Toast WalshWatch 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Two observations:

1, the Rozee buzz will take the heat and pressure of Walsh for a lot of weeks this season, also driving him to improve as a player

2, I wouldn’t be surprised if Walsh was in the leadership group next year.

Great analysis by all.

Walsh will be better than Cotchin and Selwood. You can take that to the bank. The kid is a genuine freak of nature. What he's done so far as an 18 year old is unprecedented yet the media find a way to down play it because he's a Carlton man.

We are Carlton ### the rest. Let them hate.

relatively easy hurdle to beat Bairstow for next week . presumably the opposition started tagging him. Something that our Sam will have to start dealing with as well.

/QUOTE]

That tag will have to come from somewhere - from off one of Crippa's legs for example. So that would be a good outcome overall.
I have a feeling that most tagging players would struggle to stay with Sammy - he'll exhaust them.

Ah, if Sam doesn't get the NRS, it would be annoying, but **** 'em. If the people to whom it falls to hand out what seems to be a rather subjective award don't wish to recognize Sam then more fool them.

Sam has already nailed his debut season, I'm now concerned that he goes on and nails his second season, avoiding the "second year blues". THAT would show that he's truly special! More so than any award. :)

The most important thing that Walsh brings to Carlton is a wake-up call to all other young kids at Carlton regarding on and off field standards. As others have said - can't wait till Walsh goes through a second pre-season and puts on some more strength to match his endurance and run - look out when he can start shrugging off weaker tackles. We are starting to see the difference in greater body size that is helping young Jack play stronger contests instead of just trying hard - he will surprise many in coming years.

Seen a lot of comparisons of Walsh to Joel Selwood.

They never seemed right to me; Selwood is this super-tough, strong inside general. Walsh is inside-out, uber-efficient, with elite running and off-the-charts footy IQ. More like Cotchin++ (Arr0w TM).

BUT then I looked at some stats - keeping in mind Joel Selwood was one of the great 'off-the-bat' recruits of recent times, averaging 19, 25 and 27 in his first three seasons in spectacular Geelong sides.

Walsh is getting more of the ball vs Selwood (no surprise).... but the interesting thing is Walsh is winning more contested ball than Selwood did in his first year.....not just per game, but a higher contested/uncontested split (contested out of total possessions). Comfortably more clearances too. Although less tackles.

From memory, Sam Walsh was super impressive in his u18 underage year. But he was almost purely outside. His inside game was a 'new trick' he added in 2018 (as you do). Surprisingly, Walsh is averaging a higher contested possession split than Selwood did in any of his first four seasons!

Now this is not about who is better Sam Walsh or Joel Selwood or even meant to be a direct comparison. BUT I do want to point out (to myself mostly) that while Selwood was an instant gun, he developed into the player he is today over time. Walsh is just 18yo. He could be anything. Joel Selwood 2.0. Trent Cotchin 2.0. Or perhaps even better still, Sam Walsh 1.0.....

This is definitely what has jumped out to me while watching him. Most players that excel in their debut years seem to do so off the back of one clear dominant trait (I think of the way Ollie Wines slotted straight into an inside mid role for us in 2013, because of how physically developed he was). Walsh just seems so rounded in terms of inside/outside mix. As good as he is already, you can see how much he'll grow into the role in the next couple of years.

D5nArmYUUAEob6C.jpg

Heard Lloyd spruiking there were two kids playing for Carey that are going to be better than Walsh.

There are going to be some serious guns running around the competition next season.
Lloyd is an imbecile of the highest order, even Essendon mates reckon he is a flog.
But he was also one of the best 18yo's to ever play. FLOG!!!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the same excited , unbridled optimistic , warm fuzzy feeling watching young Walshy as I did when watching Diesel and Judd when they came. ( Diesel the 2nd time.First time what were we thinking!!!).
Before that had to go back to when Sticks, Braddles , Mots and Dora came to get that feeling .
So crank up the Beatles "I got a feeling" sit back and imagine our 17th flag, It's coming.

Ringa Ringa now ahead of Walsh.

D58dimIU8AAn8dJ

I haven't fully looked into the mathematics of Player Ratings, but how Bailey Scott and Sam Walsh are on the same graph is mind-boggling. I'd think those "bars" should be a lot further apart. No disrespect to young Bailey who has shown a bit, but he's played 4 games, 1 of them good versus Walsh's 7 from 7, all good. They shouldn't be in the same conversation. (Rozee definitely should, what a jet and what a start to his career!)

Last edited:
I haven't fully looked into the mathematics of Player Ratings, but how Bailey Scott and Sam Walsh are on the same graph is mind-boggling. I'd think those "bars" should be a lot further apart. No disrespect to young Bailey who has shown a bit, but he's played 4 games, 1 of them good versus Walsh's 7 from 7, all good. They shouldn't be in the same conversation. (Rozee definitely should, what a jet and what a start to his career!)

Cool yer jets, Faz.

The graph is showing each of the Rising Star nominees, so Bailey Scott there in that capacity.

All those guys have had great games this year, although Walsh and Rozee on another level so far.

Just watched and extended interview with him with the Ladies division on Fox Footy. Wow. This kid is 18 going on 35. Poise, quiet confidence, eloquence, humility, humour.

Likely to be an all time great in the making. I'm going to enjoy watching he and Crippa holding up #17

Remove this Banner Ad

Back