Review Walters gets a point to beat Brisbane, we all collectively get wood - Rd 10, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Moving this into the correct thread.

Congratulations on the hard fought win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. This is an overall summary of how often your players started as one of the 5 mids (inside + wings) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 23 Bounces

Fyfe 21
Walters 19
B.Hill 18 (17w, 1i)
Langdon 17 wing
Mundy 16
Conca 12 (1w)
Bewley 5 wing
Tucker 5 wing
Blakely 1
Brayshaw 1 wing

Rucks:
Lobb 22 (Martin 15)
Cox 1 (McInerney 8)

1st Half - 11

Fyfe 10
Walters 10
B.Hill 8 (7w, 1i)
Langdon 8 wing
Conca 7 (1w)
Mundy 6
Bewley 3 wing
Tucker 3 wing

Lobb 11

2nd Half - 12

Fyfe 11
B.Hill 10 wing
Mundy 10
Walters 9
Langdon 9 wing
Conca 5
Bewley 2 wing
Tucker 2 wing
Blakely 1
Brayshaw 1 wing

Lobb 11
Cox 1

Notes:
- Only the 2nd inside start I've recorded for Brad Hill (at either side) in analysed games. The only other one was Rd 18, 2018
- Blakely and Brayshaw's only appearances were at the final bounce of the match.
- Bewley was on the wing for the opening bounce. All of his starts were in Q1 & 3
- Conca's first wing start for Freo in analysed games.

This is great info. I'm still a bit confused about the Blakely situation. 1 centre bounce? Is he still not at full fitness? Are we just being conservative with him? His best position is playing in the guts.

This is great info. I'm still a bit confused about the Blakely situation. 1 centre bounce? Is he still not at full fitness? Are we just being conservative with him? His best position is playing in the guts.
He moved to the middle in the 4th like we had been doing with Cerra and Brayshaw in the games prior, but that quarter had a bounce at the start and then one more after Michael Walters kicked that goal nearly 18 minutes in.

We didn't. Freo would only pay 80% ish of what the Brions offered.

Almost everyone posting on this board would move jobs for a 20%+ payrise. Especially if your career only lasts 10 years.
Yes Indeed.

By the way, the 10 years thing... if I had a 10 year job that gave me plenty of time and support to build a life post that career, along with a substantial national profile to go with it, I'd feel ok.

As well as that, there are quite a few avenues withing the same business, but in different departments including coaching, management and media. Plenty of opportunities available for high end footballers, especially those who are loyal to their fan base. Neale is known for wanting to pursue coaching post playing days, Pav has an engineering degree from memory but has chosen media, deBoer and Bell legal studies. Not going to feel sorry for a players financial situation either way, whether they stays or go. They can set themselves up.

He moved to the middle in the 4th like we had been doing with Cerra and Brayshaw in the games prior, but that quarter had a bounce at the start and then one more after Michael Walters kicked that goal nearly 18 minutes in.

So which centre bounce was it that Blakely was in at? I'm not sure he was in the midfield for the whole last quarter, its just that the ball rarely went past centre (Brisbane's way)

Yes Indeed.

By the way, the 10 years thing... if I had a 10 year job that gave me plenty of time and support to build a life post that career, along with a substantial national profile to go with it, I'd feel ok.

As well as that, there are quite a few avenues withing the same business, but in different departments including coaching, management and media. Plenty of opportunities available for high end footballers, especially those who are loyal to their fan base. Neale is known for wanting to pursue coaching post playing days, Pav has an engineering degree from memory but has chosen media, deBoer and Bell legal studies. Not going to feel sorry for a players financial situation either way, whether they stays or go. They can set themselves up.

I agree I don't buy the argument when you compare financial decision making to the average joe with a top end AFL player, it's just not equivocal. I make $120k salary with a very temporary job I won't have for more than 10 years but that is more than enough to live comfortably, set up future career prospects and offering me $150k would have very small bearing on any career decision making because I would have an incredibly privileged lifestyle either way.

I thought we were the better team all day, but still think our skills for the most part are not up to standard. Watching the game live and it is evident to me that neither Freo or Brisbane are worthy finals teams.

Hill, Wilson and Sonny played out of their socks with Wilson's kicking out of HB absolutely sublime.

Hogan had a dirty day but he still tried incredibly hard. As others have mentioned he was burned quite a bit on the lead which is still an indictment on our coaching. To Hogan's credit he knew it wasn't his day but he kept trying.

I watched Hughes play really hard on Charlie with Freo really not giving him any room to operate.

The Woodside and Rosich live signing of an agreement was weird.

Why is it an indictment on our coaching that the players on the field missed him on the lead? Surely it is on the players for not making a good decision at that moment. Basic team rules may be to take the long option most of the time but no coach - not even Ross - is going to tell his players to ignore a key forward on a lead if they are inside 50 unless maybe they are right up against the boundary.

So which centre bounce was it that Blakely was in at? I'm not sure he was in the midfield for the whole last quarter, its just that the ball rarely went past centre (Brisbane's way)
He moved to the midfield for the last 7 or so mins (7 on clock, not time on) and dominated, was in the centre bounce directly after sonnys goal too which solidified his move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back