Autopsy Walters kicks a bag & beats Port - Rd 13

Remove this Banner Ad

I was often watching and looking for Cox’s second efforts and they are just terrible. Slow reaction and doesn’t have repeat power. I expect it’ll improve but like someone else said, he’s lucky Tabs / Lobb is out and McCarthy can’t force his way in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think Cox is copping it a bit rough on here. Thought he was good, didn't lose many contests if any, and he often directed the ball down to a teammate or an advantageous position. He's rather clever and evasive for someone his size too. I think people often confuse him taking time to make decisions with laziness.

This. I'm gobsmacked if anyone thinks he didnt have a good game today. May not have taken many marks, but he was targeted a ton and if he knew he was outnumbered he was not only bringing the ball to ground but actively looking to get to the advantage of our crumbers. The smart things he does in contests you can't teach

This. I'm gobsmacked if anyone thinks he didnt have a good game today. May not have taken many marks, but he was targeted a ton and if he knew he was outnumbered he was not only bringing the ball to ground but actively looking to get to the advantage of our crumbers. The smart things he does in contests you can't teach
Agree. The goal he created by drawing the player and then evading enough to release over the top was unbelievable for a big guy. I honestly think he’ll end up our best key forward, including hogan.

Any danger of big Darcy getting looked at for his sling tackle today? I don’t want to pre-empt anything, but the MRO seems obsessed with penalising players for these ones at the moment.

Any danger of big Darcy getting looked at for his sling tackle today? I don’t want to pre-empt anything, but the MRO seems obsessed with penalising players for these ones at the moment.

From memory he didn't slam him into the ground did he? More dropped him without leaving his feet.

Didn't look like the usual one they suspend guys for.

I hope Cox never gets dropped for McCarthy.
Not because I don't want McCarthy in the team but because they are completely different players whose only similarity is that they are both taller than 190cm.

With Tabs & Lobb out for the rest of the year, I don't see Cox getting omitted at any point unless he has a really bad, prolonged drop in form. His contested marking ability is crucial to our ball movement, both down the line and forward now - something that McCarthy can't do. He's also providing that chop-out in the ruck for Darcy.

So what’s this arrow business ?
I am in Bangkok and streamed ABC radio and commentators mentioned this “ arrow “ thing a number of times.

I can’t wait to watch this game.

The “arrow” is something one of Ports first yr players Xavier Duursma does every time he kicks a goal (lame af). Anyway Walters did the arrow after one of his goals today presumably taking the piss.

Happy rewatching!

Think Cox is copping it a bit rough on here. Thought he was good, didn't lose many contests if any, and he often directed the ball down to a teammate or an advantageous position. He's rather clever and evasive for someone his size too. I think people often confuse him taking time to make decisions with laziness.
Spot on.
Yes he started a bit slow(as per usual) but as the game went on he really got more involved and most importantly didn’t lose many contests and managed bring the ball to ground, even when out of position but most impressively like you say actual tried directing it(and successfully too on a number of occasions )to teammates.

Showed his talent with that goal and and evasive skills allowing him to get a handball off to teammates on quite a few occasions in a better position when it looked like port would wrap him up and force a stoppage is just good footy smarts

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got back from the game after getting to be in a corporate box for the first time. Man it was good.

My thoughts without reading what others thought watching on TV

1) Logue was massive even with the two OOTF. Cant wait to have all three of him, Pearce and Hamling in the team.
2) Ryan has to be AA
3) Son Son is a God
4) If Cox had half a metre extra pace he'd be the next Carey as far as I'm concerned. Always makes good decisions when he has the ball, getting enough of it is the worry at the moment.
5) Hill clearly came back too early but they just bit the bullet knowing they are likely going to have to carry for a month or so as he gets up to speed
6) Tucker had his worst game for the year.
7) Felt like a good game to watch despite a few skill errors. Crowd really got into it and for the most part, was well played.
8) I'll fight anyone who wants AB dropped at any stage the rest of the year

Kane Corn is saying we’re an arrogant side 😢

Don't confuse swagger with arrogance. I love it. We played with passion and didn't let them roll over us. There was a lot of emotion out there and we held our own. Ryan, Hamling, and co owned Port in the last quarter and the squad played with passion. I love to see players coming in and knocking some bodies around when one of their own goes down. They are playing like a team with confidence.

Just watched the game and I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far. It was such a great brand of footy to watch, with the exception of the turnovers in the first half (and a few in the second). We're still coming together and Shill/Logue/Darcy are only going to get better. I can't even imagine what we would be like if Bennell stays healthy (knock on wood).

Our next couple games before the derby are winnable. Would make an exciting match week 16!

I will echo the sentiment that Cox is a smart, natural footballer & good things happen when he’s involved. Some of his work with the ball on the ground was excellent and his handballs to advantage are top notch.
The fact he’s capable of a finish like the goal he kicked bodes very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very very happy!

A couple of future considerations:

1. I would not be surprised to see Darcy drop off next week. He worked hard today but was shattered by the end. I hope the S&C team work hard on his recovery. Similar to where start of the year, Darcy dropped off in the second game against GC.

2. It would be worthwhile giving Hogan a spell in 6 or so weeks. With the hard surface and he naturally running gait, there is significant pressure in his joints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back