Was Gary Ablett a good captain at the Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

This entire thread is an effective non-issue. This isn't an opinion topic - its factual, Ablett was a garbage captain in spite of his astonishing playing ability.

19789999.jpg

Easily. Vandenberg may not have been the greatest player but always put the team first.

Maybe what you were thinking was Jobe.

Not in the slightest - Jobe Watson is likely the finest captain of the last decade - took more weight than any other captain ever has.

He did indeed lay the foundation for what was to come.

Which part?

The rampant illicit drug use? Or how about the cultural deficiencies that followed the surprise 2008 flag?

Geez people like to be revisionist heroes - Vandenberg was a garbage captain.

Which part?

The rampant illicit drug use? Or how about the cultural deficiencies that followed the surprise 2008 flag?

Geez people like to be revisionist heroes - Vandenberg was a garbage captain.
LOL mate stick to love in of your own captain who agreed to a systematic doping scheme that will forever taint your club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL mate stick to love in of your own captain who agreed to a systematic doping scheme that will forever taint your club.

Awwww look... but doping.

Being racist pigs will forever taint your club.

Being coked up to the eyeballs will forever taint your club.

Having captains that endanger the lives of others on the road will forever taint your club.

Is that how it works?

and yet it is Geelong supporters mostly defending him in this thread.
Defending him at the Gold Coast, he was never going to be Captain material at Geelong ahead of Ling and Selwood, you could throw in Chapman too.
The thread is about his performance as Captain of Gold Coast and to his credit he gave it his all under difficult circumstances, better than i expected considering the fact that the Suns were a basket case off field!

Awwww look... but doping.

Being racist pigs will forever taint your club.

Being coked up to the eyeballs will forever taint your club.

Having captains that endanger the lives of others on the road will forever taint your club.

Is that how it works?
hahaha mate leave you to your hatred suffice to say let it go its not healthy

Edit: Our so called culture brought us success yours?

hahaha mate leave you to your hatred suffice to say let it go its not healthy

Edit: Our so called culture brought us success yours?

Yeah seems to be going ok.

Essendon%2520Premiership%2520History%20watermarked.jpg

Didn't his teammates decry him for never laying a block? Isn't this the captain that flew business class while his teammates were stuck in cattle class?

Some deluded fool ITT compared his shoulder injury to forcing a player with an ACL to play. You don't run on your shoulder I can tell you that for free.

B-b-but he did so much for the Gold Coast cry the Geelong supporters, is that why the Gold Coast is in such great shape, GC were so lucky he took all that money from them. Amazing player - Worst captain. If only he let his young teammates at GC have a kick they may have become decent players in their own right, who will they handball it to now?

Not in the slightest - Jobe Watson is likely the finest captain of the last decade - took more weight loss drugs than any other captain ever has.

He sure did, champion of the game.

Didn't his teammates decry him for never laying a block? Isn't this the captain that flew business class while his teammates were stuck in cattle class?

Some deluded fool ITT compared his shoulder injury to forcing a player with an ACL to play. You don't run on your shoulder I can tell you that for free.

B-b-but he did so much for the Gold Coast cry the Geelong supporters, is that why the Gold Coast is in such great shape, GC were so lucky he took all that money from them. Amazing player - Worst captain. If only he let his young teammates at GC have a kick they may have become decent players in their own right, who will they handball it to now?

You forgot the fact he outlasted two coaches at the club

Defending him at the Gold Coast, he was never going to be Captain material at Geelong ahead of Ling and Selwood, you could throw in Chapman too.
The thread is about his performance as Captain of Gold Coast and to his credit he gave it his all under difficult circumstances, better than i expected considering the fact that the Suns were a basket case off field!

You could hire me to fly a helicopter for you and I’ll “give my all” but if I’m not qualified for the job we’ll both crash and die.

As captain, Ablett was responsible for Gold Coast’s off-field culture, so them being a “basket case” off-field doesn’t help Gary.

Gold Coast operates in his image.

They have no sense of pride, togetherness, teamness, or belief in their culture at all, despite their initial raw talent and dynasty potential.

Worst captain in history for mine.

Yeah seems to be going ok.

Essendon%2520Premiership%2520History%20watermarked.jpg
I notice they’ve had to go for a stylized grey scale look here rather than spend all those hours to colourize it. I guess these are the sacrifices you need to make when so many of your flags pre-date mainstream access to colour photography.

You could hire me to fly a helicopter for you and I’ll “give my all” but if I’m not qualified for the job we’ll both crash and die.

As captain, Ablett was responsible for Gold Coast’s off-field culture, so them being a “basket case” off-field doesn’t help Gary.

Gold Coast operates in his image.

They have no sense of pride, togetherness, teamness, or belief in their culture at all, despite their initial raw talent and dynasty potential.

Worst captain in history for mine.

So Gary Ablett was responsible for the sacked coaches? Karmichael Hunt recruitment ? Drug scandals? Early draft picks leaving? I get it now.
I'm not buying any of that crap...Ablett played his guts out for the Suns from 2011-2014, he was let down badly by inept administration and he had nothing to do with that as Captain.

So Gary Ablett was responsible for the sacked coaches? Karmichael Hunt recruitment ? Drug scandals? Early draft picks leaving? I get it now.
I'm not buying any of that crap...Ablett played his guts out for the Suns from 2011-2014, he was let down badly by inept administration and he had nothing to do with that as Captain.

A captain can help create a culture where people want to stay, want to buy in and improve things - Ablett did none of that, just created a religious sub group and helped facilitate an Us V Them atmosphere within the playing group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back