News Walters and Frederick of Fremantle racially vilified on social media (stay on topic pls)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you have to vote for someone who reflects your own ideas. I'm not going to vote for the Greens if they don't stand for things I believe in, am I?

I choose my own preferences. I don't need someone to tell me how to do my preferences. All three major parties came last (Greens at the bottom obviously)
Some people would argue that even if a party reflects your own ideas (sic), if they also reflect some ideals that you find abhorrent - you're a s**t person if you still vote for them.

Controversial opinion.

While it's ******* terrible and nobody no matter what color or race, nobody should ever be exposed or experience the terrible incidents. I feel for the people that have experienced, I hate it as much as the next person.

The opinion I have that may be seen as controversial or supportive of racism is that if you keep on raising incidents like the Fremantle footy club has, it just fuels the fire for the absolute filth that write the terrible things.

This is the reaction they probably wanted, I agree that if nothing is said than nothing can and will be done.

Before you all jump down my throat and call me a racist or say I support it or am an occasion racist, you couldn't be further from the truth.

That's not true at all. Sadly.

Clearly, it is.

Watch any TV show from the 90s or early 2000s and see how they show flash backs to more racist times - it was bad then but it's shocking now because it's not at all normalised.

Genuine hate for people based off the colour of their skin or ethnic background is disappearing. Even the local elders here agree with me, maybe it's different over East.

That's true, I just don't think we should report them, it will then promote trolls who see fit that they want to outrage and get the reaction.

I also don't want it to be silenced because people need educating and need to understand that it's not okay and it never was or never will.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yeah I understand. It's not a simple issue to resolve, which is why we're in 2022 and it's still a thing.

I'm fine with it being reported on if it ties back to an identifiable person, because then there can be consequences. Reporting on some random anonymous person achieves less and is just bait, even it creates awareness of a problem.

Clearly, it is.

Watch any TV show from the 90s or early 2000s and see how they show flash backs to more racist times - it was bad then but it's shocking now because it's not at all normalised.

Genuine hate for people based off the colour of their skin or ethnic background is disappearing. Even the local elders here agree with me, maybe it's different over East.

No doubt as people get more educated, racism in most societies is decreasing - but to say almost everyone is shocked and horrified by this stuff, is just wrong.

There's still heaps of racist pricks out there. There's literally Facebook groups full of this type of s**t.

I think that's a good idea, I also think the AFL should have a permanent flag/logo attached to their brand. I don't think it's divisive, but I can see how people think that it is.
Yeah, well it was noted that the clubs mostly do a fantastic job with the indigenous guernseys, the AFL refuse to do otherwise and modify the AFL logo to display the colours black, ochre and yellow of the aboriginal flag (and throw some in green/blue for TSI). Instead preferring to maintain the red, white and blue of the union jack, then making the clubs place that on the indigenous jumper, like some sort of small colonial power demonstrating its brutal and absolute authority over the indigenous population.

Stick on topic pls, those that would like to discuss further and elaborate on community standards and the individual perception of racism are free to do so on the SRP board.

The issue is that the 'right' of politics sides with genuine racists because it suits them from a power perspective.

Same with sexists, and pretty much any other a-hole that will vote for them.

So really, if you support the 'right' of politics, whether you like it or not - you're in the same corner as some really s**t people with some really s**t beliefs.
Very easy to apply the same generalisation to supporters of the left side of politics. Could equally be said they’re in bed with some vile, abhorrent P.O.S. Or is that side of politics all pure as the driven snow? Spare us the humbug.

No doubt as people get more educated, racism in most societies is decreasing - but to say almost everyone is shocked and horrified by this stuff, is just wrong.

There's still heaps of racist pricks out there. There's literally Facebook groups full of this type of s**t.

In a nation of 25 million even if there is 250,000 people not, the rest is almost everyone. Don't be fooled by the reach of small numbers of voices.

That so many people are revolted by this singular person's words is a reason to celebrate and come together more.

We are all humans first.

Controversial opinion.

While it's ******* terrible and nobody no matter what color or race, nobody should ever be exposed or experience the terrible incidents. I feel for the people that have experienced, I hate it as much as the next person.

The opinion I have that may be seen as controversial or supportive of racism is that if you keep on raising incidents like the Fremantle footy club has, it just fuels the fire for the absolute filth that write the terrible things.

This is the reaction they probably wanted, I agree that if nothing is said than nothing can and will be done.

Before you all jump down my throat and call me a racist or say I support it or am an occasion racist, you couldn't be further from the truth.

Hard disagree. When you call out this behaviour, you are drawing a clear line in the sand to say it is not acceptable.

A culture of racism is perpetuated when nobody is willing the draw that line. I know this because I grew up racist, homophobic, etc., and it was because nobody had the guts to call out crook s**t when it was said so I grew up thinking it was normal and okay to think/say those sorts of things.

Controversial opinion.

I can see why that's a genuine argument but honestly, in an almost oxymoronic way, the only thing that is guaranteed to promote this kind of behaviour more is silence. That's just tacit approval and the dropkick who does this just ends up bragging about the s**t they sent an AFL player to their mates.

At least there's an implied shame with a troll's reward being public: They know they're being a piece of s**t and they can't really own it publicly. Whilst they might be getting a kind of psycopathic high from it it's known as a negative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, if Lamumba sneezes it becomes a multi thread shitshow ragging on him and other black players, yet something actually abhorrent happens and its crickets? Or are you all just scared of alienating the 50% of this site that legitimately agrees with the comments, or the other 25% who dont but think its ok to say things like that because "free speech".

To all the snowflakes who sook about 'keeping politics out of footy', this is exactly why its needed.

=================================
EDIT.

The post:

View attachment 1445597
I hadn't actually seen it specifically, but that's terrible to send to someone.

Some people are just garbage people though, like the person who sent that message. Unfortunately, there will always be people like that.

I'm not saying do nothing about it, all I'm saying is I don't know what the solution is. I'm not sure there is a perfect response or solution. Some say call it out, some say that is exactly what these trolls want and it encourages them to do it more so just ignore it. I don't know which is the right response. As an individual, at least I can control my actions and we hope that in time, more individuals do the right thing.

I might think that person is garbage for sending it, but does he really care? At least the name and shame might lose him some respect and opportunity from peers/ get him banned from his account etc in real life.

Oh there’s personal consequences for sure, this knobhead’s name and picture have been doing the rounds on social media. He’s already deleted all his accounts.
I’d be very surprised if this hasn’t found a way to his employer, gf or other personal connections. So now everyone knows the racist piece of s**t he really is.

Which is exactly why drawing a light to it and naming and shaming these scumbags is important. No getting away with it anymore in the social media age.
That'll work in some cases, but won't stop all the comments from "CoolBOI69"'s Instagram account, etc....

Controversial opinion.

I would say most would agree with your opinion if it was just some no name, no followers, no picture burner account who’s only intent was to get some sort of reaction. In those cases there is unfortunately no real consequence to the troll from the public reaction, they will simply just laugh and probably move on to the next target. Players probably receive far more hateful messages that the general public will ever know of because they don’t release them.

However, in cases like this one where the perpetrator is using their main account that links to personal details, I think publicly outing them is fine. He definitely did not want this reaction as he’s since deleted all of his social media accounts.

G

Genuine question:

If a poll was put on this site with the screenshot published earlier (that has the abuse uncensored) and the question: ‘What is your gut reaction to these messages sent to Michael Frederick?’

With the voting options:

• The comments make me sick to the stomach
  • The guy who posted that needs some help
  • Trolls going to trill
  • Well it was a dodgy 50m free kick so cut the guy some alack
  • Damn right

How do you think BigFooty would respond?

(Assuming votes in polls were 100% anonymous and people could vote for what they genuinely feel).
I would vote for none of the above.
Who ******* cares, you're on social media and a guy dm's you. You don't know this guy then why are you opening it and reading it, DELETE IT. If that opinion makes me a racist, so be it. Society is a Marxist ceasepool anyway so have at it.

The young man Frederick will have the last laugh over the troll when he has a house paid off by the time he's 25-26, has a hot Mrs and has a nice super egg all tucked away by the time he retires. Then there's the football networking that helps you gain jobs for the rest of your life if you play it smart. The other bloke might be drawing on his super sooner than he thought.

Didn't hear about this. What happened?

He might be referring to the MB North game day thread which had a few hateful comments posted.
Someone on Twitter said Goldstein was a protected species due to being Jewish and Hitler should have killed his family.

Controversial opinion.

I don't think you're a racist for writing this, you're just trying your best to mitigate the impact these racist trolls have - I get it.

I do however disagree - they should be exposed, by which medium? I'm not too sure. Perhaps, it is best to raise it with their employer directly where possible, as that has a lasting impact on the person writing such things no doubt. If they are self-employed, an official body such as Fremantle or the AFL leaving a Google Review on Jimmy's Plumbing Melton [insert generic blue collar sole-trader business name here] would be pretty impactful.

It's interesting, as what I'm suggesting is not too dissimilar to a Social Credits system, which I am totally against - but with a reputable body making a statement against an individual with far less social tickets does kind of blur the lines.

Thought provoking post and anyone suggesting you're a racist isn't reading between the lines here.

Controversial opinion.

I'm not sure this kind of thing is the same as 'platforming', which is definitely what some of these arseholes are after. There was none of the legitimising that comes with that, and it wasn't an anonymous account either.

I don't see what the alternative is in such an instance. I'd rather awareness than ignorance of it.

A bit of Elder discipline and justice is in order.

Wouldn't that be just perfect.
I had a machete pulled on me working in Alice Springs I recognised a gentleman in the back seat.
Next time I saw the gentleman I told him his not welcome until the machete man faces justice.
I saw the machete man a week later he apologised but looked like he had been dropped out of a plane.
Lesson taught!

I would vote for none of the above.
Who ******* cares, you're on social media and a guy dm's you. You don't know this guy then why are you opening it and reading it, DELETE IT. If that opinion makes me a racist, so be it. Society is a Marxist ceasepool anyway so have at it.
Yes that makes you racist, and a bad person. Responding to someone getting that kind of vile abuse with 'just don't read it' makes you just as bad.

Please enlighten me as to the last time simply ignoring a problem made it go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back