Review Walters gets a point to beat Brisbane, we all collectively get wood - Rd 10, 2019

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting that was one of our better performances for marks inside 50 (only bettered by the GWS game I think), yet we fielded a smaller forward line. For a while there our forward line was Cox, Cerra, Andy, Brandon, Switta and Bewley I think.

Anyone have any theories how this came about?

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
How is it in the worst , they rate lobs great game as 4.5 and Hodges as 6
4EF26832-705C-45F5-96E6-147A75C7C8EB.jpeg
Lobby dominated and hodge was barely sighted!

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting that was one of our better performances for marks inside 50 (only bettered by the GWS game I think), yet we fielded a smaller forward line. For a while there our forward line was Cox, Cerra, Andy, Brandon, Switta and Bewley I think.

Less bombing to tabs

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Just have a feeling with Tabs out that Cox can now really find his feet. A true congested marking player with
a good groundball, skills, all round game.
The fact he can ruck, go back, and has mobility should ensure we can rotate Lobb forward.
Hogan will always get the best defender, leaving others open.
Having a better balance going small ensures the ball is more locked in and mindset to kick
lower ball.
As WC have done with Dee's, Pies, must use Lobb, Cox to tag their ruckman.
Doesn't hurt that instead of rotating players of half back they were half forward.
Bewley's perfect pass, total risk all reward, that is footy at its best, thought Cerra
also showed some class and Swita game was better.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Congratulations on the win. If Hill doesn’t get the three Brownlow votes there is something wrong. He was the biggest difference today.

Sone good talent shaping up for you guys. All the best for the rest of the season.
Harris Andrews :thumbsu:

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Does anyone else find it infuriating everytime Neale’s new mate Zorko points at the mark and demands 50metres every single freakin time he marks the pill.

I get the same fire in the belly similar to when I hear Crumpets speak or watch Smug Basil big nose on TV.
Zane Dorko :moustache:

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Switta was great, got involved and got more possessions due to the players lowering their eyes. He’s handy with ball in hand. You know you’re doing bad if your smalls can’t get their hands on the ball, like the previous 3 weeks. Switta should’ve gone back and kick that though. In the last quarter, instead passed it off to Langdon.
Like the fact that backing ourselves to just have a shot from 40-50 out, instead of the cheap 20 m kicks that hardly pull off. Fyfe kicked for goal and Cox got on the end of one

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Agree with this.

Interesting to hear Brereton commentating on the lack of leading at the ball carrier. One of our major issues of our forward line.

I'll go back to Under 11's footy, with forwardline work.

When the ball is coming in down the wing, one forward sprints down the guts, the other angles off towards the flank. Thus you have 2 speedy leads.

All the players seem to stand around, until the player with the ball, kicks it to a spot, which the forward is expected to run into.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Like the cut of Bewley's jibe too. Looks like one of those guys that just goes quietly about it and never puts a foot wrong with the ball in hand.
And man do we need one or 2 of those. I think he might have a future.
And watching the players warm up from close by Cerra is actually becoming a big unit. His legs are huge, he was matched with Fyfe doing the bumping each other thing and he's not much smaller than Nat! He's becoming very handy.

Yep, like Bewley.

Thought Cerra & Brayshaw are plugging along, picking up new tricks each week. Need to get that game experience into them.

Greyhairs

Senior List
May 6, 2019
Rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins.
Well done to the team for fighting out a gritty game.
Now you all can see that when you pass instead of lobbing the ball it works wonders.
Hill was the magic man with a few helpers.
Bewley showed great kicking and looks like a future regular.
All in all they played as a great team.
I have been doubtful in the past re Lyon’s relationship with the team but fair play to him on yesterday’s showing and I stand corrected.
Enjoyed my beer after.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
I was amazed at the amount of blatant pushing in the back during marking contests that was not payed yesterday. Brissy seem to have this down to a fine art.

Pushing in the back (riding player into the ground) and "throwing" hand passes, are being given carte blanche.

Look after the player going for the ball. eg. making the play. Don't reward the seagulls.

Greyhairs

Senior List
May 6, 2019
Rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins.
Meant to also mention the Switta man who I thought had a real good game and Wilson was good as well if he played like that every week we would win a few more.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
How is it in the worst , they rate lobs great game as 4.5 and Hodges as 6View attachment 681556 Lobby dominated and hodge was barely sighted!

Masai scrathes his dandruff, ……………… Lobb took many timely pack marks. Hodge was hardly noticed by me at the game.

Maybe the journo's view was obscured by the bar.

Anyway the question must be asked, "WHY ARE YOU READING THIS TOILET TISSUE ?".

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
How is it in the worst , they rate lobs great game as 4.5 and Hodges as 6View attachment 681556 Lobby dominated and hodge was barely sighted!
Yeah I was bemused by this. Lobb was good all day and excellent in the last. How that adds up to 4.5 is beyond me especially given how little influence the Brissy rucks had?? I would have rated his game at least 7.5 or better...

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
After the Richmond gave where we missed conversion opportunities they moved Cerra forward, maybe hoping his skills might give us a bit of extra class around goals, and he has a little bit of strength to hold a mark above his head, but he ended up getting his two goals from free-kicks and I think he might have missed one or two gettable ones as well.

That vision and analysis of the play leading up to the final kick is interesting with Pearce motioning to Ryan to go forward, and Langdon sort of moves closer to cover Cameron and then ends up receiving the handball from Ryan as Cameron slips over, and its Langdon that passes it to Walters' lead.

Could go either way out of that contest if a Brisbane player like Hodge or Rich ends up with the ball and kicks it long and wide wing-side to Cameron's advantage, but we won the contest because Brayshaw's tackle dispossesses the Brisbane player and the spills come to Mundy and he directs it towards Ryan.

These little moments start at the first bounce and finish at the last, and you can maybe lose 10 of them in a game just like that, and end up being smashed on the scoreboard.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2019-05-27/watch-the-moment-that-won-it-access-all-areas

You've got two hours and your eyeballs floating from your work bar card, what springs to mind?
Prior to Walters kicking that last behind he had hit up Harris Andrews four times - scribble about that, scratch that off and now his story is the match winner.
Lobb's most memorable moment? Kicking directly to the former rising star winner at the top of the square. All those marks off the back of our forward pressure forcing the long kick is too deep for noticing in the last quarter after you've come back to your perch dual wielding mid strengths from your trip to the gents.

Cut them some slack. They had to work Sunday.

ha

Back