Review Walyalup Defeat Narrm!

Remove this Banner Ad

On O’Meara it was barely even a free kick.
there was no slinging motion.

thought it was holding the ball myself

This is the perfect example of what has now become a major problem ... the tackled player slinging themselves to the ground to get a free kick.

Before this rule was introduced, how many times can you think of a player legitimately being slam tackled in a dangerous fashion? Be lucky to see it several times a year. I don't believe the tackling has changed all that much. It's mostly players absolving themselves of responsibility to protect themselves, or throwing themselves to the ground, just like they do with push in the backs. But it is much harder to judge the flopping on these dangerous tackles.

Don't know what to do about it though. I'd personally just abolish the rule completely, and then if there are any egregious ones then punish at MRP stage.

One of the most interesting things to me was that after Darcy went off we played the last 2.5 quarters with a forward line of:

Shultz - 78 games
Banfield - 71 games
Switta - 56 games
Frederick - 48 games
Treacy - 24 games
Amiss - 13 games
Sturt - 8 games

That is an incredibly inexperienced forward line. Only 298 games combined!

Which is 50 games less than May (202 games) and Lever (146 games) combined.

There's plenty to improve on but the fact that we not only kicked a winning score but also prevented their rebounders from running amok is extremely encouraging.

One of the most interesting things to me was that after Darcy went off we played the last 2.5 quarters with a forward line of:

Shultz - 78 games
Banfield - 71 games
Switta - 56 games
Frederick - 48 games
Treacy - 24 games
Amiss - 13 games
Sturt - 8 games

There's plenty to improve on but the fact that we not only kicked a winning score but also prevented their rebounders from running amok is extremely encouraging.
Indeed. Probably also instructive:

Tackles:

Shultz - 7
Amiss - 3
Switta - 3
Treacy - 2
Banfield - 2
Sturt - 1
Frederick - 0

Nearly 20 tackles from our forwards in a low scoring, dour game on the G, which has one of the lower average tackles of grounds for forwards (due to the deep wide pockets). Great signs.

Also, having been there when we lost a game against the Dees when we had a tiny little lead at half time, very, very happy to beat them there two years in a row now!!

For those that haven't seen it, here are the closing stages of our second worst ever loss, after the one goal game...

posting like this is just asking to be bricked

Shultz - 78 games
Banfield - 71 games
Switta - 56 games
Frederick - 48 games
Treacy - 24 games
Amiss - 13 games
Sturt - 8 games

Indeed. Probably also instructive:

Tackles:

Shultz - 7
Amiss - 3
Switta - 3
Treacy - 2
Banfield - 2
Sturt - 1
Frederick - 0

Nearly 20 tackles from our forwards in a low scoring, dour game on the G, which has one of the lower average tackles of grounds for forwards (due to the deep wide pockets). Great signs.
Dare I say it… this is coaching.

Kudos JL. I’m sorry I ever doubted you. The PTSD was real.

This is the perfect example of what has now become a major problem ... the tackled player slinging themselves to the ground to get a free kick.

Before this rule was introduced, how many times can you think of a player legitimately being slam tackled in a dangerous fashion? Be lucky to see it several times a year. I don't believe the tackling has changed all that much. It's mostly players absolving themselves of responsibility to protect themselves, or throwing themselves to the ground, just like they do with push in the backs. But it is much harder to judge the flopping on these dangerous tackles.

Don't know what to do about it though. I'd personally just abolish the rule completely, and then if there are any egregious ones then punish at MRP stage.
With what we know now about concussion and CTE it doesn't matter whether tackles have changed or not. It is a fine line that is tricky to tread, but the game needs to evolve to reduce the risks of brain trauma wherever possible.

They could just bring the rule where both parties need to maximise the attempts to keep their feet in the tackle.

There are several signs that (with practice) should be easy to sum up that payers aren't trying to keep their feet to the best of their ability. Mostly around what they do with their feet and knees.

As much as it pains me to say, the tackle isn't what we watch the game for. Watch the 1989 GF (one of the highest-scoring and rated GFs of all time) and see how they adjudicated HTB there. Spoiler: it was a tad lenient.

I had to watch the game in halves and I'll be honest, I forgot Fyfe was playing watching the second half.

I hope its not the end for him because a 90% Fyfe would take us next level.

he started each quarter with a centre square clearance, but other than that he was a non event…looks slow, and can’t get away from tacklers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredible game, felt like watching a final. Both sides went all out in the contest, and we came out on top. Great experience for the team and should serve them well to handle the pressure of finals.

Watching the last quarter again, can’t help but notice that campaigner Matthew Nicholls, who we know loves the big stage (13 GF) umpiring his 400th game deciding to make it all about himself again with 2 minutes to go in the game, plucking a 50m penalty from absolutely nothing (Jackson literally stood where Grundy took the mark) and almost costing us a well deserved win. Dickhead.

Watching the last quarter again, can’t help but notice that campaigner Matthew Nicholls, who we know loves the big stage (13 GF) umpiring his 400th game deciding to make it all about himself again with 2 minutes to go in the game, plucking a 50m penalty from absolutely nothing (Jackson literally stood where Grundy took the mark) and almost costing us a well deserved win. Dickhead.

he paid it against the other guy because he’d told him to stand…

******* horse s**t

The player that wasnt manning the mark?

if you watch, the other guy is on the mark. Jackson next to him. Jackson waves him off to run downfield, because it’s his man who has the ball.
baldy then pays the 50 because he’d told that player to stand, and he ran off.

if it’s the rule it’s s**t. Either way, Jackson was 50cm from the mark and would’ve had to run exactly where the other guy did…

so the bald headed dick head should've used his brain and let it go

Last edited:
Yeah nah. Keep dreaming. Fyfe will get better with each game.
Maybe next year with a proper preseason, he looks better as the sub.
He has missed heaps of footy, but is still an impact player.
Honestly if we want to win GF’s we need to get games into Erasmus.
Johnson and Erasmus with Brayshaw and Serong, Jackson, Darcy, nobody is going to out muscle that.
Then Fyfe is the cherry on top.

You guys are being tough on Fyfe, that game was a step up in intensity from the previous 3, finals like, he's still adjusting to that tempo. Never write off a champ.

Fyfe had so many almost moments, bit like Jackson earlier in the year, he looks like he could be very influential later in the season when he gets more game time under the belt. I will say though he should start giving the first option more often rather than taking on 3 or 4 blokes since he’s a bit slower at his age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back