Warner; time he walked/was pushed off the plank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your maths doesn't make sense. You just got told he averaged 42 in his last year. He averaged 31 in his second last year... sooooo how did he average 32 in his last two years.
No, he averaged 32 over his last two years

That would be even worse if he didn't get to beat up on a poor Indian side at home

He averaged 18 in his second last year

Last edited:

both usman and warner averaging 26 for all of their work after the first test. ussie a serious case of diminishing returns, though he's blunting the attack and was instrumental in the first test win. handy contribution from both in the 2nd test.
i wrote earlier in the thread that it was hard to single him out given the rest of the order not doing too well, but towards the end of the tour he's managing to average 10 less overall. the others (apart from ussie) have upped their output a bit while still not doing enough.
the guy has certainly applied himself but just not up to scratch.

Aussie Batsmen this series

1. Usman Khawaja 424 at 47.11

2. Travis Head 319 at 35.44

3. Steve Smith 319 at 35.44

4. Marnus Labuschange 315 at 35.

5. Mitchell Marsh 244 at 61

6. David Warner 225 at 25

7. Alex Carey 172 at 21.50

8. Pat Cummins 153 at 25.30

Someone needs to step up in the Shield and mount an irresistible case, or we’ll be stuck with him vs Pakistan.
That's the problem. Everyone wants Warner dropped, rightly so, but for whom? Harris? Bancroft? They're 30 or thereabouts. No one had an outstanding shield season that screamed PICK ME. Bancroft the closest to that.

Renshaw is at least young but the selectors don't want a bar of him for whatever reason.

Warner predictably underperformed in England again.
He wasn’t terrible, but we needed more from our batsmen and his lack of authority at the top of the order had a corrosive effect.

For mine he gets no free pass in the Aussie summer to ease himself into retirement. Far better, imo, to put some overdue investment into whichever up-and-coming opener is deemed our best prospect moving forward.

Aussie Batsmen this series

1. Usman Khawaja 424 at 47.11

2. Travis Head 319 at 35.44

3. Steve Smith 319 at 35.44

4. Marnus Labuschange 315 at 35.

5. Mitchell Marsh 244 at 61

6. David Warner 225 at 25

7. Alex Carey 172 at 21.50

8. Pat Cummins 153 at 25.30

Marsh and Cummins are the only ones who exceeded expectations. Since Usman averaged his average he met expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a massive POS.

Drop him for Renshaw, who averages over 60 in aus.

Time to move forward, he failed us again.

That's the problem. Everyone wants Warner dropped, rightly so, but for whom? Harris? Bancroft? They're 30 or thereabouts. No one had an outstanding shield season that screamed PICK ME. Bancroft the closest to that.

Renshaw is at least young but the selectors don't want a bar of him for whatever reason.

Bancroft had an outstanding Shield season.

PlayerMATINNSNORUNSHSAVGBFSR100s50s6s4s
1. Cameron Bancroft1120494516459.06210244.9631-95

Warner predictably underperformed in England again.
He wasn’t terrible, but we needed more from our batsmen and his lack of authority at the top of the order had a corrosive effect.

For mine he gets no free pass in the Aussie summer to ease himself into retirement. Far better, imo, to put some overdue investment into whichever up-and-coming opener is deemed our best prospect moving forward.

he averaged 25... so yeh he was terrible.

although Mark Taylor reckons he can't be dropped because he's also first slip :rolleyes:

Ponting played on for years after he was cooked aussie selectors are terrified of moving on from long standing senior players this is a long running issue we are just making a bigger deal with warner because we dont respect him and we respected ponting but its still same s**t.
Except over the last 4 years Ponting averaged about 40…
Ponting wasn't cooked. Whenever he played in Shield he dominated and showed he was a class above, all the coaches and players said he was still smashing them in the nets. It was just on the field at test level he couldn't put it together anymore - admittedly the only part that matters. He said later that actually it was all mental because everything else showed he was still at the level. It was just getting started he put too much pressure on himself to score and it got him more often than not.

He even won Shield player of the season in his final FC season post international retirement, averaging over 87 across 8 matches, so obviously he could still play.

The other part with Ponting was it was a transitional period for the Aus team, we weren't that good then and had young players coming in after losing so many of the legends. I recall reading/hearing an interview where Clarke said he asked Punter to play on for a bit longer, such was his leadership and the dearth of other senior players to help fill the void. As we aren't (yet) in a transitional period with senior players retiring all over the place there's no need for Warner in an on field leadership capacity or for his output.

The Warner situation is not comparable to Pontings at all.

I think he'll make it to Sydney. Rightly or wrongly the selectors have decided that those waiting in the wings wouldn't fare any better.

If anyone in the chasing group gets off to a hot start in the Shield, they should probably get the opportunity. I still have faith that Renshaw will be a long term opener (probably blind faith to be honest). It's a shame what has happened with Pucovski's career because I had no doubt about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back