Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Ti22

All Australian
Aug 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Greater than Tendulkar that's for sure, is smashing them and has made more centuries than Tendulkar in a season of international ODIs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Greater than Tendulkar that's for sure, is smashing them and has made more centuries than Tendulkar in a season of international ODIs.

Let's not get too carried away now. Still has a long way to be greater than the master blaster.

Let's not get too carried away now. Still has a long way to be greater than the master blaster.
He is well on the way to beating that record as well, no doubt the best ODI player of the last few generations. Makes Kohli and ABD look like fools, has left them behind by the stretch of the galaxy.

Cmon mate you can't just throw ridiculous calls out its bigf......

But in all seriousness he's short form of the game is all class. Has Lara esque powers (can occur in tests too) where he can take a game away from you in as little as 10 overs. Love see him take his game to another level in 2017 and regain his form in tests as when he is up and about in most matches other teams stand little chance.

People say us oldies live a bit in the past, but I honestly think Warner is the best Australian opening batsman I've seen in watching 50 years of Test cricket. I thought he was just a 20/20 hacker ... I was wrong.
I feel like the quality of bowling Warner faces is pretty ordinary compared to those of yesteryear though. Would love your thoughts on this as an oldie. ;)

NnoGhN1.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like the quality of bowling Warner faces is pretty ordinary compared to those of yesteryear though. Would love your thoughts on this as an oldie. ;)

Yes and no. I've watched since the Simpson and Lawry days. There was Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith, but nobody else who was particularly nasty. When the West Indies quartet of quicks were in their "reign of terror", we never really had opening batsmen who were permanent fixtures in the team. Redpath and Stackpole had their time at the top, Taylor and Marsh were sound later on, It really wasn't until Hayden and Langer that we had a longer term opening pair. I cannot recall any Aussie opener being particularly successful against high quality bowling.

IMHO, the thing that made the Chappell brothers great batsmen is they were forever walking in at 1 or 2 down for SFA.

In order for me to evaluate batting, I tend to make comparisons. For example, people wonder how Bradman would have gone in a different era. I consider that although he averaged 99.94 against some questionable bowling, no other batsman of that era, facing the same bowlers in the same conditions, could average slightly more than half, so he was obviously a superior batsman who would probably succeed in any era.

I look at Warner the same way. Many other good batsmen have come and gone over the past 5 or so years and Warner continues to succeed where others fail. He tends to be a stand out in the Australian batting line up, and I'm certain bowlers around the world would value his wicket more than anyone else, with the probable exception of Smith. I know it wasn't a Test match, but his innings the other night was just superb on a pitch which clearly didn't help any other batsman.

As a pure striker of the ball, he's possibly second only to Adam Gilchrist as an Aussie batsman. He just makes the ball come onto the bat even when the pitch is a little two paced. If he left balls outside off on occasion, I would have no doubt about his standing whereas it's still debatable. He has excellent footwork and very rarely gets the length of the bowling wrong.

I think maybe his supreme fitness is a bonus, and had other openers had the same fitness level, maybe they would have achieved greater results, who knows? All I suspect is, by the end of his career, many people will sit back and say he was one of the greats.

What makes Warner's limited-overs record better than Kohli's, exactly?
Dont worry about records. Kohli is a better batsman than warner in all 3 formats. Got more facets to his game & picks the ball out of the hand better than any other international player going around.

Plus he makes runs everywhere he plays.

Dont worry about records. Kohli is a better batsman than warner in all 3 formats. Got more facets to his game & picks the ball out of the hand better than any other international player going around.

Plus he makes runs everywhere he plays.

Given that Kohli also has the highest Test batting average (79.42 and counting) and has score more Test centuries (four) than anyone else in 2016, a reasonable argument could be made that he's the best all-round batsman in world cricket right now.

Given that Kohli also has the highest Test batting average (79.42 and counting) and has score more Test centuries (four) than anyone else in 2016, a reasonable argument could be made that he's the best all-round batsman in world cricket right now.

And he gave the Englishmen another pasting overnight.

Anyway, his ODI record is so far superior to Warner's it's not funny.

7570 runs @ 52.94 with 26 x 100s
vs.
3579 runs @ 43.12 with 11 x 100s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back