Warne calls S.Waugh "Most selfish" cricketer he's played with

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...m/news-story/129d1599e51bd655f87286ed83354046

SHANE Warne has detailed the reasons behind his dislike for his former captain and friend Steve Waugh, tracing it back to a fateful incident 17 years ago.

In the process, Warne labelled Waugh as “the most selfish cricketer I’ve played with”, an accusation levelled at the leg-spin legend throughout his career and even more feverishly since he retired.

The comments came from Warne while he was appearing on Channel Ten’s I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here program, with the episode in question to go to air on Tuesday night.

“There’s a lot of reasons I don’t like Steve Waugh ... because he’s the most selfish cricketer I’ve played with,” Warne said.

He went on to detail how the acrimony between the pair began on the 1999 tour of West Indies, when Warne - himself part of the selection panel in his role as vice-captain - was dropped, with Waugh breaking the news to him.

Some have argued bad blood between the pair began several months earlier when Waugh beat Warne to the captaincy post vacated by Mark Taylor, but Australia’s greatest Test wicket-taker explained that it was in the Caribbean that their relationship deteriorated beyond the point of return.

I've said it before and I'll say it again Shane Warne is a pathetic man. Can't stand anyone who doesn't blow smoke up his ass. Thankful this embarrassment never was able to call himself Australian test captain.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

It's a pretty ordinary rant. He says the main reason he dislikes Waugh is because he was (bluntly) dropped for the final test in West Indies in 1999. Doesn't really add much to the story apart from that, then Fev asks "Did you win or lose?" "Yeah, um we won." "So he would have been justified." "That's right."

I definitely think Steve Waugh was selfish is some respects (retiring at the start of the summer when India came down, made it all about him) but Warney is a narcissist an massive attention seeker.

Warne never got over the fact that Waugh was made captain over him. Warne had proven time and time again he would not have been a good captain, that he did not have the temperament for it but in Warne's mind, and only Warne's mind, he would have made a great captain.

Look I'll kindly disagree, I think Warne is the greatest captain Australia never had, and I think he's proven that later in his career, taking a bunch of nobody's at Rajistan to the IPL title just one example.

Warnie has problems, there's no glossing over the fact, but his cricketing brain is immense, his desire to win and ability to lift those around him largely unparalleled in Aus cricket since AB.

Ironically, similar to a disgraced AFL coach in recent years, it's the same single-minded vanity, a total and unmovable belief in his own ability, that made Warne the success he was, as a player and leader.

Last edited:
Look I'll kindly disagree, I think Warne is the greatest captain Australia never had, and I think he's proven that later in his career, taking a bunch of nobody's at Rajistan to the IPL title just one example.

Warnie has problems, there's no glossing over the fact, but his cricketing brain is immense, his desire to win and ability to lift those around him largely unparalleled in Aus cricket since AB.

Ironically, similar to a disgraced AFL coach in recent years, it's the same single-minded vanity, a total and uneaverable belief in his own ability, that made Warne the success he was, as a player and leader.

Maybe he did have a good cricketing brain, I am not disputing that (the rest of his brain was mush though) but his off field antics meant he was never going to be captain. Plus things like this shows Warne holds grudges and that is not something you want from the captain of the Australian test team.

How is it 'selfish' to make a hard call on the out of form Warne for the sake of the team? It's the opposite of selfish, actually.

The article goes on to quote Waugh on the matter, which is worth pasting here.

Waugh:
"I lost a great friend but gained fortitude from the experience and learnt categorically that knowing what is right and acting on it are two different things," Waugh wrote.

"One day, I hope Shane comes to terms with the fact it wasn't about me not trusting his immense skill and innate love for the big occasion, but rather a common-sense decision based on facts and the key ingredients every leader must trust and rely on 'gut instinct'."

That Warne can't see that the decision needed to be made is actually testament to his selfishness.

Last edited:
Good on Steve Waugh for having the guts as captain to drop a player with a big name who was not performing.

I'll just make one more point before I Carbonaro the thread - yep, Waugh did do the right thing, making the kind of hard decision Aus selection has really lacked since arguably the middle of the Ponting era.

And although Warne would likely never admit it, being dropped made a huge difference to his career. It turned him around; people forget six weeks after that test Warne bowled us to victory in a world cup final.

Warney needed a wake up call and Australia needed him to have one.

But you wouldn't hear that from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he did have a good cricketing brain, I am not disputing that (the rest of his brain was mush though) but his off field antics meant he was never going to be captain. Plus things like this shows Warne holds grudges and that is not something you want from the captain of the Australian test team.

Actually I think someone holding grudges is exactly who you want in charge of your team. Again I hark back to captain grumpy AB; compare that to the 05' Ashes when they got all matey with the Poms and lost.

Look, I agree with you Warne ruined his captaincy chances with his shenanigans and the ACB understandably saw it as a reputational issue.

But from a pure cricketing and captaincy standpoint, Warne was perfect. He just has problems, like all of us.

But you wouldn't hear that from him.

When he smashed a kid's camera for photographing him smoking when he was being sponsored by Nicorette, it was the kid's fault.

When he was found with a diuretic in his system, it was his Mum's fault.

When his charitable foundation is shown to not actually pass on much money to the kids who need it, it was the media's fault.

When he was dropped for poor form in the Windies, it was the captain's fault.

When he sledged a teammate two tests into his career, it was Joe the Cameraman's fault.

Poor Warney.

When he smashed a kid's camera for photographing him smoking when he was being sponsored by Nicorette, it was the kid's fault.

When his charitable foundation is shown to not actually pass on much money to the kids who need it, it was the media's fault.

When he sledged a teammate two tests into his career, it was Joe the Cameraman's fault.

Poor Warney.

and when he texted every woman who looked in his vague direction thinking they wanted to have sex with him.

Poor Warney.

Everything you said here is 100% true. Again, sounds just like the messiah of Essendon.

It's an attitude that can help you win you a lot of games of sport, but not a lot of friends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back