Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it is a good apology, and it seems to have been taken as genuine given that Young was willing to appear in the apology video.

But I really hope that people take notice of what a lot of other Aboriginal people are saying about this - that it's not an isolated one-off issue, it's something they see, hear, and feel on a regular basis.

People can have their opinions on bans length etc but really if you are claiming "education" is the only thing necessary you are being deliberately stupid.

And what if he does? Or what if the official who reported him is Indigenous, or other people around were and were offended?
Until you know what was said, how can you make judgement? What one person finds offensive, another one doesn't.

If I overheard a child I’d talk to their parents.

If I overheard a colleague I’d pass it up the line, so management can deal with it (which is what happened here)

Tex isn’t a child so I don’t understand the analogy it’s a workplace.

I don’t think they are tarnished, they have said, even between our own walls this isn’t acceptable. If you are a supporter and turning your back on the club because they reported and held a senior player to account for racism, then I don’t think you are a supporter the club or AFL want at the ground.

As for the players, they haven’t done anything, they can come out individually and condemn racism now if they feel they are tarnished, they can also condemn the action without condemning the person.

Will opposition supporters use it on social media and places like this to tarnish the supporters clubs and players? Absolutely same as they do for Eddies comments to Collingwood supporters, the Port supporters due to their own supporter & what every Carlton supporter gets over salary cap breaches. It’s annoying, but if you are allowing that to effect you that much then you need to step away.

Racism and the stance Adelaide have taken is far more important than a few uncomfortable social media and bigfooty posts from opposition fans

I’m just trying to put myself in each person’s shoes…. let’s assume for a second Walker has never before been guilty of racist comments or behavior, but let slip a comment he shouldn’t have.

Official comes over and say “Hey Tex, I heard what you said then, what’s going on mate, that’s disgraceful racist language”

Tex: “Sorry boss, I saw him hit Crouch and I saw red, I’m really sorry for using that language, it won’t happen again”.

Official : “Sorry Tex, I know you’re not a racist and I know you’re an ex-captain, but I’m going to have to dob you in to management.”

Tex: “Mate, it was heat of the moment and it will never happen again …. Please… I’m really sorry and you know it’s out of character, but I slipped up and am very remorseful for what I said”

Official : “Sorry Tex, I know this will destroy your reputation, you’ll be humiliated, your family will be humiliated and the club will be embarrassed, but I think it’s the only way to teach you a lesson for the greater good - I have no choice but to dob you in”.

You’d never put your own family member or close friend in that situation of public humiliation, so I’m just not sure it’s the best way to handle an awkward situation that hangs one of your own football ‘family’ out to dry for what may well be a one-off mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does anyone know if this counts towards Walker's '16 weeks in a career' automatic deregistration or if it is in the same allocation as the Essendon/Robinson/Dank allocation?

If so, it puts Walker on about 11 games in his lifetime tally and a loose elbow away from deregistration - pretty grim.

And?

This should be applied to everywhere. Not just a football field.
Do you think it's fair giving Young a $20k+ fine when the entire club has a budget for $210k

Especially to a fringe player who has spent most of the year languishing in the ressies?

What if Young had no problem with what Tex said?

It was clear to the official that the remark was below the belt & racially vile and that official knew better and reported it.

So if we boo "Tex" in the future for being a racist does this counter balance the booing of others players in the past who accused fans of being racist. :think:
Lol, love to see it happen but given what AFL crowds are like I very much doubt we'll hear a peep.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Racism is a big problem. Every other week we see clubs or players from various sports making a post to take a stand against racial abuse towards their players.
I'd say we see more indigenous people represented in sport than any other area too. For mine, that makes it even more important to make an example of racial abuse in footy.
Walker has probably had 10 times the diversity training than anyone, and he isnt a young man finding his way anymore. What he said is obviously how he thinks, despite all of the education he has recieved.
He will be made an example of, and he will learn, but he is only learning to keep his mouth shut in public. No sympathy from me. I'll keep that for the people getting disrespected for their skin colour, not the people who 'accidentally say things they clearly already know are racist'.

Next time Tex should just punch the next bloke he doesn't like.

Would only get suspended for 3 weeks.

This isn't even a good attempt at whatboutism.

He wasn't playing in the match. If he punched him he would have been charged with assault.

FWIW racism against East Asians in Australia is far worse than that against indigenous Australians.

FWIW?

In the context of this particular incident, "what it's worth" is sweet bugger all.

Jesus Christ the tangents people go off to obscure and obfuscate what are really pretty clear open-and-shut incidents...

Punching a bloke doesn't insult an entire group of oppressed people.

And everyone could use a punch in the face at some point in their lives, imo :drunk:

It's not about insulting someone whether they are from an oppressed group or not, but I'd argue that aboriginals haven't been oppressed for many decades. They are recognised more than any other specific racial group in Australia.

Peter Bol is a black person who spent years as a refugee in Egypt and loves Australia. The same racist country that oppresses aboriginals in 2021 helps and allows someone like Peter Bol to succeed?

It's not about insulting someone whether they are from an oppressed group or not, but I'd argue that aboriginals haven't been oppressed for many decades. They are recognised more than any other specific racial group in Australia.

Peter Bol is a black person who spent years as a refugee in Egypt and loves Australia. The same racist country that oppresses aboriginals in 2021 helps and allows someone like Peter Bol to succeed?

Nice anecdote.

I guess America and South Africa abolished racism the moment Obama and Mandela become president too eh? We did it guys!

Far out, for some people the discourse about racism, particularly systemic racism, has not progressed at all over the last decade. Read a bloody book or something... or maybe a Closing the Gap report.

The generational trauma affecting indigenous communities from over a century of dispossession and genocide can't be turned off like a tap.

Racism is an incredibly complicated subject, suggesting that because Australia got behind Peter Bol that racism is not still an issue is ridiculous.

When you dig even slightly beneath the surface you see how racism still filters through everyday life. This doesn’t make us bad people, it will take a lot of work to dismantle it and although a lot of progress has been made there is long way to go, pretending we’re perfect helps no one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back