WANTED: Help for a book on tassie footy

Remove this Banner Ad

i think it was just off the estate road on the right hand side at the start there is a sign with the estates name on it mate.:)

Preety good thanks. Dads getting the camera in the next week, and I'm just going through old newspapers and books looking for info on clubs. I thought get all the clubs together then locate their grounds.

Going camping down the peninsula and on Maria island during the holidays so I should be able to get some grounds on the way up to Orford and down to the peninsula. Will be making some trips to the library next week.

cool there are some good grounds down the peninsula the copping ground is a good one ,dodges played there for a bit was the ground us for the tasman grand final for a year or so:)

Isn't a bad ground Copping. Has an electric fence through the middle now and sheep grazing on it. Took photos of it a few years back. Heard something about plans for a BMX track being built on part of it.

Dunnaley ground is not to bad either. Sorell council wants to get rid of the clubrooms I think because no one uses them. Port Arthurs ground is getting used next season. Nubeenas is used by a soccer team now. Would you know where Forcetts ground was.

dont kmow where it is mate .port arthur ground to be used by new odfa team that is good news they play cricket on those grounds down that way to

Is good news that new team. Are they absolute definates for next season. Ill put them in my excel documents if they are.

Should be good. Most of the pics I've taken in recent times have been on the Nokia 6500 Slide - not bad but not up to the standard of a good quality digi-cam.
I had some excellent photos of Huonville, Cygnet, Kermandie and Franklin grounds which I took about 5-6 years ago.
Had a very nice one of the old pavilion at Franklin that got torn down about 2½ years ago due to safety concerns by the Huon Valley Council.
Had ones taken from the interior and exterior of the Cresswell-Beakley Stand at KGV that got burned down, Dodges Ferry and a few others.
Dunno where the **** they've gone though :confused: Somewhere!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah will go to those another day. Seeing as Mt Pleasants is north of Oatlands and Woodsdale and Colebrook are a bit out of the way. While Parratah and Tunnack are 12km south of oatlands on the same road. Glenorchys doing a pre season camp at woodsdale and my dads has to go because he's a trainer so I will most likely go along too.

cresswellbeakleylg9.jpg

insidethecbstandhw3.jpg

There we go, the original Cresswell-Beakley Stand at KGV.
Works started in late 1961 and the building was opened for the Magpies' third home game of 1962, later destroyed by fire on 10 October 2007.
Note the curved wooden ceiling, this was unique in its design intended to cover the roofing trusses to eliminate birds from gathering in the ceiling and pooping all over seats and trusses.
In the end, it was what caused the fire to spread so rapidly and destroy the stand.

woodsdale are a great football club you will have a great time up there

Hope I do. Should be good, Akermanis is meant to be there so should meet him hopefully.

There we go, the original Cresswell-Beakley Stand at KGV.
Works started in late 1961 and the building was opened for the Magpies' third home game of 1962, later destroyed by fire on 10 October 2007.
Note the curved wooden ceiling, this was unique in its design intended to cover the roofing trusses to eliminate birds from gathering in the ceiling and pooping all over seats and trusses.
In the end, it was what caused the fire to spread so rapidly and destroy the stand.

Thanks for the pictures, they're good quality. Always liked that stand, would sit in it when I started to watch the pies.

Well we went to look at some grounds today. Did Kempton, Oatlands, Parratah, Tunnack and Colebrook. Last three were preety run down. Especially Colebrook. I'll post a few photos later tonight.

good job look forward to seeing them the colebrook ground would be run down have not had a team for 15 oddyears they reformed the cricket club this year parrattah have not had a team since the late 80s:footy:

good job look forward to seeing them the colebrook ground would be run down have not had a team for 15 oddyears they reformed the cricket club this year parrattah have not had a team since the late 80s:footy:
I used to work with a bloke about 6 or 7 years ago that was full-forward for the Parattah Bombers in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
Went to Clarence for a bit as well in there, then gave it up to concentrate on beer.
Parratah went out of existence at the end of the 1986 season.
Colebrook, anytime I think of that town I think of that old duck that used to ring ABC Radio's Football Phone-In each Saturday arvo during the TFL season - Clarice from Colebrook, who barracked for Clarence.
Colebrook originally were only in the comp from 1974-1978, then in 1989 they reformed but went into recess again at the end of 1994.
My favourite was Kempton, great little ground :thumbsu:
I can recall being there when more than 1,000 turned out at Kempton for a Hobart v Clarence practice match in 30+ degree heat only weeks before the start of the original TFL Statewide League in 1986.
Baldy Fox, Alastair Lynch, Paul Hudson lining up for the Tigers, I remember we sat under a very large tree to grab some respite from a searing sun that day.

I used to work with a bloke about 6 or 7 years ago that was full-forward for the Parattah Bombers in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
Went to Clarence for a bit as well in there, then gave it up to concentrate on beer.

I'm guessing you are talking about Mick Worker?....

I believe they were the Parattah Robins, I may be wrong, but I remember many many trips to Parattah as a school aged footy nut to watch my uncles play.......

I'm guessing you are talking about Mick Worker?....

I believe they were the Parattah Robins, I may be wrong, but I remember many many trips to Parattah as a school aged footy nut to watch my uncles play.......

You'd be right, Had a peek into the clubrooms there and they had a picture of a robin holding a footy.And the old ODFA site says they were the robins too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back