Was Anyone Else Expecting a More Premiership Hungover Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond are white-hot and have been almost all season. The only caveat is that so were Collingwood in 2011, St Kilda in 2009 and Geelong in 2008 and none of them saluted the judges at the business end.

Still 2/3rds of the season to play, which is time for other contenders to get numbers back and peak at the right time, or for the Tigers to get some key injuries at the wrong time or lose a little collective form. It doesn't take much for the season to be lost when the whips are cracking, but right now the Tigers are one-out one-back with the perfect run.

Outside of Adelaide who beat them, the best team Richmond have played would have probably been us who played pretty poor that day due to coming off a 6 day break against a close game against Geelong. While no team looks like challenging at them moment, i would like to see how they go against west coast next week and Port in Adelaide in a few weeks time then we'll see where they're at!

I apologise to all of the Richmond supporters who I might have offended by merely pointing out it was relatively early in the season and that their injury list is almost non-existent compared to the other sides considered "in the mix".

I think Richmond are the most dominant side in the last 20 years and they should be handed the Cup now so we can all concentrate on the World Cup and then the cricket.

Is that better?

I apologise to all of the Richmond supporters who I might have offended by merely pointing out it was relatively early in the season and that their injury list is almost non-existent compared to the other sides considered "in the mix".

I think Richmond are the most dominant side in the last 20 years and they should be handed the Cup now so we can all concentrate on the World Cup and then the cricket.

Is that better?

Yes. Now drop and give me 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Righteous Man Power.

Is that better?
Anyone looking at this objectively would concede that A) we've had a pretty good run with the draw and injuries and B) we've not been playing that well. The media have beaten up our form, as they do everything. I think that we need to play better from here on in to keep our place in the top 4. I also happen to think we can play much better. Finally, I think some guys (looking at you Dusty) haven't really broken a sweat. I think we're contenders, but not based on our stretch so far. We need to lift, and I think we will.

Anyone looking at this objectively would concede that A) we've had a pretty good run with the draw and injuries and B) we've not been playing that well. The media have beaten up our form, as they do everything. I think that we need to play better from here on in to keep our place in the top 4. I also happen to think we can play much better. Finally, I think some guys (looking at you Dusty) haven't really broken a sweat. I think we're contenders, but not based on our stretch so far. We need to lift, and I think we will.

While your draw has clearly exaggerated your % a bit, I think it is quite likely you'd still be sitting on top of the ladder even if you had played more of the other contenders. This is partly because Sydney, GWS, Adelaide and Geelong have been cut down by injuries. It is probably a bit disappointing you couldn't get closer to Adelaide given they were already injury impacted when you played them, but in all the other games, you've done more than enough to win, even if you waited until late in the game a couple of times to put your opposition away - when you put the foot down the results were pretty emphatic.

I can't see you dropping out of top 4 if you simply maintain your current form. In fact I think you are almost the only side in the top 4 I'd consider safe there. WC and Hawks haven't proved themselves against many of the contenders either (or struck injury hampered contenders), and Adelaide's injury list will make it harder for them than it should be to secure top 4, although they are doing a good job so far. I'd be very surprised to see WC and Hawks in top 4 by season end. The only question mark I have now (and I had a lot more before the season started) is how well you'll go against the other contenders if they have a fully fit and firing list come finals time.

You probably need some harder games about now. IMO a bigger risk to your flag defence than missing top 4 is if you play wounded versions of GWS, Geelong and Sydney around the mid point of the season, and they get players back before finals. You may hit September without having had too many strong tests, which probably isn't ideal preparation for a finals campaign. Sounds like Sydney will get their two important outs back by when you play them, so that should be a decent test.

Richmond are white-hot and have been almost all season. The only caveat is that so were Collingwood in 2011, St Kilda in 2009 and Geelong in 2008 and none of them saluted the judges at the business end.

Still 2/3rds of the season to play, which is time for other contenders to get numbers back and peak at the right time, or for the Tigers to get some key injuries at the wrong time or lose a little collective form. It doesn't take much for the season to be lost when the whips are cracking, but right now the Tigers are one-out one-back with the perfect run.
This.
It doesnt count for much until those finals in September. The best season ever means s**t all if we lose a final.

I’m seriously confused about Adelaide supporters. Do they think Geelong would have beaten GWS? Do they think Adelaide would have beaten Geelong? Geelong ALWAYS play finals at the G, always have, except once when they were playing a week 1 final against a small interstate club, where their whining led to the AFL giving them a special dispensation to change the rules for one week. It’s just weird, petty and stinks of sour grapes.
They also lost that final iirc

Is that better?

Yeah, we must be pretty s**t for having great fitness and conditioning.

I reckon having leaders/older players that have been through some really s**t times at Richmond is the reason they aren't suffering a hangover like other teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTH? All those teams played in the Grand Final that year. So that’s a pretty good indicator of a good team then? Every team can have an off day, or be badly matched for another team, or just be not quite as good as their opponent. Seriously.

I reckon having leaders/older players that have been through some really s**t times at Richmond is the reason they aren't suffering a hangover like other teams

Those guys you're talking about missed a top 4 finish by a game two out of three years from 2013 to 2015. 4 finals series in 5 years suggests they could play a bit. So really the playing group you're talking about haven't really suffered like the previous guys as the projection of the team has mainly been upward.

Not old. Here are the facts.
Median age (1987-2015)
https://thearcfooty.com/2016/04/24/how-old-is-the-typical-premiership-team/

Richmond's median age of the 22 that played on 30th September: 24.96 years.

That makes Richmond's the am the 8th youngest team since 1987. (Not sure of Bulldogs).
And how does that sit against teams that did have hangovers?

(also personally I think games played is a better metric than age but that's my bad for using the wrong word initially, although the post you replied to did quote games played)

And how does that sit against teams that did have hangovers?

(also personally I think games played is a better metric than age but that's my bad for using the wrong word initially, although the post you replied to did quote games played)
It was easier to get age. And saying the players were OLD, I went with age. Which stat is better is probably not important. I would expect “age” and “games played” to be well correlated.

I think “hangovers” started and ended with the Bulldogs. Normally the premier plays finals in the next year, unless they’re getting old. (Check the post I linked to which has some info on that).

Crazy coincidence but do you know who else was 24.96 years old when he achieved the ultimate goal?

Steven Bradbury.

You sucking on a lemon Frankie boy?

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Remove this Banner Ad

Back