• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
If they retain Warner, I’d like to see Bancroft given a go at 6. Wade has shown he’s not up to it, he’s in his 30s already, more likely to try and slog his way out of trouble than graft. Or move Warner to 6.
No way should Bancroft be selected over Wade, he's at least scored a pivotal century and a handy innings last Test. He's 31 ffs hardly an old man for a cricketer.

I'd select Bancroft over Warner just for this Test trying to win the series because he's a right hander and has at least stay out there a bit compared to a Warner who is just a walking wicket, but he still has serious question marks over his technique.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can't decide. "Nay" is very strong, but then, who does play. Its not as though any opener has covered themselves in glory.

I doubt the selectors will be able to bring themselves to return a player they already dropped in the same series. Maybe Khawaja, because its a different role.

Is Khawaja/Harris any better than Khawaja/Warner or Warner/Harris? Maybe, though the difference might be made up in Warner's fielding, the run tally would be so low regardless. And if any opener was to score big, it probably would be Warner - but scoring at all might be a bit much.

Warner has been first man out seven of eight times, and eight of eight opening partnerships have lasted under five overs. That's pretty damning, and gives every justification to drop him. Of the failing opners, he's failed even more. There is no justification to bring anyone else in though.

Maybe play Warner to see if he can beat Mark Waugh's Audi, and get the Olymipc Rings.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is playing him at 6 an option to be seriously considered?
Normally when this is brought up, which is disturbingly often, I'm dead against it.

My belief is that he has more problems in slower conditions than against the moving ball. (One series, mostly one match, in the UAE aside; I suspect his record bares that out.) To me, he needs to start against the hard ball, especially given the way he normally plays.
Right now, though, he isn't playing in the same way and the lack of pace isn't his problem. Neither is movement. Really, he is getting put to straight ones as much as anything. Movement may have started the rot along with the angle, and not knowing which way the ball is going possibly plays a part. So, I'm not as against it as normal.

That said, numbers five and six haven't been great but also haven't been the big problem. The top three, especially the openers now Lab has worked out (unexpectedly to me), is where the bigger problem lies. Pushing Warner to #6 might be replacing somebody barely performing with someone totally non-performing. Wherever he bats, Broad will be on as soon as he comes in, and the way things are looking Warner will be out again not long after.

The Dukes ball still moves later in the innings, and even if it didn't, I don't think Warner could play gun-barrel straight from Broad right now. I'd rather take a probable 20-30 from Wade or Head than a probable 0-5 from Warner. And if Smith gets a rare failure, I'd rather someone with some fighting ability at six. The one thing in his favour is The Oval usually provides the best batting conditions in England.

Jan 8, 2009
slightly off centre
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Healy's summary that he has almost hit 'rock bottom' and so the only way to get out of this slump is to allow him to essentially thrash his way out is just so ridiculous, I don't even know where to begin.

He got straight back into the team on the back of his career record. Fair enough. What has he done since then to suggest he deserves his spot for the next Test? Nothing.
Actually slogging your way back into form is one well recognised method of doing it
Get lucky with a few and confidence comes, fail and you look silly

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 8, 2009
slightly off centre
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Yeah that's pretty much where I am at.

It feels crazy to have a debate over who opens out of three candidates and their series averages are 11.50, 11.00 and 9.87.

Despite Warner's travails I see them backing in the guy who has got 20 test centuries to his name, over the 2 young guys who don't have a single one between them.

Don't feel great about it, but that's probably just the way it is.
I say at 20 is a better bet than all of them but bringing him or Bancroft back would be an admission of error. That is not happening

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
No way should Bancroft be selected over Wade, he's at least scored a pivotal century and a handy innings last Test. He's 31 ffs hardly an old man for a cricketer.

I'd select Bancroft over Warner just for this Test trying to win the series because he's a right hander and has at least stay out there a bit compared to a Warner who is just a walking wicket, but he still has serious question marks over his technique.
One century and nothing else in twice the innings Bancroft or Harris have had. I’d back them both to get a decent score with the same number of chances. For mine, Wade has just confirmed he’s not Test standard, that one century aside. Let’s not take a year or two to work it out.

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
One century and nothing else in twice the innings Bancroft or Harris have had. I’d back them both to get a decent score with the same number of chances. For mine, Wade has just confirmed he’s not Test standard, that one century aside. Let’s not take a year or two to work it out.

Surely by that logic you would drop Head instead of Wade?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely by that logic you would drop Head instead of Wade?
Head and Wade have been very similar; 10 more runs to Head, 2 run higher average from the same number of innings. Wade has more single figure scores.

But Head is younger and I think has more potential. He was our best bat last summer. I think he’s worth sticking with more than Wade, who’s struggling for a second time.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While I said I wouldn't pick Warner, I think think he'll score some runs in this test. Shackles are off and we'll see the Dave Warner Michael Slater fell in love with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
I guess the selectors are figuring that he can't go any worse and they'll pick him for the start of the summer anyway because he's a home-track bully (how many times has he scored run-a-ball tons in dead rubbers at Sydney?)

CrowBloke

A 2023 BELIEVER (until proven otherwise)
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Nay. Not. Non. Nfw. Nein. Nah. Ohi. Nem. Nao. Không etc
Please, NO.

However, Langer still talks him up and said that he was expected to make one match-winning innings this series. To make that come true, Warner will be given a chance tomorrow night.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While I said I wouldn't pick Warner, I think think he'll score some runs in this test. Shackles are off and we'll see the Dave Warner Michael Slater fell in love with.

And then his fans will come out of nowhere to tell us how great the guy who averaged 9.9 over 4 tests is...

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I want him picked for any match in Australia as he is dominant there.

He is useless in England. Such a joke he has been persisted with this series despite no form going in, no form during, his age, his weaknesses and his technique.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Nay. Not. Non. Nfw. Nein. Nah. Ohi. Nem. Nao. Không etc
Please, NO.

However, Langer still talks him up and said that he was expected to make one match-winning innings this series. To make that come true, Warner will be given a chance tomorrow night.
To make a comparison to his days spent at Woolworths - as long as he has at least one day a month when he puts the cans on the correct shelf, he's got a job.

GWBogan

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 7, 2011
Daily's Place
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
AEW, Jacksonville Jaguars, Fulham
Hmmm, let's see...

8 innings @ 9.87 with a top score of 61, including a current hat-trick of ducks. Take away that 61 and his average is a woeful 2.57 runs in this Test series. He must have some really incriminating photos stored on a hard drive (along with some cardoons) connected to his OLED TV for him not to be dropped.

lazy77

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Despite not making a big score, Wade batted adequately at Old Trafford and looked in decent form. No way would
he have been dropped after that game. Right now, he looks much more solid than Head, and certainly much better than bloody Bancroft.

RohitSharma

Club Legend
Feb 17, 2015
Bandra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United and Barcelona
Mitchell Starc Total runs 57 runs at 90 strike rate. HS 54 (Yet to be dismissed) - He is the Adam Gilchrist of Australia now
Davey Warner Total Runs 71 runs averaging 9.87 striking at 51.29 (8 innings) HS 61

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well he's got a chance to have a big role in chasing down a 400 odd score.

Also think it's a bit over the top to say he's not playing well because he's changed his 'aggressive' attitude. The much more likely scenario is that he's never been great with a swinging ball and some great swing bowling has him completely covered.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well he's got a chance to have a big role in chasing down a 400 odd score.

Also think it's a bit over the top to say he's not playing well because he's changed his 'aggressive' attitude. The much more likely scenario is that he's never been great with a swinging ball and some great swing bowling has him completely covered.
I'm sure he'll set the tone of the chase.
I'm equally sure this is not a good thing.

Back