Wallabies' Spring Tour

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
A month out from the Wallabies game against the Barbarians and with the injuries sustained at the RWC (Cooper, Beale, Vickerman, Palu, Mitchell, McCabe etc.), what should be the team to play at Twickenham and against Wales in Cardiff?

I'd go with something like this (assuming those I've named above are definitely unavailable):

15. Ashley-Cooper
14. Ioane
13. Horne
12. O'Connor
11. Turner
10. Barnes
9. Genia
8. Timani (desperate pick here, honestly can't think of anyone better, McCalman played badly at the RWC, Hodgson is too small, nowhere near as big a fan of Samo as everyone else seems to be, contemplated Beau Robinson for a second but have him on the bench)
7. Pocock
6. Higginbotham (Elsom will get picked surely though...)
5. Horwill
4. Sharpe
3. Alexander
2. Moore
1. Kepu

16. TPN
17. Slipper (would like to see Dan Palmer given a go some day)
18. Simmons
19. Robinson
20. Phipps (Burgess is gone)
21. Tapuai
22. Morahan

Can't fault anything you've said S120, but a question, do you think O'Connor will get tried in the midfield as a playmaker? He had requested it.

I think it's a much better chance now that Beale, McCabe and Cooper are either ruled out or under injury clouds. Deans has seemed somewhat hesitant to push JOC too far infield so far but hopefully this makes it too hard for him to ignore. It just seems like a sort of domino effect could make it happen like this:

Cooper injured --> Barnes plays at 10 --> Barnes obviously then unable to play at 12 in place of McCabe who is also injured --> AAC next best option at 15 without Beale so AAC can't play in the centres --> 13 opens up for Horne or Fainga'a but Horne is the better player and is liked by Deans --> Fainga'a preferred by Deans at 13 rather than 12 --> JOC slots into 12 with Turner taking up his wing spot

It just seems to make sense to me with Quade, KB and McCabe all gone. I'd play JOC at 12 before McCabe anyway but Deans is a big McCabe fan. I think the time is now to get JOC ready at 12 for the next RWC. He will almost certainly play there for the Rebels this year (with Cipriani at 10 and KB at 15, they won't waste him on the wing) and I think he could be a revelation at inside centre. One way or another, a way has to be found for him to get his hands on the ball more often. He has tremendous ball running ability but I think his ball playing is underrated as well and with time in the midfield, it could become brilliant.

Thanks for the answer. He has good pace though on the wing. But definitely should be given a chance to show those skills.

15. O'Connor
14. Ioane
13. Horne
12. Ashley-Cooper
11. Turner
10. Barnes
9. Genia
8. Higginbotham (Would love some more Radike Samo but we must look to the future and Scotty has been very impressive in stages).
7. Pocock
6. Elsom
5. Horwill
4. Simmonds
3. Alexander
2. Moore
1. Kepu

Agree with much of your squad S120 but with a few changes. I much prefer James O'Connor at full-back when Beale isn't playing. It free's him up to run much more than playing in the midfield and he defends brilliantly in the back three. If he does well for the Rebels next year, then move him, but I really think he is our best 15 behind Beale. Adding to that, the thought of he, Turner and Ioane at the back is very exciting.

Horwill and Simmonds can continue forming a strong combination as locks as I think they are our future- more than Nathan Sharpe and Dan Vickerman. I also think Higginbotham should be given an extended period of time starting. I know he is a fantastic impact player, but he has the talent to start from the outset and really dominate a match.

The centres was probably the hardest for me to decide. I prefer a play-maker at 12, but unless we bring Matt Giteau back from the wilderness, we only have crash-ball centres (McCabe and Faainga) along with the talented but very limited Horne and Mr Versatile, AAC. I think Horne should be given a good crack in Europe as he has the talent to do real damage, while I would rather AAC's versatility over the two spuds who had terrible World Cup's.

The other difficult one was the hooker. None of the three are in form but Faainga has been pretty woeful since Super 15 and TPN let us down considerably at the World Cup. I guess Moore is the best of a pretty bad bunch at the moment, but all have their days (nights) in the sun.

Bit of an error from me. I meant that we have seen him on very limited occasions for Australia (due to injury) but he's been very impressive for both the Wallabies and the Waratahs when he's on the park. His footwork and reading of the play is outstanding while his acceleration is also super strong. I see him as a similar type of player to Conrad Smith from the All-Blacks. A very well rounded and traditional centre with little weaknesses.

I just really hope he gets an extended run with no injury.

A very well rounded and traditional centre with little weaknesses.

That sums up Rob Horne perfectly. If (and it is a big "if") he can keep fit, he is our next 13 for the next 8-10 years IMO. He is a wonderfully talented player. Needs as much time in the Wallabies outside centre position as possible.

He's just constantly injured. And if his body can never take the rigours of professional rugby, it would be a great shame. A centre combo of O'Connor and Horne looking towards the 2015 RWC makes me hard downstairs, I'll be honest.

Also hope Lachie Turner gets another go with some of our backs injured. Good player, not a superstar, but I think he is a more than capable replacement for Mitchell/Beale in the back 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back