Warne calls S.Waugh "Most selfish" cricketer he's played with

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, reading back through this thread, I'd completely forgotten about Warne's top 50 players.

My goodness. Darren Lehmann ahead of Steve Waugh *shakes head*

Replace top 50 players with top 50 mates and it will all make sense.
*, whom has not played on a cricket side or football side where one or two might play together but socially on different wavelengths.

Geez, reading back through this thread, I'd completely forgotten about Warne's top 50 players.

My goodness. Darren Lehmann ahead of Steve Waugh *shakes head*
That's more of a 'what if' selection. From memory he had Jamie Siddons in there too, who never played a test and maybe a single odi game. I still think if Lehmann was treated fairly by the selectors/coach when he was younger he would have had a sensational test career. Waugh obviously was gutsy and better all round. Lehmann was a more talented batsmen, pure skill with the blade, I mean.

That's more of a 'what if' selection. From memory he had Jamie Siddons in there too, who never played a test and maybe a single odi game. I still think if Lehmann was treated fairly by the selectors/coach when he was younger he would have had a sensational test career. Waugh obviously was gutsy and better all round. Lehmann was a more talented batsmen, pure skill with the blade, I mean.

In the case of Boof his ranking may have been based on "Who would join me for a gasper behind the sheds during the tea break since AB retired".

I don't think Warne ever forgave Waugh for getting the captaincy over him. It was shown to be a good call as Waugh took a very good team and made it unbeatable, and Warne is so undisciplined he went through scandal after scandal after scandal. Warne was also far too vain and far too obsessed with himself to ever be a good captain.
Warne wasn't in the frame when Steve Waugh was made Captain. Warne, Ponting and Gilchrist were all interviewed by the board for the job at the board's request after Steve Waugh retired / was pushed out the door. Gilchrist said he was happy to be VC but didn't want the job, Ponting presented hard as VC and then there was Warney. He went in gave it his best shot, told them what he could bring to the job and that he wanted it. Presentation finished a few questions and he started to head out the door, halfway out he turned on his heel and went back and said "just one final thing - I'll stop rooting around" turned and left the meeting.

Warne wasn't in the frame when Steve Waugh was made Captain. Warne, Ponting and Gilchrist were all interviewed by the board for the job at the board's request after Steve Waugh retired / was pushed out the door. Gilchrist said he was happy to be VC but didn't want the job, Ponting presented hard as VC and then there was Warney. He went in gave it his best shot, told them what he could bring to the job and that he wanted it. Presentation finished a few questions and he started to head out the door, halfway out he turned on his heel and went back and said "just one final thing - I'll stop rooting around" turned and left the meeting.
So this was in late 2003, I take it?

Hard to believe he was in the frame at all at the time, considering he was serving the doping ban between March 2003 and March 2004.

Hard to believe he was in the frame at all at the time, considering he was serving the doping ban between March 2003 and March 2004.

Didn't Steve get sacked as ODI captain after the 01/02 VB series? I reckon it was after that cause surely Ponting winning the VB Series in 02/03 and a few series would have sealed it.

Warnie is the type of A-grade flog the Murdoche press loves to push upon us as representative of a cultural doyen.

Last edited:
Warnie must be loooooving having Howie in the commentary box lol. Never seen a brown-noser quite like Howie. Probably gets warnie cups of tea and coffee etc all day

He's painful. At least with ex-players in the box, they can give occasional good insight into areas where they excelled. If you're not bringing that, at least be a professional commentator, ie Jason Bennett. This sycophantic campaigner is nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's painful. At least with ex-players in the box, they can give occasional good insight into areas where they excelled. If you're not bringing that, at least be a professional commentator, ie Jason Bennett. This sycophantic campaigner is nothing.
Wonder if he gets down on his hands and knees and lets warnie rest his feet on his back towards the end of the day? Basically warnes butler now

People do realise Steve Waugh is a campaigner as well? Look at the way he created the myth of the baggy green and recreated that scene at Gallipoli with the test squad; it was cringeworthy and revealed a severe lack of perspective. No surprise idiots like Hayden and Langer just loved it.

Have it on good authority that on one occasion after being. dropped from the Australian side that he told his replacement he was effectively keeping his position warm (in harsher words).

Just a humourless, bland man that seems to be a sacred cow in Australian cricket circles because he was a great player.

I always felt Steve Waugh was the the first laid brick, so to speak, in our rise back to the top. Border had always been there but in a sinking ship. Waugh was different, better. He was the beginning. He may have been a selfish cricketer but no way was he the 'most' selfish. Bevan rescued us a lot in ODI's but he played for the 'red ink' so many times. Damien Martyn was another 'red inker' in ODI's. Hitting out for the team wasn't high on those two players priority list. Don't get me wrong, they were very effective players, just sayin is all!

I always felt Steve Waugh was the the first laid brick, so to speak, in our rise back to the top. Border had always been there but in a sinking ship. Waugh was different, better. He was the beginning. He may have been a selfish cricketer but no way was he the 'most' selfish. Bevan rescued us a lot in ODI's but he played for the 'red ink' so many times. Damien Martyn was another 'red inker' in ODI's. Hitting out for the team wasn't high on those two players priority list. Don't get me wrong, they were very effective players, just sayin is all!

D. Boon and D. Jones.

Both came along and provided world class batting to Border well before Waugh did.

Jones averaged 46 and played his last game before Waugh had even permanently established himself in the side as a batsman (he had a breakthrough in the 89 Ashes but didn’t follow through in it until the same series 4 years later).
There was a time well before 95 when Waugh started to find a place in ‘best batsman in the world’ debates where Boon himself probably held that title. 3 centuries in a home summer against India, 3 in an away Ashes, centuries against the West Indies away, 500 runs in a series against walsh and Ambrose and bishop in 92-93, big runs against SA in SA, century away against Pakistan, even in his last series against Sri Lanka on their ‘Kalu and Jayasuriya introduction to the world’ tour he averaged over 50.

Waugh took Australia to the top, but make no mistake, it was the likes of Boon, Jones, and even Taylor who laid the foundations of it

People do realise Steve Waugh is a campaigner as well? Look at the way he created the myth of the baggy green and recreated that scene at Gallipoli with the test squad; it was cringeworthy and revealed a severe lack of perspective. No surprise idiots like Hayden and Langer just loved it.

Have it on good authority that on one occasion after being. dropped from the Australian side that he told his replacement he was effectively keeping his position warm (in harsher words).

Just a humourless, bland man that seems to be a sacred cow in Australian cricket circles because he was a great player.

Plenty of people don't like waugh and if waugh was spending half his post test career whinging about everybody who did him wrong he would have even more detractors.

Waugh vs Warne is a one sided fight carried on by a bitter man child. It's the same thing repeated every few years and it's boring and childish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back