News Walters and Frederick of Fremantle racially vilified on social media (stay on topic pls)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
No. Racism against white people doesn't exist. Sure, white people can suffer from individual racist acts or abuse. But racism as a societal thing (ie the being thought of as lesser, being treated as lesser because of your skin, etc) doesn't exist.

I have never once in my life felt lesser to anyone because of race!?
I'm pretty sure you don't mean it this way - but to suggest it is kinda like suggesting I should have reason to feel lesser?

No joke my Dad literally would thing he is superior to white ppl because of the particular nation he is from.
My mum from a different Arab nation not so much.
Even the concept that only a white person can even think of themself as superior to others seems extremely racist in itself, I wouldn't mind you clarifying that position.
I'm actually curious as to how you are thinking about this. Or are you saying because we are in Australia there is no such thing as racism as in this country white ppl are the majority?

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Nice one, I'm not even white...

I may have read the flow of conversation wrong but I believe I was responding to a post suggesting that you can't be racist to a white person.
But you can jump to your massive conclusion all you want.
Your colour means nothing to whether you're a white supremacist. The leader of one of the literal anti immigration nazi parties in Victoria was an I didn't immigrant.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I have never once in my life felt lesser to anyone because of race!?
I'm pretty sure you don't mean it this way - but to suggest it is kinda like suggesting I should have reason to feel lesser?

No joke my Dad literally would thing he is superior to white ppl because of the particular nation he is from.
My mum from a different Arab nation not so much.
Even the concept that only a white person can even think of themself as superior to others seems extremely racist in itself, I wouldn't mind you clarifying that position.
I'm actually curious as to how you are thinking about this. Or are you saying because we are in Australia there is no such thing as racism as in this country white ppl are the majority?
As a whole, white people do not suffer prejudice or disadvantage due to their colour. That is the definition of racism.

That is not to say you cannot abuse a white person racially, but that is an isolated incident.

Of course, that is in the western world, when considering the generic term white to cover all Anglo etc races, in the same way black covers Africans, asian covers all Asians etc. There is certainly racism in some African and Asian countries against white people. And white people can be racist to each other within that group, eg the French and italians can be racist to one another.

But when you are in Australia and say are white people disadvantaged because of their skin, the answer is no.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Do we know if what was said was actually illegal ?

Should all mean words be illegal or just some?

As someone else said, online trolls exist for notoriety. If they get ignored they crawl back under their rock.
It is illegal. There's a Racial and Religious Tolerance Act in Victoria which outlaws abuse on the basis of race or skin colour, which this obviously was.

It isn't difficult to work out which "mean words" shouldn't be tolerated.

Same way we do with every other media company. If a reporter writes something they shouldn't have, both the reporter and publisher get fines etc.

Twitter/Facebook is a just a publisher.

If they're made partially liable for what they publish, then they'll do more to prevent it.
Moronic.

Media is vetted before publication. Social media posts, comments and messages cannot be. Not analogous at all.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Racism does not exist for white people in the same manner that it exists for any other group (in Western countries). That is a pretty undeniable claim. There is nothing institutional or systematic about it, unlike there is for plenty of other ethnic groups.

But when you are in Australia and say are white people disadvantaged because of their skin, the answer is no.

I understand the premise - and it's less racist than saying white ppl are unable to be oppressed FULLSTOP

But to suggest that only white people are capable of wielding power over others still plays out like whites are all powerful and us ethnics are weak.
Can you not see how that is a form of white supremacism in itself?
Essentially you are suggesting that 'the powerful' should show benevolence to those less powerful than them - with the implications being that you are the powerful.

it's just not been my experience in all my time here and I came here at a very young age.
Admittedly I am not the most cultural of ppl and I have an aussie accent. But I'm still quite clearly a brown man - there is nothing that can stop me achieving whatever I want to.
It's in my hands - not because other powerful ppl apparently "fought the system" on my behalf. And I'll teach my kids that - it's on them.

Last edited:

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
You don't care if people are racially abused. That literally makes you racist.
"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalised"
I don't see any mention of not caring inthis description.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
It is illegal. There's a Racial and Religious Tolerance Act in Victoria which outlaws abuse on the basis of race or skin colour, which this obviously was.

The intentionally obtuse act put forth by so many is pretty embarrassing.

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Racism does not exist for white people in the same manner that it exists for any other group (in Western countries). That is a pretty undeniable claim. There is nothing institutional or systematic about it, unlike there is for plenty of other ethnic groups.
That's so wrong. While in Japan, I was cursed at by an old Japtness fella who looked at me like he hated me. Was that not racism?
Another time I was working with my dad at a show home and I had a couple of Indian fellas call me a cracker. That also mustn't be racism.
I can now rest easy that I haven't been exposed to racism in my life.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
That's so wrong. While in Japan, I was cursed at by an old Japtness fella who looked at me like he hated me. Was that not racism?
Another time I was working with my dad at a show home and I had a couple of Indian fellas call me a cracker. That also mustn't be racism.
I can now rest easy that I haven't been exposed to racism in my life.
You can’t even read, can you? Go reread my first sentence again, right to the very end if possible.

If you think being called a cracker by two Indian guys is the equivalent of anything discussed in this thread, then there’s nothing more to say to you.

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
You can’t even read, can you? Go reread my first sentence again, right to the very end if possible.

If you think being called a cracker by two Indian guys is the equivalent of anything discussed in this thread, then there’s nothing more to say to you.
Sorry I was trying to reply to another post that was about there being no racism towards white people.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
The way I try to look at these incidents is in the last 12-months 1 x person has made direct, abhorrent racist comments to Frederick on social media. 26,000,000 people haven’t.

This doesn’t excuse the racism or make it acceptable, but for as long as any of us live there’ll be racists, bullies, sexist pigs, peadophiles, transphobics, homophobics etc…. we need to call it out and try our best to minimise it, but we shouldn’t tar the entire community with assumptions of racism based on isolated mental defectives on social media, as if you think they won’t be still typing away with bigoted commentary in 50-years time you’ll
be disappointed.

So call it out, condemn it and try to minimise it with penalties for the perpetrators, but don’t lose hope on all of society due to comments from isolated bigots trolling social media.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

That law is for public comments. It was a comment sent directly to the player?

Plus, was the person making the comment in Victoria?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
That's genuinely hard to read. Social media is cooked. Can they locate the guy?

Should have to verify your ID before signing up.
Charging a fee too would improve content imo. Like streaming services. Eg $10 a month for Facebook/Insgaram combo.

Just shut Twitter down all together.
Paying $10 month for social media sites like Facebook or Instagram? Some of that is addictive like YouTube and video games and cocaine lol

There are so many sites you gotta pay $10-$20 a month to watch their content such as WWE network or Disney plus or Netflix or Stan etc

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
That law is for public comments. It was a comment sent directly to the player?

Plus, was the person making the comment in Victoria?
No, it's not for public comments. You're thinking of the 1975 Racial Discrimination Act. The 2001 Act very specifically references email and social media. Never mind that the idea that if you racially vilify or abuse someone to their face, but in private, then, well, that's okay, because no one else heard it/read it is ludicrous. Abusing or harassing someone on the basis of race is illegal.

And yes, the person making the comment is in Victoria. All the states have similar laws. I dug out the one relevant to Victoria as I figured an apologist's approach would be to suggest that the law of that state doesn't apply to this case for whatever reason.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
I'm a brown man telling you ,a white man (I assume), that white ppl are NOT supreme and that makes me the white supremacist?
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

You can almost hear this GIF.

HMMM AH HMMMM AH HMMM AH MMM Ah HMMM Ah HMMM AH MMM

Freoboy in Melbs

Team Captain
Apr 7, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
FFS, what is wrong with people? Ya know, a lot of people often regret their angry, hurtful and obscene outbursts. I wonder what kind of person this guy really is? Has he just made the mistake of his life and perhaps is at a life-turning moment for him (and perhaps some well-earnt jail time)? Or is he buried in glee at all the commotion he's caused? I would bet its the former.

Also, I wonder if the AFL and the media have a role given how much they welcome back and celebrate their 'champions' who have been a disgrace as a human being off the field? Is it time to stop giving women-beaters, racists, biggots and misogynists a gig? What say you AFL & media people? You know you have them in your ranks. Isn't it high time to change tack?

Freoboy in Melbs

Team Captain
Apr 7, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I believe racism is a happenstance of human nature and then social conditioning can distort it and amplify it, IMO. Whitey appear to be the champs of it to me, and I'm a whitey btw. However, all races and all people are inherently guilty to some degree. It's unavoidably woven into the DNA in all of us, IMO.

But we are meant to be evolved aren't we? Capable of knowing the difference between personal human prejudices and unbridled abuse that is intended to harm? There's a big difference, and the two shouldn't be viewed as the same, IMO.

Let's just drop the 'black racists vs white racists' thing shall we? It sort of reminds me of the unfortunate 'men get beaten up by women too' argument, and only serves to blow up, or distract from, meaningful discussion to tackle it.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
When you use language like "when whites" that falls into the category of all Asians look the same.

Given caucasians have hundreds of different cultures that are vastly different to each other lumping them all into one group seems strange.

I mean what have the Lithuanians ever done?
No, it really does not. It is pretty thick to try and avoid the obvious linkages between white colonialism, whether British, French, American, Belgian, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian or German, and racial oppression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back