Warne calls S.Waugh "Most selfish" cricketer he's played with

Remove this Banner Ad

Magill had that round-arm action that made his bowling more prone to a slinging effect, down the leg side.
Macgill was a 'typical' leggie, you bring him on to get wickets, you don't expect to bowl a tight line. Warne was beyond what a leggie was supposed, I did mention Warnes control in my post. Macgill could spin the ball more than the post surgery Warne.

Everybody knows MacGill was good, seemingly the only thing forgotten about him is the amount of junk he bowled.
Bit harsh. Was an old-school leggie, relied on tossing it up, ripping it a mile and tempting the batsman.

As a result used to give away a boundary ball an over, but that was pretty accepted for legspinners til Warne came along.

Junior was a fellow 'Julio'; Whereas Tugga was a 'Nerd'.
The only real cricket diary worth reading
Warwicktodd.jpg

Interesting to note that Bill O'Reilly has A better bowling Average of runs per wicket than Warne does…..Some 3 runs better almost.

Alan Davidson is Ahead of McGrath in the fast bowling stakes in that same category too.
I knew a few blokes from that era that saw Davidson play, real 'cricket nuts' they were too. They used to 'wax lyrical about Davidsons late swing. I asked one of them to compare him to Akram, he coudn't really split the two. I do think Warnes rep seems to have blossomed to a remarkable degree since his retirement. As being old enough to remember Warneys whole career, in his early years, I can't imagine a better leggie ever playing the game. After his surgery, he had to use more 'gamesmanship' and work guys out over longer periods of time, he really got the most out of it that he could.

I started following cricket hard core as a kid early 80's, Steve Waugh stands out for me. Australia wasn't going that well, yeah Waugh had his failures early on but I just remember him oozing class as a cricketer, this dude seemed like a winner, yeah he had his ups and downs. When he came into the side Australia, pretty well sucked, not long after he was in, improvement came to the point where eventually they became unbeatable. I always feel, he was the beginning, the spark, that lit the match.

Their respective talents and achievements aside, with the exception of both being fierce competitors, they are/were opposites in almost all other personality traits. Waugh was a ruthless leader that demanded respect above friendships, whereas Warne valued mateship and sought adoration, lost sleep and held grudges over anyone of note who questioned or criticized him...

Having read most published captains diaries/related books and numerous player auto/biographies since Border's days it's been well known that Warne and Waugh's relationship was no different than most others in the team - until Michael Slater was dropped during the 2001 Ashes series in England. While there may have been some underlying tensions between them (Warne always considered the baggy green merely an ugly uncomfortable cap), this was the tipping point, for Warne anyway.

To avoid a long post, in summary Slater was going through a messy public divorce at the time and not handling it well. Slater's off-field and out of character behaviour during the tour included getting tattoo's, hiring a Ferrari, rarely staying in the team hotel, missing team meetings and/or training sessions and bizarrely prior to the 4th test he somehow went to the wrong ground for training.
This initially resulted in Waugh and Gilly suggesting to Slater that 'he have a break away from cricket' to get himself sorted. But when Slater told Warne of this, Warne met with Waugh and asked him not to drop him as it will just add to his issues - which was arguably a fair point.
In Slater's defense his batting average during the tour (prior to the 4th test) was no worse that Hayden or Ponting's, in fact the top orders in both teams were struggling thanks to the green tops the Poms had prepared.

Anyway, a few days prior to the 5th test, at the end of a training session the team were informed that Slater was being rested to be replaced by Langer. Warne went absolutely nuts and according to Funky Miller's recollection (many years later) Waugh and Warne almost came to blows and may have if not for a few players deliberately standing between them. NB. Waugh was the last Australian captain to also be a selector, which was revoked towards to end of his career for obvious reasons.

5th Ashes test, The Oval, Australia win the toss and bat - J Langer (who had packed his bags the week prior thinking his career over and had also arranged a short holiday in Europe with his wife before flying home) makes 102no, retries hurt, setting up Australia to declare a massive 1st innings total of 4/641 - and few days later winning the test by an innings and 25 runs and the Ashes 4-1.
Related; when Australia took the field to bowl, Warne ran out wearing his floppy wide-brim hat, defying the protocol of wearing your baggy green for at least the 1st session and as a likely protest of Slater's axing. Gilly, being smarter than he looks, must of saw this coming as he snatched the hat off Warne's head and threw him his baggy green and reportedly said; 'not today mate, not ever!'

While this moment in history spelled the end of Michael Slater's career and the start of Hayden-Langer's dominance at the top of the order, the irony of this test was, despite his nasty bust-up with Waugh, Warne still took 11 wickets and won MOM...
brilliant analysis... that is the way I knew it was and that a few players were short changed in the middle of the ructions..
ruthless is a word I love to see applied to certain situations..It means that you have not short changed yourself in the pursuit of victory...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where to put this, but this is incredible

Was hoping this thread had fired up when I read this.

Some fair burn there from el Capitan

Even later on Warne was all over Michael Clarke when he came into the team from memory

There’s an incredibly revealing line in Michael Clarke: My Story about what the team was like when Clarke first broke into international cricket in 2003.

“I don’t realise, at first, how cliquey the team actually is,” Clarke writes. He says his friendship with Warne meant others in the team automatically looked at him differently.

“I’m too starry-eyed to see it, but there are very clear groups within the team, and everyone knows whose group I am in, because he (Warne) treats me like gold, he is loyal to me and I am loyal to him.

“If I were a better politician, I might not let my happiness at being Shane Warne’s friend show so much. And as far as I can see, I belong to all the groups. They all invite me out for coffee or drinks. I do have a special relationship with Warney, but I can’t see how that could be anything but a benefit.”

Not sure where to put this, but this is incredible

Interesting additional detail, from this story: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/shane-w...e-lee-betoota-advocate-podcast-051942392.html

“I was single at the time and Warnie was single on tour,” Lee said.

“Warnie said, ‘I’ll get the best two for us — the Shane Show, the Shane Show’.

“Anyway, he lined up these two girls and we had one drink and we’re going back to their place and we’re thinking it’s all going to happen.

“Then we got there and there’s her whole extended family there and we spent the whole night signing autographs and having a bloody meal.

“I said, ‘Oh, the Shane Show, really Warnie?’

“And he goes, ‘Don’t tell the boys that!’”
Warnie was single on that tour? That must have been news to the woman he married six months earlier.

Can't quite credit you siding with a charity fraudster & known drug-cheat....Other than a great leg-spinner, there's not a single other redeeming feature about the bogan-feral.

Basically I liked to watch Warnie bowl and really couldn’t be to bothered about “Captain with the whole country hopes and dreams riding on my shoulders “ come in to bat at number 5 or 6 and bat for his average.

Anyway why would the Captain need to say that about Warnie to Lee.
Always back the harmless fun loving Aussie rules playing Vic over those sneaky NSWelshman any day.

Definitely in the Warne camp ..if there is one.

I really couldn’t be too bothered about “Captain with the whole country's hopes and dreams riding on his shoulders ;“ Coming in to bat at number 5 or 6, & batting to save the innings & turn the test match on it's head, when all the other batsmen have failed. Usually in the first innings where conditions are at their toughest.

Fixed it for you.:thumbsu:

Fixed it for you.:thumbsu:

Usually in the first innings when conditions were at there toughest ???

Surely the toughest time to bad is fourth innings.. just ask Steve

Among batsmen who've scored at least 500 fourth-innings runs - and there are 92 of them in this list - Waugh's average of 25.54 is - hold your breath - the poorest of the lot. “
How you going anyway me old Chum?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back