Review Walters gets a point to beat Brisbane, we all collectively get wood - Rd 10, 2019

electricfeel

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
No problems with booing Neale. He decided to leave the club for better coin. His work is done and dusted at Freo.

I didn't boo him, I don't really boo. I respect what he's done for the club. The booing wasn't too loud anyway. Enjoyed Fyfe on Neale and the few times he got caught HTB

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
A couple of random things.

I was listening to the Purple Reign podcast during the week and they talked about how the simple way to beat the Dockers every time is to just have a loose man since we always bomb it in. That almost proved right yet again with an opposition defender (Harris Andrews) nearly BOG in a losing cause. We've got to identify this earlier in games, change some matchups around or whatever to stop opposition KPDs having such a big impact. If Hogan had even tagged Andrews he probably would have been more effective and gotten a few kicks.

The forward line and connection to it is still a bit of a disaster zone but at least we look more dangerous with the amount of run we got from half back yesterday, that's the key to giving us opportunities to win - overlap run, not just bombing it.

Neale in the 3rd quarter had 18 disposals and -3m gained. I still like Lachie and always thought he was a gun for us but seriously he moves to Brissy and plays exactly the same way as he always has, racking them up without being penetrating and now he's an AA lock and Brownlow favourite. Go figure.

I was listening to the Purple Reign podcast during the week and they talked about how the simple way to beat the Dockers every time is to just have a loose man since we always bomb it in. That almost proved right yet again with an opposition defender (Harris Andrews) nearly BOG in a losing cause. We've got to identify this earlier in games, change some matchups around or whatever to stop opposition KPDs having such a big impact. If Hogan had even tagged Andrews he probably would have been more effective and gotten a few kicks.
This is true to a point, it's effective against us when we try and kick it towards the goal square after running the ball down the flanks - which we do a lot.

It's a total liability against us when we cut back through the middle.

Both examples of this involve Walters. Him running up the northern wing, trying to kick across his body inboard inside fifty resulting in a direct turnover as Andrews sat in the dangerous space. Walters leading to the fat side as their defenders are pressed against the skinny side boundary, we cross, deliver to him and the rest is history.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
. He’s a great player, good bloke too. But the way he just jumped ship. Because, why? Money? We would’ve offered that.
We didn't. Freo would only pay 80% ish of what the Brions offered.

Almost everyone posting on this board would move jobs for a 20%+ payrise. Especially if your career only lasts 10 years.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Btw I give Langdon plenty of crap for his kicking, which was terrible up until the 2nd last kick of the game when he hit Walters on the tit. Handy time to come good :thumbsu:

How obvious was it though that he'd miss that set shot when Switta passed off to him.
Yeah, that was dumb of Langdon to call for that ball. I can understand Switta passing it as he's new to the team and trying to do the right thing, but Langdon should know better. If a forward is within range and directly in front, tell him to take the shot, don't distract him by calling for it.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty amazing to scratch out a win with how poor our forward line is functioning - Taberner out injured, Hogan woefully out of form, Cox underdone and our only two in form players in Walters and Lobb rotate in and out from other positions.

I am incredibly happy for an emotional win, but I get a little worried that when we do we don't make the necessary changes in our structure and game plan. The game was more won by individuals than a cohesive team unit - we're still making silly mistakes and skill errors, a lot of bombing it long and balking in front of goal.

We don't change the team much when we win either, but in my view we need to look at bringing back Nyhuis and McCarthy also.

Wilson was the standout and probably the difference, two weeks ago he'd be bombing it indecisively from the goal square, yesterday he was breaking lines and launching it to a target, every time he did that we scored. So good to see him find form.

Bewley looks he could be a player, pinpoint passes in this outfit should lock you in for 10 years.

Yeah, that was dumb of Langdon to call for that ball. I can understand Switta passing it as he's new to the team and trying to do the right thing, but Langdon should know better. If a forward is within range and directly in front, tell him to take the shot, don't distract him by calling for it.
If Langdon had pulled out of that marking attempt Walters would have got it. But who knows how that turns out. A goal might have meant the Lions get it out of the middle with an interesting umpiring call and kick a few in a row.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought this game was representative of where we are as a team, beating a team I rank fairly similar to Freo. Still comfortable that we will finish 8-12 this year. Lack of skills could have burned us yet again.

Loved Bewley, particularly his laser precision kick in the last quarter. Cox, played better than I thought he was capable of. Hoping Brayshaw spends all his free time working on kicking accuracy.

Ruck, we need one. When Cox went into the ruck, it was in the Brisbane forward 50 straight away.

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wilson can be prone to blazing away when under pressure but I thought he was pretty close to bog for us, his and brad Hills run was awesome. Both made errors,
True but there is a flipside with the extra points it got us too - seems to me like more goals get scored these days from juuuuust managing to get through the zone with handballs and if you can string together 4-5 50/50 handballs going forward then you're out.

We definitely managed to get through the zone from half back alot better today - not sure if that's from

Think we miss out on a couple of cheap goals every game by not having a forward with serious serious pace (e.g. cameron, rozee, petrucelle, stephenson) playing out the back
maybe thats where Sturt comes in.
Have you ever seen so many holding the ball calls in a game before?
No! I thought for a bit we got screwed over by that, but they got a couple of bad calls too, overall I thought the umpiring was reletively equal, although generally bad.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great game. Seesawing. Not the brightest of starts.

Absolutely filthy we have a lock down small defender, who’s fit and been playing okay, on the sidelines yet no one on Cameron in the first quarter who kicks 3.1. Honestly.

We tried all game, kept pushing forward and won our 1on1 battles. Ryan was immense, Hill was sensational. Cerra got involved early. Lots to like.

Hogan. He’s clearly underdone. He’s clearly either sore or just off by 10%. Now Tabs is out, he’s under heaps of pressure. We need Jones to come in, Lobb has to go forward. And maybe McCarthy comes in to chop out.
Agree exciting game and we kept attacking which I loved. Great to win these close ones. Hogan is off by more than 10% and his foot need to be tested immediately. His play and stats were worse than bad and have to investigate.

I though we were very quick to put Tabs on the LTI list for something that should have been 8 or so weeks, but haven't given Hogan a MRI to check his poor play and kicking over the last three weeks.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Last week, I thought the composure was lacking. They rushed kicks and disposals and generally looked like they didn't know what to do with the ball. There was some of that again, but I liked how several players (Hill, Wilson especially) took the game on, made someone miss, and broke free from the packs to create more space. They still got sucked into the contest a bit too often and were beat by a clearing handball, but overall better than last week.

Still need to lower our eyes and kick to space more often on i50 delivery, but again, we were better than last week. Less bombing it into the goal square. Even the commentators said Lyon told the players to bomb it less and kick more to space. Hopefully, we continue to see improvement on this front. But, really glad to see a more attacking game style. We could have lost it in the last quarter but the players stood up when they needed to. Please Ross, more of this!

Glad to get the win.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Last week, I thought the composure was lacking. They rushed kicks and disposals and generally looked like they didn't know what to do with the ball. There was some of that again, but I liked how several players (Hill, Wilson especially) took the game on, made someone miss, and broke free from the packs to create more space. They still got sucked into the contest a bit too often and were beat by a clearing handball, but overall better than last week.

Still need to lower our eyes and kick to space more often on i50 delivery, but again, we were better than last week. Less bombing it into the goal square. Even the commentators said Lyon told the players to bomb it less and kick more to space. Hopefully, we continue to see improvement on this front. But, really glad to see a more attacking game style. We could have lost it in the last quarter but the players stood up when they needed to. Please Ross, more of this!

Glad to get the win.
Agree with this.

Interesting to hear Brereton commentating on the lack of leading at the ball carrier. One of our major issues of our forward line.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like the cut of Bewley's jibe too. Looks like one of those guys that just goes quietly about it and never puts a foot wrong with the ball in hand.
And man do we need one or 2 of those. I think he might have a future.
And watching the players warm up from close by Cerra is actually becoming a big unit. His legs are huge, he was matched with Fyfe doing the bumping each other thing and he's not much smaller than Nat! He's becoming very handy.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
And watching the players warm up from close by Cerra is actually becoming a big unit. His legs are huge, he was matched with Fyfe doing the bumping each other thing and he's not much smaller than Nat! He's becoming very handy.

I thought the same thing when they showed him up close after one of his goals. One of the lion's players came up and gave him a shoulder bump and he just smiled. Doesn't look like that scrawny rookie from last year. I really liked how well he did up in the forward line. Smart players can play all over the ground and I think must have a good footy brain. Yes, he's has been inconsistent this year, as is expected with young players. He'll take his lumps again this year but if he continues to track along, by year 3-4 he'll be a hell of a player.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
I was amazed at the amount of blatant pushing in the back during marking contests that was not payed yesterday. Brissy seem to have this down to a fine art.

Back