Walters for Captain 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad Brain

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
For years now, all the training reports note what a leader Walters is on the track. He’s always setting the example on how to train, (always the first back over the breaks) and is the most vocal. On the flip side, Fyfe openly admits he needs to work on the leadership stuff a bit more. So why not make Walters captain and just let Fyfe focus on being the best footballer in the league?

Who’s with me!

I actually agree with this. If you had everything equal, amongst our squad Walters and Pearce stand out currently as the two most natural leaders, Fyfe as he has stated lots of times is not a natural leader and his style is more to "lead by example" i.e. be a good player with good habits who other players can rub off on and aspire to. Buddy, Dangerfield and Martin are all champion players but none of them are captains because they have players in their team that are better at that sort of stuff. The thing Fyfe has going for him is he;s a total professional, represents the club extremely well and is also very well spoken and is clearly our best player.

But at the end of the day what I always get back to is the captaincy role in AFL football is just not all that important compared to say Cricket, I mean Sydney has this piss take of having about 15 co-captains, so it doesn't really matter who the captain is and would inevitably put the media rumour mill of Fyfe being disliked into overdrive.

It is a player elected position right?

Not sure I see a need to debate it unless that’s changed.
nek minut

Hakkers and Hardley on Sat. "Yep, inside sources have let us know that Walters missed out on the captaincy because Freo players are racist and it's all Ross' fault. Fyfe likes wearing a white hoodie - says it all. Peter Bell was seen at Christmas lighting up matches. All the signs are there. Ross' legacy. Culture issues still. The indigenous players hate it down there and are about to quit en masse"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a player elected position right?

Not sure I see a need to debate it unless that’s changed.

I always had the suspicion that it’s kinda like how Head Boy / Girl’s are voted by students, in that there is a vote but the teachers have as much of a say.

Controversial theory, but what if the sudden spate of best 22 players asking to leave (and one departing player specifically saying everyone hates Fyfe) isn’t just a rumour or coincidence and is an actual problem.

*Mod edit* You're talking about Shane Yarran

We can respect a request to not broadcast images of deceased indigenous people without prior warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Controversial theory, but I've always thought if an argument relies more that a couple "what ifs" it's not worth arguing.
What if Walters is a better captain.
What if the club forces the players to vote a certain way.
What if players are leaving because of all Australia captain Fyfe.
But I will play the game.
What if players are leaving for more money.
What if players have voted for Fyfe because he is the best choice.
What if Walters doesn't like limelight.
What if Hackdorn doesn't make s**t up about Fyfe.

Fyfe didn’t even know his teammates names when he was captain. #FACT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back