Warne calls S.Waugh "Most selfish" cricketer he's played with

Remove this Banner Ad

Warnie is the cricket equivalent of Wayne Carey - scary good at the sport but a terrible human being. His book and claims have the hallmarks of a bully that is covering for his own ego. Pretty sure if he couldn't bowl - he would be that abusive drunk bloke that lives on a bar stool at the local.
Stephen Mayne of Crikey went to school with him I believe. Said that he was a bully who never read a book in his life.

Has a jab every now and again.

W
Stephen Mayne of Crikey went to school with him I believe. Said that he was a bully who never read a book in his life.

Has a jab every now and again.

When Rita Panahi agrees with you, you know you've said something stupid.

Forgive the self quote, but I have to raise this because it still looks every bit as ridiculous now as it did then.

Warne rated Tim May as a better cricketer than Allan Donald. Tim ******* May, and Allan ******* Donald.

I have tears of laughter in my eyes just thinking about it.

Allan Donald (South Africa)
Test matches 72
Wickets 330 at 22.25
Like Waqar Younis yesterday, he may be a bit lower than people expect. When conditions were in his favour, he was dangerous, without question, but there were times when a few of us wondered if his head dropped too soon if things were not going his way. He was quick, but, at times, he struggled to impose himself on the opposition.

Test matches 72
Wickets 330 at 22.25
Like Waqar Younis yesterday, he may be a bit lower than people expect. When conditions were in his favour, he was dangerous, without question, but there were times when a few of us wondered if his head dropped too soon if things were not going his way. He was quick, but, at times, he struggled to impose himself on the opposition.
Where’s Kumar Sangakkara?

Where’s Kumar Sangakkara?

In fairness this was made in 2007.

1. Sachin Tendulkar (India)
2. Brian Lara (West Indies)
3. Curtly Ambrose (West Indies)
4. Allan Border (Australia)
5. Glenn McGrath (Australia)
6. Wasim Akram (Pakistan)
7. Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
8. Ricky Ponting (Australia)
9. Mark Taylor (Australia)
10. Ian Healy (Australia)
11. Courtney Walsh (West Indies)
12. Mark Waugh (Australia)
13. Anil Kumble (India)
14. Rahul Dravid (India)
15. Graham Gooch (England)
16. Andrew Flintoff (England)
17. Matthew Hayden (Australia)
18. Merv Hughes (Australia)
19. Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka)
20. Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
21. David Boon (Australia)
22. Martin Crowe (New Zealand)
23. Stephen Fleming (New Zealand)
24. Brett Lee (Australia)
25. Darren Lehmann (Australia)
26. Steve Waugh (Australia)
27. Jacques Kallis (South Africa)/Shaun Pollock (South Africa)
28. Saeed Anwar (Pakistan)/Mohammad Yousuf (Pakistan)
29. Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan)/Craig McDermott (Australia)
30. Kevin Pietersen (Australia)
31. Tim May (Australia)
32. Robin Smith (England)
33. Allan Donald (South Africa)
34. Bruce Reid (Australia)
34. Michael Vaughan (England)
36. Andy Flower (Zimbabwe)
37. Stephen Harmison (England)
38. Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka)
39. Stuart MacGill (Australia)
40. Kapil Dev (India)
41. Justin Langer (Australia)
42. Ravi Shastri (India)
43. Michael Atherton (England)
44. Alec Stewart (England)
45. Waqar Younis (Pakistan)
46. Dilip Vengsarkar (India)
47. Chris Cairns (New Zealand)
48. Brian McMillan (South Africa)
49. Darren Berry (Australia)
50. Jamie Siddons (Australia)

And this is what he had to say about Steve Waugh

Test matches 72
Wickets 330 at 22.25

lol just talk to Athers about the last part.

In fairness this was made in 2007.

1. Sachin Tendulkar (India)
2. Brian Lara (West Indies)
3. Curtly Ambrose (West Indies)
4. Allan Border (Australia)
5. Glenn McGrath (Australia)
6. Wasim Akram (Pakistan)
7. Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
8. Ricky Ponting (Australia)
9. Mark Taylor (Australia)
10. Ian Healy (Australia)
11. Courtney Walsh (West Indies)
12. Mark Waugh (Australia)
13. Anil Kumble (India)
14. Rahul Dravid (India)
15. Graham Gooch (England)
16. Andrew Flintoff (England)
17. Matthew Hayden (Australia)
18. Merv Hughes (Australia)
19. Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka)
20. Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
21. David Boon (Australia)
22. Martin Crowe (New Zealand)
23. Stephen Fleming (New Zealand)
24. Brett Lee (Australia)
25. Darren Lehmann (Australia)
26. Steve Waugh (Australia)
27. Jacques Kallis (South Africa)/Shaun Pollock (South Africa)
28. Saeed Anwar (Pakistan)/Mohammad Yousuf (Pakistan)
29. Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan)/Craig McDermott (Australia)
30. Kevin Pietersen (Australia)
31. Tim May (Australia)
32. Robin Smith (England)
33. Allan Donald (South Africa)
34. Bruce Reid (Australia)
34. Michael Vaughan (England)
36. Andy Flower (Zimbabwe)
37. Stephen Harmison (England)
38. Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka)
39. Stuart MacGill (Australia)
40. Kapil Dev (India)
41. Justin Langer (Australia)
42. Ravi Shastri (India)
43. Michael Atherton (England)
44. Alec Stewart (England)
45. Waqar Younis (Pakistan)
46. Dilip Vengsarkar (India)
47. Chris Cairns (New Zealand)
48. Brian McMillan (South Africa)
49. Darren Berry (Australia)
50. Jamie Siddons (Australia)

And this is what he had to say about Steve Waugh
Interesting he put Murali so high when you would think he would be bitter about him the most. In saying that even though he threw out a lot of digs against his throwing they generally looked pretty friendly when you seen them run into each other.

Wait, no VVS in this list?

2001 never happened?

"Root unmoved by Warne’s call for Buttler to be England Test captain"

Hahahhaha classic Warney

Test matches 72
Wickets 330 at 22.25

Rofl.

‘When conditions were in his favour.’
He averaged under 30 in every nation he set foot in bar Pakistan..... where he averaged 32 in two tests.

Warne = f***stick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vengsarkar made 158 runs at 17.55 in the only series Warne played against him, they must have been some Quineyesque innings.

I know damn well that if I ever make a Top 50 cricketers list, Rob Quiney would be #1 just for that breahtaking 9. Truly, a more magnificent 9 could not be envisioned.

:D :drunk:

And Warne only played one test didn’t he?
Two Sydney and Adelaide, Azhar made a beautiful hundred for India in the second innings of the Adelaide Test, that was also the game AB spat the dummy and refused to field on the last morning because Geoff Marsh had been dropped for Perth.

Two Sydney and Adelaide, Azhar made a beautiful hundred for India in the second innings of the Adelaide Test, that was also the game AB spat the dummy and refused to field on the last morning because Geoff Marsh had been dropped for Perth.

I remember the Azhar hundred, I can even remember the grille on his helmet! Vaguely recall the border carry on though at that stage it was hard to make a case for keeping Marsh in the side

Jamie Siddons (Victoria)
First-class matches 160
Runs 11,587 at 44.91
Catches 206
As an all-round fielder, with a rocket arm, I rank him second behind Mark Waugh among Australians I have seen. He is recognised as one of our best batsmen not to have played Test cricket. I thought he was especially good against spin and have fond memories as he was in the Victoria team when I made my debut.

Darren Berry (Victoria)
First-class matches 153
Runs 4,273 at 21.58
Catches 552
Stumpings 51
Another Victorian to miss out on Test cricket. He is the purest wicketkeeper I have seen. The ball sounded extra-soft in his gloves. His catching was so reliable that first slip could stand wider and the cordon covered more ground. He once stumped David Boon down the leg side standing up to Paul Reiffel – a brilliantly executed plan.
Brian McMillan (South Africa)
Test matches 38
Runs 1,968 at 39.36
Wickets 75 at 33.82
For a big fellow, he did not hit the ball as hard as you would expect, but he could be a sharp bowler and a wonderful slip fielder. It helped that his hands were just enormous. He was a very tough guy to play against, especially when you were meeting him for the first time, but he was also an enjoyable opponent.
Chris Cairns (New Zealand)
Test matches 62
Runs 3,320 at 33.53
Wickets 218 at 29.40
He played the most incredible shot off my bowling during a game in Hamilton. Placing his left leg into the rough, he swivelled to face square leg and hit the turning ball over that area for a huge six. At one stage, he was probably the best all-rounder in the world, despite struggling with injuries.
Dilip Vengsarkar (India)
Test matches 116
Runs 6,868 at 42.13
The India side were starting to change in my early days with Australia, but Vengsarkar remained a very stylish, elegant batsman. In our dressing-room, he was held in the highest regard by those who saw him at his best in the Eighties. I’ve taken into account his record all over the world, including three hundreds at Lord’s.
Waqar Younis (Pakistan)
Test matches 87
Runs 1,010 at 10.20
Wickets 373 at 23.56
People may be surprised that Waqar doesn’t figure higher. His stats are excellent, but I always thought that he fed off Wasim Akram at the other end. Having said that, he was a fine one-day bowler with a devastating, fast yorker at the death. The pair of them formed a great new-ball partnership through the Nineties.
Alec Stewart (England)
Test matches 133
Runs 8,483 at 39.54
Catches 263
Stumpings 14
He did not have a great record against Australia, but I always admired Alec for his versatility. Over his career, he had to adjust from being a batsman to a batsman-keeper, then play as an opener, No 3 or in the middle order. From what I can gather, his preparation was always spot on.
Michael Atherton
Test matches 115
Runs 7,728 at 37.69
In a funny way I enjoyed watching him bat because he was one of the old school who just liked to grind down the opposition. At times, he held England together when they were going through a rough period. His concentration was incredible and I always enjoyed talking cricket with him. He has a good understanding of the game.
Ravi Shastri (India)
Test matches 80
Runs 3,830 at 35.79
Wickets 151 at 40.96.
Test cricket seemed impossibly hard when Ravi was belting a double hundred on my debut for Australia. By the time I had him caught – at deep cover, which tells its own story – I didn’t know where my second game would come from. He was a very effective player and a handy spin bowler for a captain to have up his sleeve.
Justin Langer (Australia)
Test matches 105
Runs 7,696 at 45.27
So many people wrote him off and there were more talented batsmen who did not play as often for Australia. But you need more than talent to succeed and “Alfie” worked his guts out to become the best player he could be. By the end, he had scored 23 Test hundreds and became an inspiration to youngsters everywhere.

Kapil Dev (India)
Test matches 131
Runs 5,248 at 31.05
Wickets 434 at 29.64
He was the bowler I first faced in Test cricket – it took me 27 minutes to get off the mark. Although his Test career was coming to the end by then, he still had a very good action and a dangerous outswinger. He also remained an explosive batsman. Definitely one of the great India players. I was pleased that our paths just crossed.

Stuart MacGill (Australia)
Test matches 40
Wickets 198 at 27.20
Has always put some serious rage on the ball and bowls one of the most violent leg breaks in the game as well as an effective googly. He sees himself purely as a wicket-taker, with a good strike-rate. Over the next few years, he should get a good run in international cricket while our younger spin bowlers begin to come through.

Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka)
Test matches 107
Runs 6,791 at 40.42
Wickets 96 at 34.17
One of the greatest one-day players in the game, whose aggression in the opening overs of matches during the 1996 World Cup represented a serious development. For a small man, he is very powerful and his left-arm spin is underestimated. He has been a good foil for Muttiah Muralitharan.

Stephen Harmison (England)
Test matches 54
Wickets 205 at 30.82
On his day, he is one of the most awkward bowlers in the world. I hope he can overcome his injuries to lead the England attack again. He has returned some great figures and, although he wasn’t the leading wicket-taker in the 2005 Ashes, he set the tone with his bowling in the initial stages at Lord’s.

Andy Flower (Zimbabwe)
Test matches 63
Runs 4,794 at 51.54
Catches 151
Stumpings 9
He was a forerunner to Adam Gilchrist as a left-handed wicketkeeper, who also scored hundreds on a regular basis – 12 in Test matches. Unlike Gilchrist, he did not have great players to lay the foundations. A good player of spin, he must be the best player to have represented Zimbabwe.

Michael Vaughan (England)
Test matches 70
Runs 5,141 at 43.94
He will always be remembered as the man who captained England to the Ashes in 2005, but I also think of his three hundreds in the 2002-03 series. He was an effective player, who also looked very stylish on our quicker pitches. I also admire the courage he has shown to come back from his serious knee injuries.

Bruce Reid (Australia)
Test matches 27
Wickets 113 at 24.63
But for injuries, which curtailed his career, his reputation would be even higher. On song, he was just about the best there has been. He had good pace, remarkable control and generated bounce and movement. Being tall and left-arm made him very difficult to face. Nowadays, he is one of the leading bowling coaches.

Test matches 72
Wickets 330 at 22.25

Robin Smith (England)
Test matches 62
Runs 4,236 at 43.67
He always put England’s interests before his own, batting wherever they asked in the order and still managing to average in the mid40s over a Test career that should have gone on longer. He could be a destructive player of fast bowling and nobody cut more fiercely. He is also the nicest person I have met in 20 years of cricket.

Tim May (Australia)
Test matches 24
Wickets 75 at 34.74

I always thought he was a fantastic guy to have bowling with me in tandem at the other end. For an off spinner, he had the perfect, traditional, legitimate side-on action and his role in the 1993 Ashes win has been badly overlooked. He was one of our key players and gave me a lot of help in my first series against England.

Kevin Pietersen (England)
Test matches 30
Runs 2,898 at 52.69
If I do this in a couple of years, he will be higher, but it is hard to push him above players who have performed over longer periods. Even before his England debut, I said that he had that X-factor. His hits to unusual areas and his 158 at the Oval in 2005 underlines his confidence.

Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan)
Test matches 43
Wickets 169 at 25.30 and
Craig McDermott (Australia)
Test matches 71
Wickets 291 at 28.63
Different bowlers, but not a pair I could separate. Shoaib has had controversy on and off the field but, on his day, he is the fastest bowler in the world and his action makes him hard to pick up. He is great to watch and brings people to the game. McDermott was excellent when conditions were right, but probably needed those things to be in his favour more than some others.

Saeed Anwar (Pakistan)
Test matches 55
Runs 4,052 at 45.52 and
Mohammad Yousuf (Pakistan)
Test matches 75
Runs 6,553 at 56.00
Saeed could adapt to any conditions and was equally good against all bowling. He was not one of those who began to struggle if the spinner came on early and looked to be positive as his Plan A against all attacks. Yousuf is up there with him because of his form over the past two years. He is a top-class off-side player with great placement and an ideal temperament for any situation.

Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
Test matches 107
Runs 8,430 at 55.09
Wickets 213 at 31.71 and
Shaun Pollock (South Africa)
Test matches 107
Wickets 416 at 23.19
Runs 3,781 at 32.31
Kallis has an impeccable technique and is an excellent all-round player but, of late, his batting seems to have become slower and he wants to let people bat around him. Pollock has been the South African Glenn McGrath, just not quite as successful, but he is a destructive lower-order batsman who has been really effective in both formats.

Steve Waugh (Australia)
Test matches 168
Runs 10,927 at 51.06
Catches 112
This may raise a few eyebrows. Yes, he scored a lot of runs, but to me he was a match-saver rather than a match-winner. That is why he is not higher. There were also times when he struggled against the short ball. But he had good all-round capabilities and was always reliable in the gully. Mark Taylor handed him a wonderful team.

Darren Lehmann (Australia)
Test matches 27
Runs 1,798 at 44.95
“Boof” was one of the hardest batsmen for spinners because he was unorthodox and had a wonderfully light touch. He had the same qualities as Brian Lara in his pomp, hitting brilliantly square of the wicket, and improvised brilliantly in one-day cricket. It was a shame that he did not play more Tests. Also a handy left-arm pie-thrower.

Brett Lee (Australia)
Test matches 59
Wickets 231 at 31.60
One of those bowlers we always want in our side because he offers something extra. He can blast away lower orders with his pace. After bursting on to the scene he had a couple of setbacks, but he has been around long enough now to know his own game, his line and length is more consistent and he has developed a really good outswinger.

Stephen Fleming (New Zealand)
Test matches 104
Runs 6,620 at 39.64
Catches 159
Definitely the best captain I have played against, which is why he is in the 20s rather than the 40s. His understanding of tactics and plans are second to none, and he has the temperament to stay calm when things are going against him. Also a classy left-handed batsman and excellent slip fielder.

Martin Crowe (New Zealand)
Test matches 77
Runs 5,444 at 45.36
“Flem” will bristle at ranking below Crowe –– but 23 is my favourite number so he can’t take it the wrong way. I played against Crowe early in my career and did not bowl to many more elegant batsmen in the years after he retired. He picked up length early and seemed to have all the shots, allowing him to score quickly.

David Boon (Australia)
Test matches 107
Runs 7,422 at 43.65
Catches 99
The “keg on legs” was a wonderful player, a rock-solid citizen and outstanding fielder at bat-pad. Batting at No 3 against some of those bowling attacks in the Eighties was perhaps the toughest job in the game and nobody ever questioned his bravery. They would have received very short shrift from anyone in our dressing-room.

Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
Test matches 90 Runs 5,353 at 48.66 Catches 344 Stumpings 37

That every country is trying to find an Adam Gilchrist shows his impact. Wicketkeepers now have to bat as well. If we were ever under the pump he could turn around the situation by counter-attacking and he has settled one-day games in the first hour. He is still a batsman-keeper rather than the other way round, but his keeping is improving.

Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka)
Test matches 93 Runs 6,361 at 42.97

At team meetings we would spend more time talking about Aravinda than the rest of the Sri Lanka batsmen — but our plans rarely came off. He was sheer class, a lovely strokemaker and his hundred in the 1996 World Cup final ranks among the best one-day innings. His off spin was also underrated, especially in his home country.

Merv Hughes (Australia)
Test matches 53 Wickets 212 at 28.38

Nobody in our dressing-room will be surprised that Merv is so high. For all the clowning, the moustache and his physique, he was a thoughtful bowler with incredible mental strength. However flat the pitch or well-set the batsmen, you could always throw him the ball. His resilience to play through injuries set him apart.

Matthew Hayden (Australia)
Test matches 89 Runs 7,739 at 53.00

There is something individually special about most of the top 20.

In Hayden’s case it is his refusal to give up after struggling in his first go at Test cricket. He kept fighting for his spot, scored heavily in domestic cricket and the tour to India in 2001 was a breakthrough. Since then he has been a phenomenal run-scorer and is now recognised as one of the best openers Australia have had.

Andrew Flintoff (England)
Test matches 67 Runs 3,381 at 32.50 Wickets 197 at 32.02

I don’t mean this in a disrespectful way to Michael Vaughan, but it was “Fred” who carried England through the 2005 Ashes with his batting, bowling and sheer presence. He was great for the game in Australia as well as England; our crowds were desperate to see him play in the series last winter.

He is still the best all-rounder in the world and I really hope he can now put his injuries behind him and enjoy a clear run.

Graham Gooch (England)
Test matches 118 Runs 8,900 at 42.58

Professional in every sense of the word, Gooch was the toughest opponent from England I faced, which is remarkable given that he had been playing Test cricket for 18 years by the time my first Ashes series came around in 1993. Even then he was the wicket we most wanted. When I called him “Mr Gooch” he thought I was taking the mickey. I wasn’t; it was out of respect.

Rahul Dravid (India)
Test matches 112 Runs 9,492 at 56.50

Dravid grew in my estimation the longer I played Test cricket. He will not destroy you like a few batsmen lower in my list, but he can grind you down. As a bowler you know that once he is in, you need to produce a very good ball. That sounds obvious, but he is so strong technically that he makes fewer mistakes than other batsmen. And he should have captained India far earlier than he did.

Anil Kumble (India)
Test matches 118 Wickets 566 at 28.73

I can empathise with Kumble as a wrist-spin bowler. He is a real fighter, a bloke who will give you nothing on the field but has always been a true gentleman off it. With his height and bounce he comes into his own when the pitch is up and down, but he adapts well to most conditions. To score a maiden Test hundred in his 118th game was amazing; I wish that I’d matched that.

Mark Waugh (Australia)
Test matches 128 Runs 8,029 at 41.81

Whether he was batting, standing at slip or in the outfield, everything about this guy was graceful. Of all our great batsmen, he was my favourite to watch. The key was his timing and rhythm. He and Darren Lehmann have been the best Australian players of spin in my time. “Junior” had so much talent; he could bowl fast or really spin an off break. A good team man.

Courtney Walsh (West Indies)
Test matches 132 Wickets 519 at 24.44

He began his career at a time when West Indies could pick from seven or eight genuinely world-class fast bowlers and ended as their stock and strike man in one. For a paceman to pass 500 Test wickets is an incredible achievement given the rigours of the game. He gave you very little to hit and also had a very quick ball when he decided to use it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back