Review Walyalup Defeat Narrm!

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys are being tough on Fyfe, that game was a step up in intensity from the previous 3, finals like, he's still adjusting to that tempo. Never write off a champ.

The pressure was intense. Huge step up from the last few weeks.

Still a head scratcher how we start seasons so badly. We need a stickier thread each year to remind us how poor we are over the first few rounds to avoid the sack Longmire threads.

With what we know now about concussion and CTE it doesn't matter whether tackles have changed or not. It is a fine line that is tricky to tread, but the game needs to evolve to reduce the risks of brain trauma wherever possible.

They could just bring the rule where both parties need to maximise the attempts to keep their feet in the tackle.

There are several signs that (with practice) should be easy to sum up that payers aren't trying to keep their feet to the best of their ability. Mostly around what they do with their feet and knees.

As much as it pains me to say, the tackle isn't what we watch the game for. Watch the 1989 GF (one of the highest-scoring and rated GFs of all time) and see how they adjudicated HTB there. Spoiler: it was a tad lenient.
How about taking away pinning the arms ?
Makes me cringe when I see the head totally unprotected heading towards the ground

and allow constant handballs from tackles? No thanks
Is it about protection or the game ?
Technically speaking being able to dispose of the ball keeps the game flowing which is what the AFL and supporters want .
In fact it’s what most of the rules are designed for .

How strong is Matt Johnson? He hangs onto the ball for what seems like an eternity but is able to wear a tackle and get a damaging disposal off. I can see 100 consecutive games coming up for MJ from here.
He really reminds me of the great David Mundy at around the same age, seems to have time and space, and good disposal which should only get better

With what we know now about concussion and CTE it doesn't matter whether tackles have changed or not. It is a fine line that is tricky to tread, but the game needs to evolve to reduce the risks of brain trauma wherever possible.

They could just bring the rule where both parties need to maximise the attempts to keep their feet in the tackle.

There are several signs that (with practice) should be easy to sum up that payers aren't trying to keep their feet to the best of their ability. Mostly around what they do with their feet and knees.

As much as it pains me to say, the tackle isn't what we watch the game for. Watch the 1989 GF (one of the highest-scoring and rated GFs of all time) and see how they adjudicated HTB there. Spoiler: it was a tad lenient.

They could also blow the whistle early. They seem to want to give the player every opportunity to dispose in order to stop a ball up happening. But what they should be doing is blowing the whistle and throwing it up super quick. Most of the time it is futile for the tackled player to get rid of it, but because the umpire waits and waits, the tackler just brings them to ground.

You bring up old games, and when I watch them, it is remarkable how quickly the whistle is blown. Whether a ball up or free kick. That 89 GF had 50 free kicks paid. The prelim had 65 free kicks. Our game yesterday had 28. Players in the past rarely even reached the ground in a tackle because it was either holding the ball or a ball up and called almost instantly.

How strong is Matt Johnson? He hangs onto the ball for what seems like an eternity but is able to wear a tackle and get a damaging disposal off. I can see 100 consecutive games coming up for MJ from here.
I need to dial down the hype metre and remove the purple glasses somehow because I'm starting feel we've got yet another top tier mid in the comp here based on some of the signs in the last 2 or 3 games..

Last edited:
Freddy hates contact, get in there boy if you want to stay in this team. Goes AWOL for too long.

Fyfie needs more time for match fitness and touch.

Would love to see just a touch of variation with the kick ins, work to a bit of space guys. Bomb it to the pack, bomb it to the pack time after time with our big man on the bench injured!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amiss continuously tackling Lever, and pinging him several times was uplifting. Those acts are just as good as goals. Even better it was Lever, who’s just an arrogant smug yelling thing.

Treacy continuously pressuring May and Lever gave them no continuity to take intercept marks was a key reason for the win. Actually the last 3-4 weeks he has been a key part of the functioning forward line.

Out of all the dumb s**t the umpires called what drove me absolutely mad was they decided to call two throws against us
Immediately on Fyfe. God they love blowing the whistle against him. Hardly a tap but unfortunately wasn’t disguised very well.

Liberatore does worst, not a thing.

I bet Huddo woke up with a sore back this morning from carrying BradJohnson and Healy in the commentary box.
Watched the game last night and far out the negativity was exhausting. Gerard does this annoying sigh before he starts talking that drives me insane.

Jye in particular laid some big strong tackles for a key forward that got me out of my seat in excitement and it was met with absolute crickets.

I bet Huddo woke up with a sore back this morning from carrying BradJohnson and Healy in the commentary box.
Watched the game last night and far out the negativity was exhausting. Gerard does this annoying sigh before he starts talking that drives me insane.

Jye in particular laid some big strong tackles for a key forward that got me out of my seat in excitement and it was met with absolute crickets.
Healy sucked the fun out of a great game, truly an atrocious call by him.

Healy sucked the fun out of a great game, truly an atrocious call by him.
Healy was good on On The Couch, but he is a shocking commentator. He is negative about everyone, not just us. Last years win against Melbourne was great to rewatch - it was Hudson and Dwayne Russell and maybe Dunstall, I think. They actually enhanced the experience. Yesterday was awful.

Wasn’t really that much better.
The Banfield commentary.. s***house call.
Nothing about him being a hero, matchwinner. Instead if he miss this is going to go down Dees’ forward line.
It wasn't even "A miss CAN get the ball back into the dees hands" it was "THE miss WILL get the ball back into the dees hand" he didn't even give him a chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back