FTA-TV Wandavision

Remove this Banner Ad

Last maybe 10 mins;

Set up Scarlet Witch.
Set up return of mind stone Vision.
Keep Agatha around to influence / impact story beats.
Keep MCU Quicksilver.
Tie up "unknowns" (Evan Peters QS, who is Dottie, what's Haywards end game)
Close Wandavision (I know my identity as a magic being moving forward)

Everyone knew House of M, everyone expected MCU ramifications of the same notes, reveal of a big bad (Nighmare, Mephisto) and then having new to fight it, and it was basically subverting it for the identity of Wanda Maximoff -> Scarlet Witch. Which is why then you had the end of read book -> hear noise (expanded perceptions) open new thread of what is reality?

Listen to Wandas explanation to Vision, match that to where Vision touches White just before he buggers off.

You are the piece of the mind stone within me -> I'm touching where the mind stone sits and it now pulses with my energy having imparted my memories in here with the memories of the body you inhabit. The restriction SWORD imputed to control.

Then you flip to potentially other realities and knock off the return of 2 infinity stones (Mind + Reality) to the world of the MCU since Wanda heard her kids who presumedly vanished with her Vision when the world rescinded, touch on a third given how Wanda created her world (Killed Vision aka her love, watched him die again, died herself, it literally poured out from her soul in constucting this space).

Transpose this against Agthas "you don't know what you have done" grovelling when Wanda assumed the Scarlet Witch "I control chaos" to how this started during her recollection, where the world created through the grief of her soul and emotive overload with her untrained magic.

It's also why I liked it, so very wrong in a few things, but it's the joy of having those guesses and then having something different? Unexpected? Others see it as safe or missing things, but it's also what, Agatha is trustworthy now is she? It's exactly 100% as described and it's all a neat bow?
It wasn't an actual request, but thanks mate

These guys have been running a podcast on wandavision and the MCU which is a good listen.

and they’re generally quite positive and glowing of the show, and although they do recognize that some potential plotlines have opened up, you can hear their disappointment in the finale, which mirrors what quiet a few here have been saying.

particularly about Ralph Bohner.

Davis really does land some very big interviews in the Marvel world, his interview with Feige a month or two back was very good if you haven’t already seen it. And he’s interviewing Shakman on next week’s podcast which I’ll definitely be tuning in for.

Overall, huge fan of the show. I felt the show itself was much better than the finale itself, if that makes sense. As a stand alone episode, the finale would be down my order of the 9 individual episodes. In the context of the building up of the last few weeks, it didn’t necessarily hit it out of the park.

It did however deliver some very good emotional notes. The saying goodnight to Billy and Tommy, hit me right in the feels. Knowing that it’s essentially the last time they’ll see them with what was about to happen.

Some of the moments between Wanda and Vision have been exceptional, and showcases the beauty of this format of storytelling. You can reach levels of depth that just can’t be done when you’re a co-character in a big ensemble movie. A credit to their acting, which again they aren’t able to do at that level in the films.

The number of set ups though, whether deliberate or not, did become a bit of a pisstake. Sure there are things like the aerospace engineer becoming a whole side mystery and leads to endless theories and speculation, which is in part a reflection of the fan base passion they’ve been able to generate. That’s fine.

Bettany’s line is now really funny looking back on it. Well played, that got me. Olsen talking up a reveal akin to Luke in the Mandalorian, well I guess she’s doing her PR to ensure the hype and interest keeps going (and she’s not exactly going to talk it down when somewhat coerced by journalist questions). Again, okay.

The teasing of the multiverse for Far From Home, again I can deal with the misdirect. Mysterio teased from another dimension in the trailers, the usage of Earth 616, all ultimately came to nothing. Okay, fair enough. They do play the long and patient game better than anyone. All good.

No missing person confirmation, still unsure if Spectrum or Photon, Dottie, Mr Scratch. The list goes on. Overall, these are perhaps “nice to haves” rather than “need to”. Again, neither here nor there overall.

But Evan Peters as Quicksilver, this one was taking it too far I’d say. Literally that role could’ve been filled by any actor available. To emulate Quicksilver/Pietro, then have him ultimately reduced to a dick joke. Am genuinely surprised that was allowed to stay in the final product. Geez. Cringe.

I get Evan Peters was just used as a red herring, but the whole boner joke was lame and the story arcs of Monica Rambeau, Darcy, and Jimmy were dispatched in a very unsatisfying way. The showdown between Agnes and Wanda was well done though, and the Vison v White Vision part was very good too. Especially the discussion. I still see the finale as a show with hits and misses, and really think Marvel would've been better off making it a 90-minute episode because there were a lot of things (like the townsfolk telling Wanda that what she was doing to them was horrifying and her understanding of that at last) just brushed over and wrapped up too quickly.

Davis really does land some very big interviews in the Marvel world, his interview with Feige a month or two back was very good if you haven’t already seen it. And he’s interviewing Shakman on next week’s podcast which I’ll definitely be tuning in for.

Did you read the interview with Shakman. He was apologising before it even aired. Oof.

Overall, huge fan of the show. I felt the show itself was much better than the finale itself, if that makes sense. As a stand alone episode, the finale would be down my order of the 9 individual episodes. In the context of the building up of the last few weeks, it didn’t necessarily hit it out of the park.

It did however deliver some very good emotional notes. The saying goodnight to Billy and Tommy, hit me right in the feels. Knowing that it’s essentially the last time they’ll see them with what was about to happen.

Some of the moments between Wanda and Vision have been exceptional, and showcases the beauty of this format of storytelling. You can reach levels of depth that just can’t be done when you’re a co-character in a big ensemble movie. A credit to their acting, which again they aren’t able to do at that level in the films.

The number of set ups though, whether deliberate or not, did become a bit of a pisstake. Sure there are things like the aerospace engineer becoming a whole side mystery and leads to endless theories and speculation, which is in part a reflection of the fan base passion they’ve been able to generate. That’s fine.

Bettany’s line is now really funny looking back on it. Well played, that got me. Olsen talking up a reveal akin to Luke in the Mandalorian, well I guess she’s doing her PR to ensure the hype and interest keeps going (and she’s not exactly going to talk it down when somewhat coerced by journalist questions). Again, okay.

The teasing of the multiverse for Far From Home, again I can deal with the misdirect. Mysterio teased from another dimension in the trailers, the usage of Earth 616, all ultimately came to nothing. Okay, fair enough. They do play the long and patient game better than anyone. All good.

No missing person confirmation, still unsure if Spectrum or Photon, Dottie, Mr Scratch. The list goes on. Overall, these are perhaps “nice to haves” rather than “need to”. Again, neither here nor there overall.

But Evan Peters as Quicksilver, this one was taking it too far I’d say. Literally that role could’ve been filled by any actor available. To emulate Quicksilver/Pietro, then have him ultimately reduced to a dick joke. Am genuinely surprised that was allowed to stay in the final product. Geez. Cringe.

I never got why everyone got so hyped up over Dottie. Yeah they had the line about her being in charge of the town but Emma Caulfield is not a star thats going to be given a big role in the MCU.

Yeah the Bettany and Olsen comments dont really bother me. Once I read what Olsen actually said it was clear that words were essentially put in her mouth. Im thought there might be more backlash against her glad there isnt.

Olsens performance and arc was a big positive especially ep 8.

They only had to do 2 small things. Exlcude Ralph all together. That means Evan Peters. That the truly unforgiveble mistake here.

And have a cameo by Cumberbatch to fullfill the promises made. Would have made the ending much more satisfying.

Also, a major nitpick but surely Darcy driving a small ice-cream truck into a military grade Humvee would have accomplished f***-all... Aside from Darcy being mince meat against the windshield 😂

I get Evan Peters was just used as a red herring, but the whole boner joke was lame and the story arcs of Monica Rambeau, Darcy, and Jimmy were dispatched in a very unsatisfying way. The showdown between Agnes and Wanda was well done though, and the Vison v White Vision part was very good too. Especially the discussion. I still see the finale as a show with hits and misses, and really think Marvel would've been better off making it a 90-minute episode because there were a lot of things (like the townsfolk telling Wanda that what she was doing to them was horrifying and her understanding of that at last) just brushed over and wrapped up too quickly.

The discussion between the two Visions was the highlight for me, I enjoyed that more than their fight itself.

Felt the episode would’ve benefited from a longer runtime and Darcy was quite inconspicuous the last few weeks.

Did you read the interview with Shakman. He was apologising before it even aired. Oof.

Yes I read that the other day, he did seem quite taken aback by the response to the show and the amount of wild theories and discussions it has generated. He understandably evaded the Quicksilver/multiverse question until the finale had aired, so am keen to hear his comments later this week.

Great post.
ultimately finales in TV land in contemporary times havent been great. Game of Thrones fleshed this out with penultimate episodes being the bees knees.
agreed wanda-vision acting, they have real chemistry.
setups, i liken it to the bell curve. lower than the mean score is early on where credits scenes are inserted to get people interested and quizicle. Slowly as movies roll out they get more elaborate, but also must be trumped. Other elements are added, and it continues. Higher than the mean score, and we reached the peak. Does wandavision sit on that downward slide? Adding evan peters suggests so with the classic misdirect.
But i can let that go as overall its been a brilliant series.

yeah also the darcy thing, had real feels of oh s**t we forgot about her, better slot her in somehow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much like everyone here I agree they didn’t stick the landing, i also agree that the build up and teased cameos not happening was frustrating, I hope that doesn’t continue to happen in other shows, this one had enough sizzle without lies and deceit.

I think my major gripe is with the production quality and values in the last ep, I thought the Agatha/Wanda battle looks like a bad video game cut scene.

Much like everyone here I agree they didn’t stick the landing, i also agree that the build up and teased cameos not happening was frustrating, I hope that doesn’t continue to happen in other shows, this one had enough sizzle without lies and deceit.

I think my major gripe is with the production quality and values in the last ep, I thought the Agatha/Wanda battle looks like a bad video game cut scene.

The only comments that lead to possibly something else from them specifically were saying it ties in to Dr Strange 2, which it still may, and that Paul Bettany was going to work with an actor he has always wanted, which he did and is an old joke, everything else was just fan nonsense which, while fun, isn’t on them.

Though Olsen mentioning a Skywalker type cameo was a slip.

The only comments that lead to possibly something else from them specifically were saying it ties in to Dr Strange 2, which it still may, and that Paul Bettany was going to work with an actor he has always wanted, which he did and is an old joke, everything else was just fan nonsense which, while fun, isn’t on them.

Though Olsen mentioning a Skywalker type cameo was a slip.
So you’ve just said they didn’t lie about anything then mentioned two lies...

Might not have annoyed you but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

So you’ve just said they didn’t lie about anything then mentioned two lies...

Might not have annoyed you but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

They didn’t.

Only 1 that can be considered a lie depending on a point of view was Olsens Luke Skywalker type cameo comment and that wasn’t Marvel but an actor.

The link to Dr Strange 2 isn’t a lie.

They didn’t.

Only 1 that can be considered a lie depending on a point of view was Olsens Luke Skywalker type cameo comment and that wasn’t Marvel but an actor.

The link to Dr Strange 2 isn’t a lie.
The bettany one? Still makes two to me.

In any event they clearly mislead fans and I hope that doesn’t become the norm.

It wasn’t a lie it’s an old school joke.

No fans mislead themselves.
Given i pretty openly talked about the Occams Razor and our tendency towards looking for every little detail and making it something I’m well aware of what we do as fans.

This isn’t that, the two leads from a show openly misled fans about what was coming, you’re defending it by saying they were jokes or slips, imo that’s a cop out.

I hope it doesn’t continue to happen for other shows.

Given i pretty openly talked about the Occams Razor and our tendency towards looking for every little detail and making it something I’m well aware of what we do as fans.

This isn’t that, the two leads from a show openly misled fans about what was coming, you’re defending it by saying they were jokes or slips, imo that’s a cop out.

I hope it doesn’t continue to happen for other shows.

And you are blaming the show for you building something in your own head.

And you are blaming the show for you building something in your own head.
Not really.

I’m not calling for them to be drawn and quartered mate but they pretty openly said two things would happen that clearly didn’t happen. I’m not sure why you’re so staunchly defending them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back