War of the Worlds (SBS)

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Eight years episode mini series. First two episodes were on tonight. Pretty decent I thought, though it hasn't got very good reviews on IMDB. I would say most revviewers were American who marked it down for not being full of CGI effects.

Eight years episode mini series. First two episodes were on tonight. Pretty decent I thought, though it hasn't got very good reviews on IMDB. I would say most revviewers were American who marked it down for not being full of CGI effects.
Maybe they were getting confused with the horrible UK version, which came out around the same time?

Wasn't what I was expecting, I thought it would have more special effects like the 2005 Spielberg blockbuster featuring Tom Cruise in one of his best roles.

I liked the way they downplayed it though, no special effects and you only saw glimpses of the alien creatures which helps to create tension and suspense.

There were some long scenes which seemed a bit too placid and boring but they helped to make the brutally violent scenes more impactful, film making 101.

Also interesting how it switches between English and French, gives some different perspectives and I can speak a bit of French so the subtitles don't bother moi.

Affirmative.

A really bad one, set in London, in Edwardian times (as per the HG Wells book):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8001226/

A good one, set in London & France, in modern times (inspired by HG Wells book, but in no way faithful to it):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9686194/

SBS have the good one.
Watched the first one a while back and when it finished I thought, okay, wonder when the next episodes come out... nope, it was finished. Weird one.

Intruiged with the latest offering after 2 episodes enough to watch more to see how it goes.

I'm enjoying this.

Saw the bad reviews on IMDB which seemed to be centred around "it's all a bit grim" because the end of the world needs some light relief and yucks. This one doesn't hold back. That plucky little child you think is going to somehow survive? Forget it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw one critique was "why would they send killer robot dogs?"

Seems to me that's exactly what you'd send to a new planet you wanted to take over. Not wander off a ship to say hello.

I saw one critique was "why would they send killer robot dogs?"

Seems to me that's exactly what you'd send to a new planet you wanted to take over. Not wander off a ship to say hello.
Unlike the original where why wouldn’t a more intelligent alien race know of the possibility of the danger of human diseases.

I saw a doco once with these experts talking about life on other planets etc, and I remember one saying that if we were to be invaded by an alien species they'd likely send robots first before they themselves arrive. But then they said the idea of invading Earth for its resources was dumb because all those same resources are available in space and probably easier to get.

But then they said the idea of invading Earth for its resources was dumb because all those same resources are available in space and probably easier to get.
The metal dogs have contain flesh, so maybe the aliens require a world with our atmosphere, water etc

I have enjoyed the first 5 eps, the alien metal dogs are obviously searching for babies, the last scene, with the female officer, tells it all
Oh gees not the Ice King again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back