Warhammer 40K

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got back into restarting doing some modelling today.
Not under any quarantine yet though. Gotta courier s**t around Melbourne, someones gotta do it.
Sling that loo roll, bruvva.

Im taking the opportunity to start a new project that I have wanted to for years. A Napoleonic French Imperial Guard! The staggering amount of white to paint is all thats put me off.

The generic Guardsman was my first colour test, which I was quite pleased with so continued it with the Taurox gunner. The driver I forgot to get a shot of before gluing him in. IMG_20200411_171533_772.jpeg IMG_20200403_130256_381.jpeg 1587117934485.jpeg

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im taking the opportunity to start a new project that I have wanted to for years. A Napoleonic French Imperial Guard! The staggering amount of white to paint is all thats put me off.

The generic Guardsman was my first colour test, which I was quite pleased with so continued it with the Taurox gunner. The driver I forgot to get a shot of before gluing him in. View attachment 859611View attachment 859613View attachment 859614

What do you wash your whites with?

What do you wash your whites with?
The full recipe for all the white you see is:
Base: 4-5 very thin coats of Wraithbone, or at least until the colour reaches saturation
Wash: Seraphim Sepia
Layer: White Scar over all the raised sections of trouser.

The key thing I think as with painting anything white is to achieve full saturation on the base coat with as many very thin coats as it takes. They MUST be thinner than usual, almost like water.

I dont know where your knowledge and skill is at so disregard all that if its not useful. Someone might find it useful hopefully.

Base: 4-5 very thin coats of Wraithbone, or at least until the colour reaches saturation

The key thing I think as with painting anything white is to achieve full saturation on the base coat with as many very thin coats as it takes. They MUST be thinner than usual, almost like water.

I dont know where your knowledge and skill is at so disregard all that if its not useful. Someone might find it useful hopefully.

No all good. My paints are never thin enough. Too impatient.

If I'm painting up from a dark colour, say black / dark blue, I'll do two / three layers of dark grey (or maybe light grey if it's not completely black), then layers of of white.

So dark base > dark grey > light grey > white

I also do the above first in I'm painting a light colour like orange or yellow.

It's time consuming but you'll notice the difference

Last edited:
Basically you just paint thin layers until you can't see the previous colour.
Think that was two light grey, six off white, three orange.
Always make sure you wait for the paint to fully dry before another coat. It only take a minute or two

Remove this Banner Ad

Back