Multiplat Was Fallout 4 A disappointment?

Remove this Banner Ad

The combat is much better in FO4. But this has led to an over-reliance on combat.

I love FO4, but at times it has a borderlands feel when you walk up to settlements and your only interaction is another shoot out. I remember FO3 and NV offering more varied interactions, but Id have to go back and play them.

Fallout 4 didn't wow me like Fallout 3 or New Vegas but I still enjoyed the game and that's all that matters. It's funny what people complain about. When it was revealed that Fallout 3 was going to be in 1st person perspective a lot of people complained but it turned out to be a genius move. People complained about the graphics when Fallout 4 was revealed, but you don't hear many complaints about that anymore.

Everybody has different tastes. I like the settlement building, but a lot of people hate it for example.

I enjoyed it

Didn't complete it though ....would I go back and complete it ...probably not

I'm limited to gaming time ...life kids wife work and exercise time means limited gaming time

It wasn't a disappointment and was a fine piece of gaming

I think there are so many gaming choices now that if you don't like something it's really no big deal ...sell it or take it back and change it

I think I played fallout 4 for about 6 weeks ....as usual with me got bored and went ok. But by no means does it mean I didn't like it. It just felt a bit samey each time I played it

But as a piece of video gaming art I thought it was bloody brilliant

This was my first foray in fallout
Found it to be frustrating. I gave up on it initially, but within the last 2 nights have returned to it.

Just want to prefce by saying, i dont like anything Bethesda studio puts out ( exepct the evil within and 2, although Bethesda only published those two)
Played skyrim aswell, didnt enjoy it
Would rather play Witcher 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really liked it on my first play through but it was a long way from any Fallout game previous and I completely understood everyone else's criticism. The removal of almost anything RPG was the biggest disappointment but it was still a really fun game with heaps to do. Since the dust has settled I have noticed more people (here, YouTube etc) picking it up and giving it a better review than what it received at launch.

It's in no way a bad game, it just lacks some of the depth of the previous games in terms of role playing and being able to play a variety of builds. Fallout 4 I think turned out more like a STALKER game. At it's heart it is an open world shooter with quests and customisation, just not quite an RPG.

Far Harbor was great.

I didn't enjoy F3 or NV, largely because I just couldn't get past how terrible everything looked; my eyes would just glaze over, staring at a brown and grey palette. I get that the apocalypse in America isn't meant to render things more colourful, but it's the result of the graphics engine and a desire to be gritty rather than anything else.

I've poured a lot of time into Fallout 4, though, and for the most part I've enjoyed myself somewhat. I do have some issues, but they're issues with Bethesda's design philosophy post Morrowind rather than with just Fallout 4; I don't like radiant quests at all, waste of time collect x or kill person z and come back bullshit. I don't think if you're doing a quest the reward you get at the end of it should be the sole reason for doing the quest, the quest itself should be interesting enough to compel you forth regardless of loot. And I really don't like the Minutemen or the BOS, or even the Railway; to call the minutemen or the railway organisations or factions is to drastically undersell the numbers/power involved with being a force to be reckoned with in Fallout's world. The world didn't feel big enough, and it definitely wasn't challenging enough. The dialogue wheel was shithouse, and there was no option to truly tell someone to piss off and leave me alone.

But the big one is that the story, for the most part, locks you into playing a definitive character, and playing with a certain urgency provided you are committed to playing as that character. You're either a mother whose baby was stolen and your husband murdered, or you're a father with the same circumstances. She was a lawyer, he was a veteran. You are locked into those roles. That's who you are.

It's why Far Harbor is so good. DIMA makes you feel that slightest element of doubt; are you a synth? You could be; you only remember the day before the apocalypse occurred, you were sealed underground in a tank for 200 or so years, who's to say that those weren't implanted memories placed within your skull before they planted you in the tank and turned you on 15 minutes later?

On that island, the choices felt like they had more significance, if only for that small place. It shows what they could've done with the game if they'd applied the same mentality to the thing.

Overall, I was able to get through this one where I wasn't with its predecessors. The shooter mechanics are vastly better, the perk tree/special stats are fine, and the game runs better on my PS4. I just expect a bit more RPG in a game sold as an action RPG in a genuine roleplaying universe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back