• Nay

Votes: 45 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Nay. The fact the Ashes has been retained means they can take a risk rather than rely on reputation. Bancroft got less grace than he got, Harris would be dropped if Warner was in any kind of form. I’d go for Harris and Bancroft or Khawaja and Bancroft. Or hell, all three and drop Wade.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm leaning towards no. The stats suggest we'll see more of the same from him sadly. He has 21 centuries to his name, a figure that shouldn't be scoffed at. I stand to be corrected on this but the only problem is all his centuries have come in two countries - Australia and South Africa.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I'm leaning towards no. The stats suggest we'll see more of the same from him sadly. He has 21 centuries to his name, a figure that shouldn't be scoffed at. I stand to be corrected on this but the only problem is all his centuries have come in two countries - Australia and South Africa.
Not quite. 15 in Australia, 3 in South Africa, 2 in Bangladesh, 1 in UAE.

Nevertheless, it's not a good spread. Crucially 0 in England where he averages a meagre 27 with the bat over a dozen tests.

I think he'll get picked for this test, but boy would he be lucky.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not quite. 15 in Australia, 3 in South Africa, 2 in Bangladesh, 1 in UAE.

Nevertheless, it's not a good spread. Crucially 0 in England where he averages a meagre 27 with the bat over a dozen tests.

I think he'll get picked for this test, but boy would he be lucky.

Thanks for the correction. For whatever reason he hasn't covered himself in glory outside of Australia. If he does play in the first test of the Aussie summer, I can see him scoring a century.

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
No from me.

Highly unlikely he tours England again and he's a walking LBW atm against Broad.

May as well give Bancroft another shot at it given he at least has time on his side. He'll probably do a slightly better job of taking the shine off the ball too.

May as well give Bancroft another shot at it given he at least has time on his side. He'll probably do a slightly better job of taking the shine off the ball too.

Fun fact: Bancroft has faced more balls this series in 4 innings than Warner has in 8.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Do I think he should be picked? No, we don't want the win here to be a one off so playing one of the younger openers to get any kind of experience will only help if they're around next time.

However I think they'll play him, you just know he's already slotted in for the First Test at home no matter what and they won't want to break up the group that's won this. I'd expect the same batting line-up with maybe Cummins swapped for Pattinson to give him a rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
Non way , should he play, just like the media got into R Ponting ( his reaction timing has slowed )
he is NOT the same player . he is 33
as an opener when reaction timing is everything
Last test century was dec 2017 in Melb

the 61 he got , in this series , included 10 overthrows

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Non way , should he play, just like the media got into R Ponting ( his reaction timing has slowed )
he is NOT the same player . he is 33
as an opener when reaction timing is everything
Last test century was dec 2017 in Melb

the 61 he got , in this series , included 10 overthrows
Dec 2017 would have been his last series before South Africa?

Last edited:

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Thanks for the correction. For whatever reason he hasn't covered himself in glory outside of Australia. If he does play in the first test of the Aussie summer, I can see him scoring a century.
When he came into the test team in 2011 we all expected him to be a bit of a flat track bully. Then he scored that ton in his second test to almost get us over the line on a tough Hobart wicket and a run a ball 180 on a spicy Perth deck which was half our runs and more than India mustered in either innings.

Needless to say the unexpected "tough track bully" didn't last and expected service resumed quickly. It was 6 years till he would make another ton in truly tough conditions - Bangladesh 2017, and there was plenty of poor series in between and since.

His three ton series in South Africa was during one of the highest scoring series ever played in South Africa, and would have been even higher if not for Mitchell Johnson.

Going so hard, so early is a truly hard way to play once the ball starts doing anything, and only occasionally do batsmen get tested in Australian conditions. An overseas batting average of 35, and English average of 27 is something that will linger on his record.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
No; he's rarely even offered a hint of permanence this series.

His 61 in difficult conditions at Headingley was laudable, but there's literally been nothing else. Broad well and truly seems to have his number, and to be fair many of the other left-handers in our side.

Bancroft doesn't have a great record against Broad either, but he's more likely to survive for longer against him than Warner is right now. Khawaja, too.

Reinstate him for the home summer.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
even before Ball tampering , WARNER was always trouble. Protected by lazy Lehman and of course NSW media
this is from his Wiki pages

"Former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe has called for a yellow-card and red-card system to be introduced to international cricket to curb Warner's "thuggish" on-field behaviour, stating that Warner was "the most juvenile cricketer I have seen on a cricket field".[143]
On 12 June 2013, Warner was dropped for Australia's second match in 2013 ICC Champions Trophy match against New Zealand following an attack on Joe Root.[144] The event happened hours after Saturday's loss to England at Edgbaston. According to the sports journalist Pat Murphy, the incident took place at 2 am at the Walkabout bar in the centre of Birmingham, UK. On 13 June 2013, Cricket Australia announced that Warner was to be fined £7,000 (AU $11,500) and would not play for his country until the first Ashes Test on 10 July 2013. Warner subsequently missed the rest of the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy and the tour matches against Somerset and Worcestershire.[145]
Warner attracted further controversy soon after. On 27 July 2013, whilst playing for Australia A against South Africa A in Pretoria he was involved in an on-field altercation with South Africa A wicket-keeper Thami Tsolekile. This was deemed serious enough for the umpires to step in twice; however, no formal complaints were made and Warner tweeted later in the day describing it as "friendly banter". Despite this, writers called into question his return to the Australia squad for the third Ashes Test against England, which seemed likely after scoring 193 in the first innings of this match.[146] He was eventually recalled.[147]
On 4 March 2018, during tea in the 1st Test in Durban, Warner was involved in an altercation with South African Wicket-keeper Quinton de Kock. De Kock had allegedly made a vulgar comment about Warner's wife Candice.[148] Warner fired back at De Kock and was forced to be restrained by teammates Usman Khawaja and Steve Smith.[149] Warner was charged with a Level 2 Offence and bringing the game to disrepute by the International Cricket Council and was given three demerit points and was fined 75% of his match fee.[150][151]
On 22 March 2018, after being dismissed in the first innings of the Third Test of that series held in Cape Town, Warner responded to baiting from a spectator which escalated into an unsavoury heated exchange as he walked to the dressing room. The spectator was subsequently ejected from the ground.[152]"

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
When is our next meaningful test series? Might as well get a farewell game and start afresh with new openers in the summer for the long term. All 4 options are as bad as each other. Personally I'd have Khawaja as the most likely to make runs but is a big meh from me. The only technically correct right hand opening option in the squad is Paine but it obviously wouldn't happen. I don't think Lab has opened at FC level but could be wrong.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I watched his 61 and it was one of the worst half centuries I've seen. Think Rory Burns with all the plays and misses. He deserves credit for hanging tough in that innings but let's not forget he's been out 4 times in 10 balls and zero runs since then.

I have loved watching Warner in Australia over the years but he must be dropped for The Oval. I still hope we go all out for winning the series and not just the urn.
Khawaja is flakey too but at least he makes 20-40 before getting out.

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
I watched his 61 and it was one of the worst half centuries I've seen. Think Rory Burns with all the plays and misses. He deserves credit for hanging tough in that innings but let's not forget he's been out 4 times in 10 balls and zero runs since then.

I have loved watching Warner in Australia over the years but he must be dropped for The Oval. I still hope we go all out for winning the series and not just the urn.
Oh my God, there are some brutal stats in this very short thread.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I'd also take a guy averaging the same but with more balls faced per innings than a guy whose exposed the middle order to the brand new ball most times he's batted.

Back