Multiplat Was Fallout 4 A disappointment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this. I think nostalgia kicks in, I really enjoyed Fallout 3 and NV but Fallout 4 is easily better than those 2 IMO.

Yep, totally agree. i found the shooting in 3 made the game unplayable without VATS. still loved it and to a lesser extent NV, but given how much time you spend wandering around and getting attacked in these games- the improvements in 4's combat mechanics was really important.

Like the rpg fps hybrid, got the balance just right.The perks chart is one of my favourite features.Allows you to mould a specific character and those choices at level up are hard. Hope they do away with the 1-100 levelling of previous Bethesda games in all future releases. Exploration is brilliant ,and the detail they have put into the 'dungeons' is incredible in that each area has a history of its own.

The few letdowns include the dumbed down speech system, pretty ordinary main story(though there was one twist i liked and enjoyed having to choose a faction).It ended very limply imo.There are great characters there,they just dont get explored enough.Also the inventory system is clunky,though like driving a s**t car for a while, you do get used to it.

Overall,is it a great game? Yes.Is it groundbreaking? Its the same game Bethesda have been releasing for ten years,with a shiny new paintjob.

For me, Fallout 4 is to F3/NV what Mass Effect 2 was to the original. Still fantastic games in their own right, just had a lot of the RPG elements stripped back/simplified to make a tighter shooter experience. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but its inevitable there will be backlash from parts of the fanbase.

Wonder if they'll bother with another Fallout game? Don't have many options left, and a change of wilderness couldn't hurt...Alaska anyone? South Florida/the Keys?
Fallout Moscow would be really interesting... Russian future tech, probably brilliant but also a bit s**t at the same time.

Anyone that thinks Fallout 4 is a disappointment should unplug what ever gaming system they are using to play it on and sell it, then never ever play a video game again.

They should then go one further and chop off both hands and burn them to make sure they never make contact with something again.

I bought Legacy of the Void instead of Fallout 4, haven't even picked it up yet.

Come at me bru.

I'd tried to play 3 and NV before this came out. I went out and bought them specifically to familiarise myself with how a fallout game plays, so I'd be ready for 4.

Trying to shoot in three outside VATS is almost impossible. And I think starting off with Fo3 GOTY hurt because I'd had all these dlc quests I was too low a level to do. I found the game just really hard to get in to and gave up after about 5 hours.

Fallout 4 was fun from the minute I picked it up. Found it easier to get in to, had more fun exploring this game. Spent hours just going in and out of buildings and random junk yards I found along my way. The story wasn't the strongest and it didn't feel you had much control of how each factions story ended, but the rest of be game makes up for that.

I only really played bits and pieces of Fallout 3 and NV and I'm still only at the early stages of 4. But this is what I think:
-Fallout 3 and NV definitely seem to have more interesting characters. Too many bland characters in 4 that only seem to exist to continue the story/start a side quest. I always enjoy wasting time chatting to random characters in Skyrim and in the last two Fallouts, they always had some interesting stuff to say.
- Speech definitely sucks in 4. As I mentioned above you can't really chat about much and this makes it bland, plus everything in this game seems to come down to kill or be killed.
- The Fallout 4 world is a lot better for exploration and sight seeing. Toss up between this one and 3 for the Nuclear setting. 3 suffered from repetition with areas. 4 has the weather system which is cool.
- Continuing on the point about the world in 4, I'm not really a fan of how everything seems to revolve around settlements and workshops. Doesn't seem very Fallout or Betheseda like to me.
- 4's combat is much better than the previous games. I never got into either of the previous games and struggled with Skyrim for ages because I kept dying due to how s**t combat was. Still needs work, but at least I don't have to spend 99% of the time using VATS nowadays.
- The whole settlement thing really needs to be explained better.
- In terms of levelling your character and relating that to quests and the story, the previous games beat 4 in that area. I can understand needing to kill bugs, wild dogs etc but every quest always seems to involve forced violence from your character. Whatever happened to trying to pacify some of them? Could also do with less quests involving clearing areas. Seems they took a short cut here.

Overall, I'd rather 4 than 3 and New Vegas, as everything except speech is streamlined to work better.

I don't think so. It took me a little while to get into it, but it's definitely exceeded my expectations.

The dialogue could be a little disappointing at times, but I thought that was offset by the player character being fully voiced. The radiant quests from the Minutemen were a bit annoying too, but that's easily avoided by never switching to Radio Freedom or speaking to Preston, the giant whining bummer.

I was probably more absorbed by New Vegas, but this is the best Fallout game yet, for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Remember to help anyone in need"

Oh really Preston. Why don't you go help some instead of sitting on your arse in sanctuary
It reminds me of dying light.

30 soldiers sitting in a giant tower giving you missions, none leave the tower to help.

campaigners

"Remember to help anyone in need"

Oh really Preston. Why don't you go help some instead of sitting on your arse in sanctuary

it always made me laugh that the heart of the minutemen was scratching around in the dirt with the veggies anytime i dropped in to rearm and recharge.

I'm new to fallout series apart from playing Fallout 3 for a few hours and hating it. Fallout 4 is a great game imo. I'm 3 days 19hrs of game play in and yes it is getting a bit stale... But I've played the game for nearly 4 days gametime haha. Lots of little things that can annoy at times but that goes with the territory with just an expansive game

I'll get 50-100 hrs more out of the game yet

The opening hooked me, but after a couple of hours in the wasteland I was like meh.

Will go back at some point probably but really just couldn't get into it, might have to try a different build

Has anyone actually played Fallout 1 or 2? If not I can see why you might find it hard to see why 4 would be a disappointment. I played 3 expecting to be disappointed but found it to be pretty good - maybe not a good sequel to the first two games, but a good game in its own right.

Fallout 4 - as far as I can tell it's an open world shooter with some largely meaningless character progression since you'll max everything eventually anyway. And it's only a so-so shooter. The world doesn't actually make any sense at all. The conversation wheel is horrible and even the limited choices in dialogue are mostly false choices. Typically it amounts to something like 'accept the quest', 'accept the quest but be a dick about it', 'don't accept the quest until later' and then one other fluff option that does nothing and probably ends with you accepting the quest anyway.

I liked FO3 and Skyrim, was pretty meh on Oblivion, and really liked New Vegas. Have no desire to go back to FO4 after 3 or 4 hours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back