Review Walyalup Defeat Narrm!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t really that much better.
The Banfield commentary.. s***house call.
Nothing about him being a hero, matchwinner. Instead if he miss this is going to go down Dees’ forward line.
It wasn't great, but at least with last night I can sort of zone out a bit. Underwood's voice is so grating I have to mute.

Also, Huddo is good and does most of the talking.

Yeah I admit I was one of them.

You all can cop me flank for putting money on Freo to lose each week.

But I am more than happy to lose $20-$50 each week for a dockers win

Yeah I’ll put my 🤚 up too and admit I said the season was a write off. Selection was what would send me over the edge but that was when Taberner would get selected over Amiss and Treacy each week. My faith in Banfield has been restored and trust me, as much flack as I receive on here for calling for his dropping, I’m copping as much if not more for it IRL.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Yeah I’ll put my 🤚 up to and admit I said the season was a write off. Selection was what would send me over the edge but that was when Taberner would get selected over Amiss and Treacy each week. My faith in Banfield has been restored and trust me, as much flack as I receive on here for calling for his dripping, I’m copping as much if not more for it IRL.

Jeez, I just wanted him omitted , never “dripped” . I’m frightened what that means in street slang!😜

I bet Huddo woke up with a sore back this morning from carrying BradJohnson and Healy in the commentary box.
Watched the game last night and far out the negativity was exhausting. Gerard does this annoying sigh before he starts talking that drives me insane.

Jye in particular laid some big strong tackles for a key forward that got me out of my seat in excitement and it was met with absolute crickets.
Don’t mind Brad Johnson, Healey no good. He gave Walker a tough time at the end there about Corralling instead of tackling Pickett. The guy was gassed after running the whole field as was Pickett. Also a tripped up Hughes (no comment made when Hughes literally had his lower leg tackled) was in the way.

Watched some of the game again.

A few things I noticed.

Amiss is a smart footballer. Always lowers his eyes, a nice kick to Banfield in first, nice tap to fyfe as well.

Odriscoll defensive work is elite.

Omeara has improved massively. It has obviously taken him and Jackson a few weeks to adjust to freo structures.

Cox playing a lot better, and more accountable. I think the first few weeks he was playing to unaccountable.

Brayshaw fit makes a massive difference. So good defensively and offensively.

Watched some of the game again.

A few things I noticed.

Amiss is a smart footballer. Always lowers his eyes, a nice kick to Banfield in first, nice tap to fyfe as well.

Odriscoll defensive work is elite.

Omeara has improved massively. It has obviously taken him and Jackson a few weeks to adjust to freo structures.

Cox playing a lot better, and more accountable. I think the first few weeks he was playing to unaccountable.

Brayshaw fit makes a massive difference. So good defensively and offensively.
Amiss is smart like Riewoldt and Hawkins. Just knows where to be and what to do with his body.

They could also blow the whistle early. They seem to want to give the player every opportunity to dispose in order to stop a ball up happening. But what they should be doing is blowing the whistle and throwing it up super quick. Most of the time it is futile for the tackled player to get rid of it, but because the umpire waits and waits, the tackler just brings them to ground.

You bring up old games, and when I watch them, it is remarkable how quickly the whistle is blown. Whether a ball up or free kick. That 89 GF had 50 free kicks paid. The prelim had 65 free kicks. Our game yesterday had 28. Players in the past rarely even reached the ground in a tackle because it was either holding the ball or a ball up and called almost instantly.
Are you sure about your last sentence there? Sounds way too general and convenient for it to be actually accurate. Nevertheless, I'm a bit dubious about more stoppages being good for an open game (which probably is the most exciting to watch).

If we're talking reducing CTE potential, players having adjusted risk/reward expectations when tackling might stop the risky intent of pinning arms and bringing the ball-possessor to ground as quickly and forcefully as possible.

I find the whole Buckley thing interesting, he's always had an interest in Freo even prior to JL. Seemed to be across our trajectory than most others.

Wonder what the reason is? Could he potentially look at moving over as an assistant, or something else with the club?

I bet Huddo woke up with a sore back this morning from carrying BradJohnson and Healy in the commentary box.
Watched the game last night and far out the negativity was exhausting. Gerard does this annoying sigh before he starts talking that drives me insane.

Jye in particular laid some big strong tackles for a key forward that got me out of my seat in excitement and it was met with absolute crickets.
100% agree. Never really took much notice of Brad Johnson’s commentary but found him to be overly critical of us, and I usually like Healy’s commentary, but he just came across as arrogant some how….

Huddo was brilliant, my favorite line from his call yesterday was after an Amiss goal where he quipped with out blinking “dead eye Jye”. Now that’s a real commentator working their craft 👍🏻

You guys are being tough on Fyfe, that game was a step up in intensity from the previous 3, finals like, he's still adjusting to that tempo. Never write off a champ.
💯

Why are people so wanting to write him off?
Melbournes pressure factor was about as good as it gets.
Plus do people not get being basically unable to run properly for 7/8 weeks would affect a players match conditioning ?
Not to mention all the top level footy he’s missed,you can see he’s clearly just lacking touch

I find the whole Buckley thing interesting, he's always had an interest in Freo even prior to JL. Seemed to be across our trajectory than most others.

Wonder what the reason is? Could he potentially look at moving over as an assistant, or something else with the club?

That’s exactly to first thought that came to my mind. ABC we’re under the impression he wanted to get a feel before a move back into a head coaching role, but that didn’t really fly with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a complete different topic. Funny how the fixtures aren’t set in stone and adjusted during the season.

We went from abysmal and not worthy to what I’d consider exciting, young and great viewing.

Unfortunately the fixtures were adjusted when we were abysmal viewing.

So dumb. I haven’t looked into it but I bet Saints gained some prime slots.

AFL just showing how stupid they are again.

There was so much to dislike about about the TV commentary yesterday. I couldn’t believe how they went on(and on and on and on) about the push in the back free to Amiss. This was despite clear and unequivical pictorial evidence that the correct decision was made.
Also The Stand Rule is one of the worst dreamt up by the Rules Commitee.

Are you sure about your last sentence there? Sounds way too general and convenient for it to be actually accurate. Nevertheless, I'm a bit dubious about more stoppages being good for an open game (which probably is the most exciting to watch).

If we're talking reducing CTE potential, players having adjusted risk/reward expectations when tackling might stop the risky intent of pinning arms and bringing the ball-possessor to ground as quickly and forcefully as possible.

Watch games in the 80's and 90's. Maybe I should have said "reached the ground hard". Part of the reason is it was open with no flooding, so there were much fewer arms-pinned tackles laid. Arms usually flailing in open space, run downs, a few stand-up tackles at stoppages, etc. Another stat ... that 1989 GF had 47 tackles to 25(!). In the most brutal game of all time. Most of the other finals were 50-60 total tackles. Both teams had 75 each yesterday.

And I'm not talking about more stoppages. Pretty much every single slam tackle penalised was going to be a stoppage otherwise. There's almost zero stoppages prevented by waiting on a tackled player who is pinned with no arms free (i.e. the situation which leads to a dangerous tackle). Admittedly some of these tackles do happen too quickly to stop the action by a whistle.

That’s exactly to first thought that came to my mind. ABC we’re under the impression he wanted to get a feel before a move back into a head coaching role, but that didn’t really fly with me.
I can see Buckley doing very well in a "director of football" overseeing a more junior coach.

JL talked about this in his press conference; Buckley is in the media and he wanted to get an inside insight into how the Freo club worked. Longmuir was in for it to get some feedback as Bucks is a mentor for him and he wanted a different opinion on his game day approach.

Seriously why don't both clubs push for this game to be a Saturday prime time slot during the 2nd week of Doug Nicholls round at the MCG instead of a Saturday arvo match.

Let's push the Naarm v Walyalup names into a big game every year as the 2nd dreamtime match the following Saturday.

Or is it because only VFL teams can have yearly prime time slot.

Make it a special event that can lure freo fans from WA to make the trip to Melbourne for the weekend for a big match at the MCG.

Seriously why don't both clubs push for this game to be a Saturday prime time slot during the 2nd week of Doug Nicholls round at the MCG instead of a Saturday arvo match.

Let's push the Naarm v Walyalup names into a big game every year as the 2nd dreamtime match the following Saturday.

Or is it because only VFL teams can have yearly prime time slot.

Make it a special event that can lure freo fans from WA to make the trip to Melbourne for the weekend for a big match at the MCG.
Hard to manufacture a special event when the crowd is that sparce.

As an aside Melbourne are screwed in terms of supporters long term. Over time ppl move out to the burbs and will take up new teams. The new demographic in the city won't be following Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back