Europe War in Ukraine - Thread 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sibermedia reports this from Irkutsk:

A rally "against NATO", "Bandera-ism" and in support of the "special operation" was held in Irkutsk. The participants came out with red flags and portraits of Stalin.

“The true nature of this special military operation is downplayed. We came out in order to condemn the manifestation of fascism, Bandera and support the soldiers who are participating in the operation, and support the idea of an anti-fascist forum, ”they said into the microphone. In addition, they talked about US military bases and expressed "angry condemnation of US colonial policy."

The rally was not approved by the authorities; at the time of the anthem, an administration employee with a megaphone tried to disperse it, but he did not succeed. The action was attended by the former governor of the region, now a State Duma deputy from the Communist Party, Sergey Levchenko. He called the official's attempt to disperse the uncoordinated rally as the actions of the "fifth column".

According to our information, no one was detained.

Also a youtube video from the same event, found via a link in the original:

(nested links to the sources of the dispersion attempt and response are also found within the original via the link)

Despite Western sanctions, Russia’s economy has fared better than Ukraine’s because high oil and natural gas prices have bolstered the Kremlin’s budget.
Plans by the EU and allies in the Group of Seven democracies to place a price cap on Russian oil sales aim to change that.
The Kyiv school economists say “by the middle of next year, we believe that the economic situation will shift strongly in Ukraine’s favor, making strong partner support particularly important over the period until that point.”

To get loans, the commission proposed requiring Ukraine to improve its record on corruption. Since 2014, Ukraine has raised its score on Transparency International’s corruption perceptions index from 26 to 32 out of 100 — not great, but improving.
U.S. officials have praised Ukraine’s online procurement platform for introducing transparency in government contracts — one big source of corrupt dealings and collusion — and saving $6 billion.
The prospect of EU membership also gives Ukraine incentive to clean up corruption
My friend in central Ukraine says that her country has definitely suffered from severe corruption issues. Not "lets invade our neighbours and plunder them to keep the siloviki's guns out of our ears" corrupt, but definitely cronyism and "swipe a gob a money off the top" corrupt. Maybe the next time I talk to her I'll ask for more detail. But ... well communication is hard when it's raining shells every few days, and generally when we chat I try to provide distraction from how s**t her and her partner's situation is, not bring it to the forefront!

Meanwhile, a protest against Iran is taking place in Georgia because of its assistance to the Russian Federation in the war with Ukraine. Not only Georgians, but also Iranians, who disagree with the policy of their own country, joined the action.
georgiairanrussieprotest.png

Original [link] too big to embed, hence:

A long, but interesting interview with a very entertaining English mercenary.

'...we would have won the Crusades if we'd had wet wipes.'

Was just about to post this when suddenly he mentioned the crusades and wet wipes, and realised someone had already posted it.

It's very interesting video. I think referring to the Georgians as "a bit piratey" was another quotable moment.

A long interview by Ukrinform with Mykhailo Podolyak (Adviser to the Head of the President’s Office)
Question - You are a member of the team on negotiating with Russia. Are there any communications between Kyiv and Moscow today? If so, who conducts them and what issues are discussed?

Answer - It is important to say about two periods of this process in terms of time. The first part is everything that happened before the Bucha tragedy. Then a certain negotiation process really took place. It was not as effective and promising as it would have been, but still it could indeed be called a negotiation, or at least a preparation for it. Various people played different roles in it, trying to find some solution to this fundamental, I would say, worldview conflict, which was launched on the current scale by the Russian army invasion of Ukraine’s territory.
However, all this ended at the time of Russia's withdrawal from Kyiv region. Then we, Ukraine, realized that this war cannot end by finding a compromise: it is a war of genocidal type, when one subject destroys another civilization. This fundamentally changed everything, closed any window of opportunity for a dialogue with Russia.

"Could humans really do this?”: Stories of civilians killed in Bucha, Ukraine

Last edited:
Sibermedia reports this from Irkutsk:

A rally "against NATO", "Bandera-ism" and in support of the "special operation" was held in Irkutsk. The participants came out with red flags and portraits of Stalin.

“The true nature of this special military operation is downplayed. We came out in order to condemn the manifestation of fascism, Bandera and support the soldiers who are participating in the operation, and support the idea of an anti-fascist forum, ”they said into the microphone. In addition, they talked about US military bases and expressed "angry condemnation of US colonial policy."

The rally was not approved by the authorities; at the time of the anthem, an administration employee with a megaphone tried to disperse it, but he did not succeed. The action was attended by the former governor of the region, now a State Duma deputy from the Communist Party, Sergey Levchenko. He called the official's attempt to disperse the uncoordinated rally as the actions of the "fifth column".

According to our information, no one was detained.

Also a youtube video from the same event, found via a link in the original:

(nested links to the sources of the dispersion attempt and response are also found within the original via the link)

The Russian Communist Party are a sham. They're nationalist Putin dupes. I've got some documents put out by a Maoist Russian group early in the war that explain what the actual left there think. I'll try find them

The Russian Communist Party are a sham. They're nationalist Putin dupes. I've got some documents put out by a Maoist Russian group early in the war that explain what the actual left there think. I'll try find them
Yep they were pretty much nurtured into a safety net (I think 2 or 3 parties were) to keep United Russia from having any actual competition. Pretty much the 2nd most supported party, but well behind UR. I'd be keen to see what you had there if you can locate it! I read a bit here and there but most went a bit over my head.

Yep they were pretty much nurtured into a safety net (I think 2 or 3 parties were) to keep United Russia from having any actual competition. Pretty much the 2nd most supported party, but well behind UR. I'd be keen to see what you had there if you can locate it! I read a bit here and there but most went a bit over my head.
They were a genuine left opposition in early post USSR Russia to the point the yanks rigged elections to keep Yeltsin in but Zyuganov has been long bought off by Putin. Now they're just an outlet for oldies who remember when they at least had a guaranteed job and housing before the economic shock therapy and kleptocracy but the party just backs Putin. Give me a bit of time, I'll find the docs, they're buried somewhere in my protonmail account, interesting reading even if I disagree with a few points.

Despite Western sanctions, Russia’s economy has fared better than Ukraine’s because high oil and natural gas prices have bolstered the Kremlin’s budget.
Plans by the EU and allies in the Group of Seven democracies to place a price cap on Russian oil sales aim to change that.
The Kyiv school economists say “by the middle of next year, we believe that the economic situation will shift strongly in Ukraine’s favor, making strong partner support particularly important over the period until that point.”

To get loans, the commission proposed requiring Ukraine to improve its record on corruption. Since 2014, Ukraine has raised its score on Transparency International’s corruption perceptions index from 26 to 32 out of 100 — not great, but improving.
U.S. officials have praised Ukraine’s online procurement platform for introducing transparency in government contracts — one big source of corrupt dealings and collusion — and saving $6 billion.
The prospect of EU membership also gives Ukraine incentive to clean up corruption
Russia have said poo to that. At the moment it's selling for US$68 a barrel and the cap is at US$60.

They have China and India to see to thats probably cheaper than that, but still no G7s.

FFS, get to your proton mail account you lazy sod and dig it out.
Dw I'll get it to ya eventually. It's saturated with docs from all over the world so it'll take me a while lol, they're back from like Feb when the invasion happened

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just about to post this when suddenly he mentioned the crusades and wet wipes, and realised someone had already posted it.

It's very interesting video. I think referring to the Georgians as "a bit piratey" was another quotable moment.
Yes, a few quotable quotes. He reminds me of Craig Charles from Red Dwarf/Robot wars fame, in manner and looks, I expected him to describe someone as a smeghead.

lol. She claims they basically took Kyiv in the first week. Despite the fact the Russians never set foot in the vast city itself apart from a few foolhardy Russian soldiers who lost their way and drove themselves into ambushes in the city centre where they were quickly disposed of.

Russia couldn't even capture any regional cities in the north at all, which were many times smaller than Kyiv. The whole thing was a disaster for them.

They do certainly breed a special kind of moron in the Russian media field.

I thought Ukraine were the ones who were supposed to have the issues with their infrastructure and their electricity and gas cut off.

I thought Ukraine were the ones who were supposed to have the issues with their infrastructure and their electricity and gas cut off.

Jeepers that's cold!
Hopefully they can stay safe by layering up, drinking warm water/tea etc etc, but I'm unsure what is needed to survive those sorts of temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back