Wallabies v Boks 14-14

Remove this Banner Ad

elt

All Australian
Apr 6, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Overall I thought it was a fairly uninspiring contest once again marred by bewildering refereeing. The attack from both sides was fairly substandard and the only highlight for mine was the standard of the Bok's defence. It was reminiscint of how the Wallabies defended in the World Cup of 99 with multiple phases just out from the line but no-one could get across.

I thought we were lucky to still be in it, especially after not really capitalising on the two second half sin-bins. The surprising thing was that we were still in it. Even with a shonky scrum and Burke's worst kicking performance of recent times (yes even including Lions game two). This really tightens up the Tri-Nations but the Wallabies will have to improve markedly if they are going to retain the trophy. I hope the All-Blacks beat the Bok's in Kiwiland so we can play out the decider in Eales' last test. It will be interesting to see the Kiwi reaction if they win considering "The Tri-Nations means nothing to them" and "It is so meaningless that it should only be played every second year".

Typically of a draw, I was left with that flat empty feeling but wouldn't it have been great to see Larkham do it again :D

nice wrap up elt

I didn't see very much of the game, maybe 1/2 an hour or so, mostly end of first half and beginning of second half so I can't really comment on the game as a whole.

The refereeing was better than last time. The Kiwi guy seemed to be prepared to at least play a sensible advantage (not TOO long that is) and he did well in policing the high tackles and scrappy play. He was prepared to cut both forwrad packs a bit of slack concerning proper binding, staying on your feet and ebnetering the ruck from the wrong position.

The Springboks tried to kill the ball a few times in the ruck and the ref was quite right to sin-bin Skinstad for repeated offences.

From the little I saw, Sth Africa seemed to be content to kill Wallaby momentum and then get them on the rebound. These tactics never really make for great rugby I must say but you cannot blame the Springboks for doing whatever it takes to win (or at least draw).

The poor goalkicking would not have impressed the Aussie-Rules literate crowd at all.

cheers

Yep BSA I agree the refereeing had improved. However there were some questionable decisions in the scrum, notably one penalising Gregan for not feeding the ball in when the Boks were engaging early and pushing over the half way line so as not to allow the feed. Also I thought the consistent killing of the ball and professional fouls should have been addressed earlier than what they were.

I have no problems with the Boks trying any tactic, all I want is for them to be penalised appropriately when they breach the rules. That said I usually find their brand of rugby to be more mundande and un-inspiring than the Wallabies v All-Blacks tests.

The goal kicking was poor and not just from Burke but I guess it happens in pressure situations.

Regardless of the All Black/Boks result the Wallabies can still retain the Tri-Nations with a win in Sydney but I'd rather see the Kiwis win the next test. That way we are playing your mob with the winner taking the trophy, rather than the All-Blacks playing to stop us winning it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back