Test Rugby Wallabies 2021 Test Series vs France

Remove this Banner Ad

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Will be a mountainous task to defeat NZ twice on their home deck.

WA did a great job hosting a game in 2019, so have been rewarded with another.

I'm guessing the MCG was dismissed due to repeated issues with covid outbreaks in Victoria.

Good article from Andrew Mehrtens on the Bledisloe, especially analysing the 5/8 position.

Like a lamb to the slaughter, as a long time Australian Rugby fan, I always look forward to the Bledisloe Cup with hope in my heart that we can uncover a side capable of causing an upset.

If we lose all of them by big margins then it's almost done for Union in Australia.
I hope not.

Personally, I'll always love the game. Something about it, can be such a pure contest.

I don't think it will die. Crowds have been strong for decades while fielding inferior teams.

Hope springs eternal :thumbsu::D

I hope not.

Personally, I'll always love the game. Something about it, can be such a pure contest.

I don't think it will die. Crowds have been strong for decades while fielding inferior teams.

Hope springs eternal :thumbsu::D

The game at local level is still relatively alive but above that it is a joke.

It’s always been NSW fault on a few fronts, not allowing a proper Oz comp, not allowing players to sign for other states and allowing players to choose club over Super comp.

You watch the supporters drop off if we get cleaned up.
There’s already more All Black supporters in Oz than there is support for the Wallabies.

Seriously the Aus Rugby should have setup a comp long ago.

3 x Clubs from Brisbane
3 x Clubs from Sydney
1 x Club from ACT/Country NSW
1 x Club from Vic/Tas
1 x Club from SA
1 x Club from WA

The French have arrived, hopefully all test matches stay intact without any restrictions.
Unlikely given they are meant to play at the scg on the 7th. At best there will be a crowd limit, at worst it will be postponed or moved (bankwest would be my guess)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many mistakes. I thought they had thrown it away but that last lineout was incredible.

The snap, crackle, pop we got from the new halfback was sensational. He was the one who won the ball after the great work from the forwards to disrupt the French.

First 20 minutes we didn't look like a Super rugby side let alone a Test side. All unfocused, disjointed play with unforced errors and bad missed tackles. We got lucky that the French let it slip so badly in the 2nd half, most of the other best sides in the world wouldn't have let that slip from where they got to imo. They'd have played the percentages, played for territory and not made the many kicking, lineout, scrum, handling error mistakes the French did.

But nevertheless, very pleasing that we stuck with it and after the first 20 minutes I thought we were the better side. We had plenty of chances to score and take the lead but we still made some errors particularly around the ruck in letting players get isolated and the French to turn the ball over.

Of the starters, I thought Phillip, Paenga-Amosa, Hooper, Wilson, Paisami, and Koroibete were our best with great contributions from Tupou, Swain, McDermott off the bench.

Banks, Salakaia-Loto, Valetini, Gordon all continue to not convince me that they're Test quality. Valetini has had a great Super rugby season but I just don't quite see Test-level aggression and phyiscality in him that you need from your blindside at this stage. He's only 22 so I hope it comes with a bit more experience. Salakaia-Loto I have less hope for that he'll come good, his body height has always been too high in contact imo and it prevents him from really using his weight to good effect in defence and attack. McDermott deserves to start next Test over Gordon and Banks I guess is there because there aren't better alternatives. I imagine all bar Gordon will keep their spot for continuity in the side.

First 20 minutes we didn't look like a Super rugby side let alone a Test side. All unfocused, disjointed play with unforced errors and bad missed tackles. We got lucky that the French let it slip so badly in the 2nd half, most of the other best sides in the world wouldn't have let that slip from where they got to imo. They'd have played the percentages, played for territory and not made the many kicking, lineout, scrum, handling error mistakes the French did.

But nevertheless, very pleasing that we stuck with it and after the first 20 minutes I thought we were the better side. We had plenty of chances to score and take the lead but we still made some errors particularly around the ruck in letting players get isolated and the French to turn the ball over.

Of the starters, I thought Phillip, Paenga-Amosa, Hooper, Wilson, Paisami, and Koroibete were our best with great contributions from Tupou, Swain, McDermott off the bench.

Banks, Salakaia-Loto, Valetini, Gordon all continue to not convince me that they're Test quality. Valetini has had a great Super rugby season but I just don't quite see Test-level aggression and phyiscality in him that you need from your blindside at this stage. He's only 22 so I hope it comes with a bit more experience. Salakaia-Loto I have less hope for that he'll come good, his body height has always been too high in contact imo and it prevents him from really using his weight to good effect in defence and attack. McDermott deserves to start next Test over Gordon and Banks I guess is there because there aren't better alternatives. I imagine all bar Gordon will keep their spot for continuity in the side.

While we can celebrate the last minute win, also have to understand that this is France B team that was just released out of quarantine.

Wallabies performance was underwhelming and they will be trashed in their upcoming games against the Boks and AB's if they continue with this scrappy gameplan.

While we can celebrate the last minute win, also have to understand that this is France B team that was just released out of quarantine.

Wallabies performance was underwhelming and they will be trashed in their upcoming games against the Boks and AB's if they continue with this scrappy gameplan.
You have to equally consider this was the first test and that the quality that has been seen in glimpses was very good football. And there actually seems to be some sort of structure and game plan that I haven't seen the wallabies play.

It will be good to see how we play against the boks (who are dealing with covid cases current) and the Northern powers like Wales and Ireland. The ABs will be a good test, but we also haven't seen what the ABs are like against quality teams.

Btw they may have been in quarantine, but that doesn't mean they didn't train for that period. There is an allowance given to them to train as they would but it is done in a bubble and the players get tested as normal. The Tri nations, nix and warriors all were able to use the same structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back