelled at the footy but nothing gets done about it???? Do you hear the media carrying on about racism from indigenous Australians? Do you see their memberships cancelled? And then consider how this has nothing to do with racism in afl.
So these events justify racism??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Big difference between a player and a spectator yelling.

Also don’t know what AFL games you’re going to but I’ve been to about 6-7 a year my whole life and never heard the phrase white campaigner.

Also if you’re not aware that white Australians have not experience the same oppression as Indigenous people so the tolerance for such language directed at white people is a little higher then try reading a bit more. If I get called a white campaigner (which I’ve never been called apart from an intoxicated person on the street) it doesn’t cut me deep because I haven’t experienced oppression nor have my people because of the colour of their skin.

Thanks for your in depth analysis of issues of race at the footy, and for the glimpse into your tiny mind.

Big difference between a player and a spectator yelling.

Also don’t know what AFL games you’re going to but I’ve been to about 6-7 a year my whole life and never heard the phrase white campaigner.

Also if you’re not aware that white Australians have not experience the same oppression as Indigenous people so the tolerance for such language directed at white people is a little higher then try reading a bit more. If I get called a white campaigner (which I’ve never been called apart from an intoxicated person on the street) it doesn’t cut me deep because I haven’t experienced oppression nor have my people because of the colour of their skin.

Nah mate, racism is racism. It is a behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated based on who gives and who recieves. That whole concept is in itself racism.
You can't expect to eradicate the scourge whilst maintaining various levels of acceptance.

Gotta agree though.Been to a lot of footy and never once heard "White campaigner" being thrown around.

Nah mate, racism is racism. It is a behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated based on who gives and who recieves. That whole concept is in itself racism.
You can't expect to eradicate the scourge whilst maintaining various levels of acceptance.

Gotta agree though.Been to a lot of footy and never once heard "White campaigner" being thrown around.

Sorry I probably didn’t communicate what I was trying to say as well as I should have.

Racism in all forms should not be tolerated.

What I was trying to communicate is that for me personally, I haven’t experienced oppression because of my race, and neither has my people. As a result, being called a racist slur is just that, a racist slur, it’s not right, it’s offensive, but it doesn’t hurt me a whole lot more than being called a *head or other generic insult. Again, it’s still not right, and if an indigenous player did it I would expect the book to be thrown at them, as in order to heal we need to remove racial divides. However, in terms of the original comments I was responding to that is why the media and football clubs aren’t making a big deal about racism to white people. It is neither as prevalent nor as hurtful.

You'd hear it a lot at Traeger Park in Alice Springs. White or pink were the colours used. Pink from the players, white from over the fence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back