Was Gil out of line? Does he know what he's doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
As the head of a league, Gil should generally not be seen to be favouring or giving special treatment to any team.

If a team is languishing and there is support from the rest of the clubs to help out, that is one thing.

Gil has now come out and said he wants Coniglio to stay at the Giants, a team who have made finals the last 4 years and are a very strong list.

At this point, I'd rather Coniglio go to Hawks or Eagles rather than staying to please the dictator Gil.

Was he out of line? Is he fit to continue leading or should he step down?

Gill is an attention seeking inept fool who is only interested in the trappings of power, au pair's, chardonnay and mixing with the elite, also the way the sycophantic afl media kowtow to him is vomit worthy. He is perception and mirror driven and suffers from delusions of grandeur.
tenor.gif

Tbf I vaguely remember him saying the same about Lynch last year when asked on the Mitchell show.

Don't think he was aggressively trying to push his agenda. It was more giving his preference.

As the head of a league, Gil should generally not be seen to be favouring or giving special treatment to any team.

If a team is languishing and there is support from the rest of the clubs to help out, that is one thing.

Gil has now come out and said he wants Coniglio to stay at the Giants, a team who have made finals the last 4 years and are a very strong list.

At this point, I'd rather Coniglio go to Hawks or Eagles rather than staying to please the dictator Gil.

He should have been kicked out for going behind clubs and supporters backs and doing the MCG deal, wether you agree with what he did or not it should have been public knowledge before the deal was done.
As for Cogs staying at GWS, I now hope he leaves just to piss the FW mclachlan off and wouldn't mind in the least if the sun's had to fold, cant stand the prick$ that are running the AFL.

Nah, he should just plough on and maybe apologise for it in 5 years.

If the Blues weren’t after him would you care?

We’re not and I don’t care.

If you labour under the delusion the AFL is an independent organisation dedicated to managing the elite Australian Football competition in this country on a basis of integrity of fairness, then yes, it is inappropriate.

If you've accepted the AFL is a Sports Entertainment business that exists fundamentally to raise revenue, then no, the blatant interference like this shouldn't surprise you at all, and isn't at all wrong, because GWS do need to keep Cogs in order to maximise the AFLs ROI.

I agree with Gil on Coniglio but why did he say it, not a hanging offence but its got media whore written all over it.
What context was the comment in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude, this is the guy that stated 'we want to do everything we can to get Essendon back to being a powehouse as soon as possible" - after which they proceeded to change the laws of the game to allow them to field a team, give them the number 1 draft pick then give them the best fixture in the comp.

WTF do people expect??

Dude, this is the guy that stated 'we want to do everything we can to get Essendon back to being a powehouse as soon as possible" - after which they proceeded to change the laws of the game to allow them to field a team, give them the number 1 draft pick then give them the best fixture in the comp.

WTF do people expect??

They went a bit further than that and actually let them off the doping charge.

I'm a firm believer that a CEO of an organisation like the AFL has a limited shelf life and should be moved on semi-reguarly. 5 years is enough. Time to move on Gil.

Yep, very good call.

Question is what "phase" the new CEO comes into push.

IMO the next five years should be more focused on AFLW. There's spectacular growth to be had there managed right. At least has killed his AFLX darling there.

The blokes side needs a rest - no new teams, or moving teams. No new rules, not tweaking rules.

Just let the game be for a while and the fans will love it.

Wait, are we lining up to hang someone for having an opinion?

Doesnt matter his position, he thinks its best for Cog to stay at the Giants BUT he realises that there are methods in place for him to move elsewhere if the offer is right.

I mean, whats the mountain we are trying to build here?

Wait, are we lining up to hang someone for having an opinion?

Doesnt matter his position, he thinks its best for Cog to stay at the Giants BUT he realises that there are methods in place for him to move elsewhere if the offer is right.

I mean, whats the mountain we are trying to build here?

He's the CEO of the league and thus is Coniglio's employer.

He's also got a huge say on how Carlton and GWS get fixtured, what distributions they get etc etc etc.

Its beyond inappropriate - if, as I said you think the league is fair organisation based on running an Australian Rules competition.

Given that's not what it is, it shouldn't be a huge surprise and folks like you are proof of how well the conditioning has worked in that regard.

He's the CEO of the league and thus is Coniglio's employer.

He's also got a huge say on how Carlton and GWS get fixtured, what distributions they get etc etc etc.

Its beyond inappropriate - if, as I said you think the league is fair organisation based on running an Australian Rules competition.

Given that's not what it is, it shouldn't be a huge surprise and folks like you are proof of how well the conditioning has worked in that regard.

I mean lets be honest: its a business. Its what it is, its what it has to be in order to survive. We dont have to like it or accept it but it is. Someone asked Gil what he thought, he said he would prefer Cog stayed where he was.

Are you suggesting hes going to threaten GWS with a worse fixture than their ladder position would give them if they DONT let Cogs walk?

Im purely looking at this from a logical standpoint. Clubs losing good players normally means they suffer because of it. Sometimes it goes the other way, its a gamble like most things.

The only way to avoid this situation in future is to have AFLs CEOs put into Media Blackholes and let them have absolutely no outside presence, like, say, a CEO of a big company.

You can't be taken seriously if you think he's a dictator.

How dare the man have an opinion hey.

Gil needs to go, but out of all the crap decisions he's made this one is probably the least crappiest

In his role he shouldn't be publicly stating these things however everyone knows that the AFL are trying to manipulate results and GWS doing well means bigger bonuses for the pigs with their noses in the trough. It's laughable to think Gil and co would do anything different

Remove this Banner Ad

Back