Warner in England

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seven out of eight times Warner has been out first. At no point has our numbner three come in with five overs bowled, number four has come in as often as not with both openers dimissed by the time ten overs are up.
That's pretty damning, possibly even moreso than the low runs scored. Protecting the #4 and middle order is part of an openers job, along with scoring runs.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People want Paine, Wade, Khawaja dropped constantly.

Khawaja av 20 this series
Wade av 25
Paine av 23

Fair enough on those stats too, if there were better options or they were the worst performed.

But Warner still has so many defenders, despite averaging less than 10 this series.

How?

Dating back to the 2015-16 season he has contributed very little in away series v decent opposition.
13 v New Zealand
24 v India
36 v South Africa
Now 9.88 v England

21.1 in that time.

If we pick the likes of Starc and Khawaja on a horses for courses basis outside of Australia, Warner needs to be looked at in joining that group. Australian conditions he's dominant. Outside he hasn't had a good series for over 4 years. He will play his next outside series at well over 33.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Normally you would say its all over for him but his home record and the lack of quality alternatives might see him still in the mix at home, he should be out at the oval though, win or draw here the series is still up for grabs at the oval and he is not going to turn it around vs broad.

The current selection committee is thankfully picking players based on their strengths to the conditions.

I think dropping Warner now does not mean we can't have him play in Australia. It's just a simple reflection of he has no answers in England with these conditions and bowlers. I know cricketers take being dropped very personally but really not everyone is a Smith, some have a better defence technique (Rogers), some are able to be used to flatten teams when the conditions are right (Warner).

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The current selection committee is thankfully picking players based on their strengths to the conditions.

I think dropping Warner now does not mean we can't have him play in Australia. It's just a simple reflection of he has no answers in England with these conditions and bowlers. I know cricketers take being dropped very personally but really not everyone is a Smith, some have a better defence technique (Rogers), some are able to be used to flatten teams when the conditions are right (Warner).

Australia, and most teams these days (rightfully) are happy to adjust their bowling combination to suit the conditions and context at hand. For whatever reason there is somewhat a stigma to do the same with the batting.

I think either Bancroft or Khawaja has to come back into the side, Warner is surely unselectable at the moment. But yes when back on Australian pitches he'd definitely be in my team bar for a continuation of his woes in the lead up.

Warner is a home town flat track minnow basher.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd drop Harris for Khawaja before Warner. Harris hasn't lasted long enough in his innings to then be tested with his noted weakness, short pitched stuff. He's also somehow a worse fielder than Khawaja.
If we win this test like we should, I doubt the lineup will change other than maybe changing the order.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Made me wonder what would happen in the next overseas (2023?) Ashes.

If he’s still going at a decent level you’d have to take him on the tour and most likely start him but then cut him after 2 test failures.

The Broad 7-35 factor shouldn’t be present again those statistics are just ridiculous really. Broads series stats are skewed by one individual. Hazlewood bowled miles better than him.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Made me wonder what would happen in the next overseas (2023?) Ashes.

If he’s still going at a decent level you’d have to take him on the tour and most likely start him but then cut him after 2 test failures.

The Broad 7-35 factor shouldn’t be present again those statistics are just ridiculous really. Broads series stats are skewed by one individual. Hazlewood bowled miles better than him.

He'll be pretty old by then, at best he'll be slightly past his prime.

I think if he's still going around then he'd be better off retiring at home before the tough tours like Hussey and Ponting did, otherwise he'll likely embarrass himself like Michael Clarke did staying on for a tour too many. Ideally he'd retire before then to give another opening pair a chance to settle.

Broad also got pretty lucky with this series. Yes, he bowled pretty well but before it began a lot of people were talking about him not making the First XI and it potentially being his last summer. He found his bunny and that will probably extend his run but fans are in for a dose of reality when he goes overseas and is cannon fodder like he's been for the last few years.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Steven Smith's lowest score of 82 is more runs than Warner has scored (79) for the entire series.

^ Out of date.

Smith hit 97 boundaries, Warner made 95 runs.
Warner's 95 runs was the lowest for any opener to have played at least 10 innings in one test series, Siddle made 84 in 4 innings.
Siddle averaged 28.00. Warner (9.50), Bancroft (11.00) & Harris (9.66) combined averaged 30.16.
A life size cardboard cutout of Allan Border would of probably been more successful than Warner, a cardboard cutout of Kathy Ireland would of also been in with a chance.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Of course he plays home tests, his record is too good and way better than alternatives. I wouldn’t pick him for another tour though other than South Africa.

The only big away tour the next two years is in SA, we are also scheduled for two tests in Bangladesh early 2020 but warner actually made runs there last time.

I guess the schedule and the lack of real tough away cricket coming up is why they will stick with warner, 11 tests in the next 18 months and nine of them at home.

Back