Warhammer 40K

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
Every time I look at 40k it looks hideously expensive. But it also looks pretty so I am on a Facebook group for buying and selling just to look at the pictures.

Yea. The paint alone is 50 bucks for a small set of tubs.. starter kits are like $140.

Whats the name of the group?

Ebay have cheap ones.. I saw Warmachines/Hordes are like $50 for their starter kit, but you have to order online.

Wise Guy Sam

Premium Platinum
Dec 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Galactic Empire
Anyone here play Warhammer 40K in Melbourne? In particular outer south east Melbourne (around Cranbourne area)?

Best thing to do is find a few Facebook groups for 40k.

You also might find the oakleigh GW attracts more people from your area.

House of war in Ringwood has regularish 40k games/events too and your more likely to meet people to get games in there if you can stand the drive.

Every time I look at 40k it looks hideously expensive. But it also looks pretty so I am on a Facebook group for buying and selling just to look at the pictures.

This, Games Workshop fullstop. I 1st started buying GW figures in the early 90's, you used to get a dozen metal figures for $5. Over the years the cost has increased with the number of figures decreasing and becoming plastic. I had a full warhammer Orc and Dwarf army, an Epic Squat army and gave away the warhammer armies after GW once again brought out some new rule versions which required you to buy some new and even more expensive figures to keep up to speed with the other players.

The_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2005
North Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
australia
I spent heaps of my parents money on these figurines, paints and 'white dwarf' magazines 92-97
Buggered if I know where they went, only played the actual game once

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Bit part collector here (never really competed or anything, just liked the back stories and the look of everything haha)
Bought most of my stuff off eBay/gumtree, always stuff going pretty cheap on there

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Anyone here play Warhammer 40K in Melbourne? In particular outer south east Melbourne (around Cranbourne area)?
I'm a little further south than yourself (Frankston).
I haven't played for a couple of years but I've got a heap of Eldar (10k points) and smaller Dark Angel (Deathwing) and Khorne Daemon armies.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I haven't played in a while as I was a Fantasy player, but I quit that after the putrid changes GW made.

I would like to start-up a Dark Angels/Fallen army and will eventually do so.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

There is a community in Ringwood that plays - there is a GW shop there and also an independent gaming store (House of War) which his huge, and has many tables for all kinds of games. You'd be able to find a game or two there.

I haven't played in a while as I was a Fantasy player, but I quit that after the putrid changes GW made.

Kings of War is a good option if you still have your fantasy army.

Really, there's a lot of alternative games these days, and while some are just as expensive, many are a lot cheaper, and the vast majority have rules that are immensely better. The 40k rules are a bolted together frankenmonster built around a rulebook written 18 years ago, which itself was much derived from a set of rules developed over 30 years ago - and it shows, desperately.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Kings of War is a good option if you still have your fantasy army.

Really, there's a lot of alternative games these days, and while some are just as expensive, many are a lot cheaper, and the vast majority have rules that are immensely better. The 40k rules are a bolted together frankenmonster built around a rulebook written 18 years ago, which itself was much derived from a set of rules developed over 30 years ago - and it shows, desperately.
I do love 40k. But the rules currently are just so haphazardly put together.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Looks like some big changes are coming to the 40k scene

I noticed a heap of stuff got released recently with that Gathering Storm thing
I found about 1,000 points of SoB (including Celestine) on eBay for $200 so as long as they don't get thrown on the scrap heap any time soon I'll stay happy lol

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
I noticed a heap of stuff got released recently with that Gathering Storm thing
I found about 1,000 points of SoB (including Celestine) on eBay for $200 so as long as they don't get thrown on the scrap heap any time soon I'll stay happy lol
They did have a big sale for the Sisters (there will be a plastic kit sometime this year) and theres the Triumvirates for major factions coming out during the Gathering Storm. We've had the Imperium (which had a re-release of St Celestine), Eldar/Aeldenari and now Space Marines coming in the next few weeks.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
They did have a big sale for the Sisters (there will be a plastic kit sometime this year) and theres the Triumvirates for major factions coming out during the Gathering Storm. We've had the Imperium (which had a re-release of St Celestine), Eldar/Aeldenari and now Space Marines coming in the next few weeks.

Yeah I reckon Ringwood GW still have the same Sisters stock from over a decade ago when I first bought from there lol

Jun 13, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I played a small game with a mate for the first time in 15 years using the 3rd Ed rules
Was a pretty fun game although we spent most of the time looking up rules as we had completely forgotten even the basics

What's ppls opinions of the newer rule sets? I hear they are basically marketing material to get you fielding 100 plus minituares
852a37611edf9149a836bb0728aa4f8c.jpg

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I played a small game with a mate for the first time in 15 years using the 3rd Ed rules
Was a pretty fun game although we spent most of the time looking up rules as we had completely forgotten even the basics

What's ppls opinions of the newer rule sets? I hear they are basically marketing material to get you fielding 100 plus minituares
852a37611edf9149a836bb0728aa4f8c.jpg
I'm looking forward to the new edition. I'm pretty lucky in that I've got 3 armies and can easily play large games with all of them.

Can also make different style armies as well to really get a feel of the new rules. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Jun 13, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm looking forward to the new edition. I'm pretty lucky in that I've got 3 armies and can easily play large games with all of them.

Can also make different style armies as well to really get a feel of the new rules. So I'm cautiously optimistic.
I was more thinking on the terms of what works / doesn't work in the newer editions

Once we got back in the groove it was actually pretty fun. Although my space jihadists got mauled

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I was more thinking on the terms of what works / doesn't work in the newer editions
Well in 7th I found it heavily favoured shooting armies, with overwatch being particularly brutal. But from what I've seen of 8th edition rules it seems to have corrected this some what.

Back