Was 2022 a superdraft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
For all the hype Ashcroft had, early signs are that he's the real deal and looks set to deliver a Daicos/Walsh-like first year.

What's insane is that he may not even win the rising star. Sheezel has been equally if not more impressive so far.

Every team seems to have found gems in last year's draft. Is it too early to call it a superdraft?

We’re 2 games in and only 14 players have debuted.

There’s some very good talent clearly, but it’s far, far too early to be going down this path.

I think it's a reasonable question to be fair.
Sheezel and Ashcroft look like future immortals at the moment.
Phillapou looks ripe too!

far too early to call

Ashcroft & Sheezel no surprise to date. they had great 2022's and have just kicked on.

Wardlaw & Tsatas would have been in that pick 1 convo if not for injury, so bit to be seen there
Phillipou has x-factor
And i reckon the next "talent" to watch is Brayden George too. Before his injury he looked to be another one in that top echelon

McKenzie will get 22 games if he stays fit. Hasn't shown as much compared to others mentioned but hard to shine on-field in one of the worst lists in the past 50 years

I think it's a reasonable question to be fair.
Sheezel and Ashcroft look like future immortals at the moment.
Phillapou looks ripe too!

No doubt there’s some excellent talent. There is most years though.

See last year - Daicos, Rachele, Ward etc are looking excellent.

McKenzie will get 22 games if he stays fit. Hasn't shown as much compared to others mentioned but hard to shine on-field in one of the worst lists in the past 50 years
he's not gonna be your "star" in the sense of a Dusty/Danger type, but he's going to give you 4 quarters over a full season of effort and hard footy.

I was super keen on him for our pick if Sheezel didn't fall our way. Same as Clark
I caveat that i have not seen Tsatas play. i missed the games where he was not injured. So a touch of bias there. I have no judgement on him yet.

No doubt there’s some excellent talent. There is most years though.

See last year - Daicos, Rachele, Ward etc are looking excellent.
i'd be viewing 2021 as a potential superdraft

JHF, Daicos, Darcy, Rachele, Ward, Callaghan, Martin look top shelf
Hobbs, Erasmus, Amiss, Johnson, Sinn, Chesser, Wilmot, Owens, Curtis, Soligo have all made a decent start as well.

For a set of draftees that have had one season and coming off 2 COVID interrupted years, it's been an impressive showing.

he's not gonna be your "star" in the sense of a Dusty/Danger type, but he's going to give you 4 quarters over a full season of effort and hard footy.

I was super keen on him for our pick if Sheezel didn't fall our way. Same as Clark
I caveat that i have not seen Tsatas play. i missed the games where he was not injured. So a touch of bias there. I have no judgement on him yet.

I'll settle with a Sam Mitchell/Pendlebury-esque career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the hype Ashcroft had, early signs are that he's the real deal and looks set to deliver a Daicos/Walsh-like first year.

What's insane is that he may not even win the rising star. Sheezel has been equally if not more impressive so far.

Every team seems to have found gems in last year's draft. Is it too early to call it a superdraft?
What is a super draft?

I'll settle with a Sam Mitchell/Pendlebury-esque career.
i'd say he's less offensive than the two, but his defensive side is proper elite.
There's a great play from one of the TAC games (may have been Vic v WA), where WA get the clearance and MacKenzie gets from the stoppage to his HB line to impact the player with the ball before they have time to think. The most Un-Essendon thing i'd seen prior to this year :p

Ward, Newc & MacKenzie will be a solid on-ball unit moving forward.

What is a super draft?
if you can have a min of 20-25 players who you'd consider A to B+ quality counts.

Or a top end of 10-15 that are elites (see 2001 - Hodge, Judd, Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Dal Santo, Mitchell, Montagna, Kelly, Swan, Ball, Lake, Waite. Boyd, Sandilands)

far too early to call

Ashcroft & Sheezel no surprise to date. they had great 2022's and have just kicked on.

Wardlaw & Tsatas would have been in that pick 1 convo if not for injury, so bit to be seen there
Phillipou has x-factor
And i reckon the next "talent" to watch is Brayden George too. Before his injury he looked to be another one in that top echelon
LOL

We got three of those players. I hope its a super draft.

i'd be viewing 2021 as a potential superdraft

JHF, Daicos, Darcy, Rachele, Ward, Callaghan, Martin look top shelf
Hobbs, Erasmus, Amiss, Johnson, Sinn, Chesser, Wilmot, Owens, Curtis, Soligo have all made a decent start as well.

For a set of draftees that have had one season and coming off 2 COVID interrupted years, it's been an impressive showing.
Gibcus, Wanganeen-Milera, Macdonald, Owens, Windhager .......

+ a number that could be playing this year.

I think there will be more calls of this once Wardlaw comes on the scene to add to Ashcroft, Sheezel and Pou's performances.

He looked like an absolute animal against men in the VFL on the weekend.

Cadman also, he's got a freakish motor and moves like Curnow. I think he will get pretty big wraps straight away, as his game lends itself to AFL footy.

It was always mooted as having a really strong and even first 10-15.

The test will be the players that emerge out of the second and third rounds.

Cowan, Davey and Long are the only 3 to debut 20+ so far.

I think there will be more calls of this once Wardlaw comes on the scene to add to Ashcroft, Sheezel and Pou's performances.

He looked like an absolute animal against men in the VFL on the weekend.

Cadman also, he's got a freakish motor and moves like Curnow. I think he will get pretty big wraps straight away, as his game lends itself to AFL footy.

It was always mooted as having a really strong and even first 10-15.

The test will be the players that emerge out of the second and third rounds.

Cowan, Davey and Long are the only 3 to debut 20+ so far.
where do you rate hollands?

Reminds me of when Port got Butters, Rozee and Duursma in the same draft after having a below average year. Suddenly contenders again.

Duursma always gets grouped along with Butters and Rozee, but really he's nowhere near as good as those two. In fact he's pretty average.

He's in his 5th season and he's pretty much gone consistently backwards since that first year statistically.

Duursma always gets grouped along with Butters and Rozee, but really he's nowhere near as good as those two. In fact he's pretty average.

He's in his 5th season and he's pretty much gone consistently backwards since that first year statistically.
He gets grouped with them because he was in the draft, and that year he was excellent.
Sure, he's declined. The point being that that draft instantly re-made them a contender.

He gets grouped with them because he was in the draft, and that year he was excellent.
Sure, he's declined. The point being that that draft instantly re-made them a contender.

I wasn't having a go at you FYI.

It's more in general, he gets a free ride these days as it's always "Butters, Rozee and Duursma"

Really, these days it's Rozee and Butters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back