Wallis - what to do, what to do??

Remove this Banner Ad

What does the story coming after he left have to do with anything? That link you posted is irrelevant.

He didn't want to pull up fit and play for us, he clearly wanted a fresh start and he got it.
He didn't want to pull up fit? Wrong.

The pressure of his form and a contract year got to him. The injury took the pressure off him playing. He explained that as a relief.

He didn't not want to play for us. He felt he deserved more than we offered.

And after his years of service we could've found a bit more for him.

You jump on his Instagram now and he's removed all signs of ever being a Bulldog. And there was plenty of him as a dogs player until he left. Now is that the sign of someone who "just wanted a fresh start" or someone who felt he was hard done by?

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So this is a 2018 Dahlhaus thread now?

Hawks had Liam Shiels in their 2013-15 team, Tigers had Ellis/Grigg in 17, Shaun Hart won NS medal as the 7th best midfielder in the team for Brisbane in 01..........no team is filled with only Bontempellis, Judds and Abletts. ( our key defenders in 16 were Roberts and Hamling and Cordy was CHF!!!)

Wally is a good solid best 22 midfielder who is capable of a 2018 GF Sheed game. No reason to get rid of him. He’s behind Bont, Jack, Dunks, Hunter, Libba, Smith IMHO but that is good news. It’s a bloody deep midfield we have. Yeah his disposal can be iffy but tbh superstar in waiting Josh Dunkley is winning on sheer volume not kicking efficiency. Wallis helps give all those guys a spell without diminishing the standard much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both are surplus to needs.

Move on.
Both are surplus to best 22 needs.

Turns out Wally might have a not insignificant mentoring and fellowship role to play with young Smith and is very solid depth in his own right.

No world beater but in the end I reckon we got it right with a 3 year contract for him and wouldnt be trading him out. Doubt he's looking either.

He is actually a very good half forward. Why not play him as a defensive forward? Shut down a running half back and can also kick a goal or two.

He is actually a very good half forward. Why not play him as a defensive forward? Shut down a running half back and can also kick a goal or two.
If he's in the team this is where he plays imo. Our midfield is well balanced without him. And we have libba to come in plus West as depth. Not needed as an inside mid. No good as an outside mid.

If he was a part of a plan to land a solid trade target in a position of need then we’d be mad not to take a look but just for the sake of moving him on? Nah, he’s worth much more to us staying then an average draft pick.

I suspect he’ll get about the first look at one of the small/mid forward roles next season and whilst I think he is more limited in this role then most on here believe, he does the basics really well.

I guess I’m aiming for the slightly poorer man’s version of Chris Mayne at Freo 6-7 years ago. That looks his go.

He must be far more highly regarded by Beveridge than this Board. He is ordinarily in the best 22 except when he's injured, coming back from injury or being disciplined. I'd say he is given specific instructions by Beveridge and sticks to them, which is why. The flaw in his game is his lack of pace, that catches you out as a pressure small forward of defender but you can get away with it as a high forward or inside mid.

I started this thread at a time I seriously could not see a place for Wallis in our best 22. I will happily admit I was massively wrong on this one. He has turned into a reliable, tough, inspirational player. Bleeds for the jumper and a good role model for the youngsters. Close thread!!!!!

I started this thread at a time I seriously could not see a place for Wallis in our best 22. I will happily admit I was massively wrong on this one. He has turned into a reliable, tough, inspirational player. Bleeds for the jumper and a good role model for the youngsters. Close thread!!!!!
I started a similar thread about Dunkley about 2 years ago, I’ve been eating humble pie since!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We keep Wallis. You dont trade away heart and soul players. We made a mistake letting go of Roughy and Dahl last year (IMO). Wallis when fit is still a good player, kicks goals and can find the pill. To move him on would be folly.
Stay the course people

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's no player on our list that I want to do well more than Mitch, has always worked really hard, great clubman and great bloke but he was too slow and his field kicking hurt us in the midfield, I was starting to think he wasn't quite good enough. His move forward has been a revelation, the move plays to his strengths, hes a great mark, hes strong, works hard and his set shot kicking is really reliable. Should be right up there in our BnF and should be VC next year.

I’ll put my hand up too CDB. I think the term I used at the time was “not a fwds a-hole”.
Imo opinion I still think that at the time he hadn’t found himself at league level. Struggling as a mid, not doing much as a fwd, injuries, temptation to leave for another club. Could’ve easily been lost to the sport.

To Wallys credit, he’s not only worked hard to hold a very important role on field but he seems to have found his role within the club.
If he finishes his career on this trajectory, he’ll be highly regarded amongst Dogs fans for years to come. Something I and I’m tipping many others would’ve struggled to imagine a few years back.

His set shot kicking is quite remarkable for someone who isn’t known as a great kick. It shows someone who is quite confident within themselves and can handle pressure mentally.

Those sort of guys are invaluable come a finals series.

Has turned himself into an excellent 3rd fwd, he can take a strong grab, his body is strong so defenders struggle with him, he’s a great set shot at goal and he’s smart at ground level.
Really happy to see him turn it around the way he has especially after that car crash broken leg where some players would struggle to even get back on the field after that kind of injury.

Agree with the vc calls that have been floating around this board for him too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back