Warner for the fifth Test?

• Yay

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Nay

Votes: 45 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we stand to gain more from playing him than not, as you'd expect him to be there come the home summer. It isn't as though the alternatives are standing out either.

He just needs to go out and play some shots. With the series over, he just might do that, and if he finds touch he's obviously in the best XI. If he fails, we haven't lost much, as he's pretty much bottom of the barrel as is.

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Healy's summary that he has almost hit 'rock bottom' and so the only way to get out of this slump is to allow him to essentially thrash his way out is just so ridiculous, I don't even know where to begin.

He got straight back into the team on the back of his career record. Fair enough. What has he done since then to suggest he deserves his spot for the next Test? Nothing.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
I'd play Warner and give him a license to go out there and attack Broad. I feel that Warner's biggest strength has been his ability to put the bowlers right on the back foot from ball 1. Warner is a star when he is in form and we have to try to get him in form so i think playing him and say "ATTACK!" would be good. I'd drop Harris for Khawaja. Harris has performed better than Warner in most cases this series but he doesn't have the history of Warner. If Warner fails to make an impact then i expect him to put in some good innings between now and next test series in sheffield/warm-ups/ODI/T20 matches to earn himslef a spot. Khawaja has a very good record opening and think he could possibly find a spot there with Labuschagne taking his no.3 position.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd play Warner and give him a license to go out there and attack Broad. I feel that Warner's biggest strength has been his ability to put the bowlers right on the back foot from ball 1. Warner is a star when he is in form and we have to try to get him in form so i think playing him and say "ATTACK!" would be good. I'd drop Harris for Khawaja. Harris has performed better than Warner in most cases this series but he doesn't have the history of Warner. If Warner fails to make an impact then i expect him to put in some good innings between now and next test series in sheffield/warm-ups/ODI/T20 matches to earn himslef a spot. Khawaja has a very good record opening and think he could possibly find a spot there with Labuschagne taking his no.3 position.
I don't think the problem for Warner is that he's been trying to turn himself into a Mark Taylor and burying his natural game, it's that his commit hard to your shots and attack the ball from the get go style doesn't work in English conditions when the ball is swinging around (no real shame in that, see Matthew Hayden and Virender Sehwag's English records). He can attack if he wants but I doubt it's going to nullify the advantage Broad has had over him this series.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we stand to gain more from playing him than not, as you'd expect him to be there come the home summer. It isn't as though the alternatives are standing out either.

He just needs to go out and play some shots. With the series over, he just might do that, and if he finds touch he's obviously in the best XI. If he fails, we haven't lost much, as he's pretty much bottom of the barrel as is.

spot on.

problem is as well we have already dropped Bancroft and khawaja in this series (who could both open). they haven't had any tour matches to regain touch to put themselves up for selection again. the only other batsmen as such in the squad is mitch marsh. I guess the other alternative is to promote someone like labs. its not as if they are going to fly a joe burns over for this test or anything.

a guy with 21 test hundreds, you'd say has a few credits in the bank still.
the likes of Bancroft, harris, renshaw all average 30's and only have 1 ton between them - so its not as if anyone is banging down the door either.

again, this makes no sense for the first test of the summer. persist with warner for this test and make an assessment after that.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Out for me.

We're picking bowlers for conditions/freshness, and batsman have been dropped for not making runs and having technical deficiencies. Why should Warner get 5 tests on the bounce when he's not performing?

Bancroft in two tests faced more balls than Warner has in four. Bancroft has been out caught at slip off Broad, LBW Archer, LBW Leach and caught off the pad off Ali. Warner just keeps getting out to Broad whether it's bowled, LBW or caught behind square.

Bancroft's technique needs work but he has the temperament to open. Smith (200, LOL) and Labuschagne (114) are our only batsmen averaging over 50 balls per innings. Siddle also faced 116 in his two digs. Wade, Head and Paine are in the 40s. Bancroft hasn't scored as many runs but is also in the 40s. Khawaja is 31, Harris 23 and Warner 19. Only Lyon (18) and Hazlewood (4) are below Warner.

With Harris and Warner facing a collective 42 balls per innings we're basically having both our #3 and #4 come in before the ball is 7 overs old. Most of the time the #3 is in before one of the opening quicks has even warmed up. Take our Warner's one score in Leeds and he's actually been out in 14, 8, 17, 11, 2, 2 and 6 balls in 7 digs.

It's remarkable how well Smith and Labuschagne have done given how quickly they have had to come in each test. Give me Bancroft or even Khawaja for The Oval pls. I don't care if we are 0/20 off 15 overs if it means our middle order aren't coming in against fresh bowlers and the new ball.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Nay, Doug Walters was dropped in 1972 in England with a slightly better career average than Warner. Lyon should also be dropped if he has a split finger now that the series can't be lost.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
It's a no from me. He needs a good Shield run to get his spot in Pakistani series.

I would open with Harris, and Khawaja

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I read all you wrote...I agree with it..
However I am of the mind that he should be given a holiday as he seems to have no real heart for
the contest...i know it is all over and stuff is done but put a 'rookie' or two in to rest the rest
Looking at u Mr Langer

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool Boston Celtics Victory
Giving Warner a licence to attack Broad won't help, the problem isn't that he's knowingly being too defensive, it's that he has no idea how to keep him out.
Exactly. He's been missing straight deliveries. I wouldn't have him in, but I suspect he will still be included.

cows

All Australian
Jan 29, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
NQ Cowboys
Exactly. He's been missing straight deliveries. I wouldn't have him in, but I suspect he will still be included.

Even trying to leave the ball I think he has got out twice now? Its actually absurd - he looks completely shot and has shown no real signs that he is any closer to overcoming Broad.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Yes. But only because the alternatives are also rubbish. Wouldn’t spew if he was dropped though.
Yeah that's pretty much where I am at.

It feels crazy to have a debate over who opens out of three candidates and their series averages are 11.50, 11.00 and 9.87.

Despite Warner's travails I see them backing in the guy who has got 20 test centuries to his name, over the 2 young guys who don't have a single one between them.

Don't feel great about it, but that's probably just the way it is.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Warner shouldn't get a game but will be in. Bancroft & Harris are nearly as bad but don't have the runs in the bank & Khawaja isn't a favourite. Perfect world Khawaja & Burns would come in but we have what we have thanks to dud squad selection. Dumb to take the two bits & pieces players Marsh & Neser to play tour matches but leave Burns home.

Back