Warhammer 40K

Remove this Banner Ad

I got mine from GW, the next issue goes up to $20 so not sure I'll grab it.

I haven't decided what army I'll start so no point having too many ultramarines and Deathguard if I'm not going to use them.

They don't have to be smurfs, i'm painting mine as Salamanders which are one of the original 9 'loyal' marine legions and are green black and gold in colour but regardless of what you try to do you will just end up with space marines :p

The beauty of marines though is there are technically 1000 chapters so you can do whatever paint scheme you want don't feel like you have to do Ultramarines just because that's what the magazine says those guys can be used as any chapter really.

I've never gone out of my way to collect or buy any marines and could throw together 1500-2000 points without trying

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Space_Marine_Chapters

Last edited:
They don't have to be smurfs, i'm painting mine as Salamanders which are one of the original 9 'loyal' marine legions and are green black and gold in colour but regardless of what you try to do you will just end up with space marines

The beauty of marines though is there are technically 1000 chapters so you can do whatever paint scheme you want don't feel like you have to do Ultramarines just because that's what the magazine says those guys can be used as any chapter really.

I've never gone out of my way to collect or buy any marines and could throw together 1500-2000 points without trying

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Space_Marine_Chapters
I ended up staying with ultramarines because I already have all the paints. I was going to have to spend $70 Just on paint if I wanted to start a Tau army.

I like the ultramarine blue, always have for whatever reason and they have a better range of more detailed models whcoh is what im after to get better at painting. I'm getting a dreadnought instead of chocolate for Easter haha.

General rule of thumb, if someone else makes an alternative hobby product buy that because it will be a **** ton cheaper

I use British paints spray easy paint and prime for undercoating, black or white depending on what i'm doing, it's a few bucks a can and no different to citadel and their bullshit just make sure you get flat primer, not gloss or matt.

Brushes same deal you can pick up decent brushes for a few bucks at hobby stores like riot. I got a decent sable hair from there for the same price as GW

I pretty much only buy models and even then not directly from GW because **** their prices and paint I will buy from GW because i'm too lazy to find alternatives.

s**t like mediums and texture paint for bases can all be found cheaper elsewhere.

I'm still working through Wake the dead and the Eldar battleforce I got for christmas, just finished the WTD farseer on the weekend

2yuMB0z.jpg
I ended up fiddly bits and another called squirts which both worked fine. I also grabbed some simple green to strip some models back as I want to do the paint job better.

I also grabbed some brushes from Bunnings which ended up being ok.

I ended up fiddly bits and another called squirts which both worked fine. I also grabbed some simple green to strip some models back as I want to do the paint job better.

I also grabbed some brushes from Bunnings which ended up being ok.

Dettol also works for stripping models or any home brand alternative if you want a cheap option.

One piece of advice though, keep your first model it's always good to look back and compare how far you have come

My mate bought the whole kit of new paints, will let you know how he likes it

I really liked the black
Tried the iyanden yellow on wraithguard and was a bit meh
The warp lightning on some marines looked cool though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mate was really hoping it'd help him with his yellows. Scythes of the Emperor i think...

What's he talking about
Averland sunset base coat
Yriel yellow layer 16 to 74 coats
Shade
More yriel
Then highlight

******* easy :p

The yellow contrast would look great on just marine torsos after googling that chapter. Pick the edges with a drybrush to highlight and make sure to not let it pool because it can go orange.

My mate bought the whole kit of new paints, will let you know how he likes it

Friend of mine bought the contrast paints and is getting back in to painting after 20 years.

Im lazy. My crap paintwork from 20 years ago is staying. I probably should at least dry brush them but Im hopeless.

Maybe one day.

I can make out the wave serpent and farseer; what else were you running?
Full list was

Autarch with Wings
2 * Farseers
Warlock Conclave
Wraithlord
War Walker
Wave Serpent
Weapons Platform
2 * Guardians
Rangers
Striking Scorpions
Swooping Hawks

1500 points

(This was just an eBay buy, so there was no list construction on my behalf).

The Avatar is awesome vs anything with multiple wounds but can get tar pitted vs fodder.

First time using the full list and I didn't use it well at all. I should have just sat and unloaded everything on the Ork mob of 30 Boyz using the Scorpions / Hawks as fodder to slow there advance.

But instead I split it all out trying to get objective markers.

Also I was trying to take out his warboss / wierd boy with Mind War not knowing Orks Ld is 30 when next to a mob of 30 Boyz.

Full list was

Autarch with Wings
2 * Farseers
Warlock Conclave
Wraithlord
War Walker
Wave Serpent
Weapons Platform
2 * Guardians
Rangers
Striking Scorpions
Swooping Hawks

1500 points

(This was just an eBay buy, so there was no list construction on my behalf).

The Avatar is awesome vs anything with multiple wounds but can get tar pitted vs fodder.

First time using the full list and I didn't use it well at all. I should have just sat and unloaded everything on the Ork mob of 30 Boyz using the Scorpions / Hawks as fodder to slow there advance.

But instead I split it all out trying to get objective markers.

Also I was trying to take out his warboss / wierd boy with Mind War not knowing Orks Ld is 30 when next to a mob of 30 Boyz.
Are you going to add to the purchase? If so what direction are you thinking of heading in?

Are you going to add to the purchase? If so what direction are you thinking of heading in?
Ha, you always want to add more!
I've got a chaos army that I'm got to finish and like 200 space marines that I want to finish first.
There has been postings on gumtree for a while of reapers / banshees / Hawks / Scorpions that I've been resisting.

To run it better I'll need to pad the grunt options out. Another guardian squad, some dire avengers etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back