Was Gil out of line? Does he know what he's doing?

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
You can't be taken seriously if you think he's a dictator.

How dare the man have an opinion hey.

OP could have worded his post better...calling for him to be sacked is over the top.

Gil also did more than just express his opinion imo, he was really appealing for Coniglio to stay.

The worry is that it might be more than just words...we know Gil and the AFL do what they want to get the outcome they want.

Wouldn't surprise me if Gil got on the phone to Giants CEO Matthews and tried to convince him to step in and increase their offer/efforts to keep Coniglio. Matthews would have to take it seriously as Gil is a powerful ally for GWS to have.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Gil offered Coniglio a pay rise for his 'ambassador' role or marketing etc...on the proviso he stay at GWS. Of course he'd do this in a secretive manner.

Was that taken before or after he took Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for a spin? To answer the topic, Gil shouldn't have an opinion externally on these matters. The game is already visibly compromised as it is.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Wait, are we lining up to hang someone for having an opinion?

Doesnt matter his position, he thinks its best for Cog to stay at the Giants BUT he realises that there are methods in place for him to move elsewhere if the offer is right.

I mean, whats the mountain we are trying to build here?

He shouldn't have an opinion in public on the matter.

Don't comment on one players potential movement if you aren't going to comment on them all.

If you do, then cop the flack for looking like you're more invested in a single club over others in the competition.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Well he said the Swans can’t have everyone when we were slapped with a trade ban for abiding by the AFL rules.

He’s also part of the mismanagement of the Bombers DRUG CHEATING. How he got the top job is a miracle.

EFA

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Well he said the Swans can’t have everyone when we were slapped with a trade ban for abiding by the AFL rules.

He’s also part of the mismanagement of the Bombers peptides disaster. How he got the top job is a miracle.

This is the problem.

He's not just 'some guy' offering his opinion.

He's the CEO of the AFL. And under his leadership he's shown he's willing to break the rules or just make them up to achieve the outcome he wants.

The only reason Sydney lost COLA and got a trade ban is because they 'stole' Buddy from GWS...Gil was pushing hard to get Buddy to GWS and thought it would happen. He basically took retribution out on Sydney for fooling him.

He gave Geelong pick 19 for Motlop which most at the time knew was bs, was obvious it was to help Ablett get to Geelong and give GC a good pick.

So how can we be confident he won't influence the Coniglio situation in an unethical way?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
This is the problem.

He's not just 'some guy' offering his opinion.

He's the CEO of the AFL. And under his leadership he's shown he's willing to break the rules or just make them up to achieve the outcome he wants.

The only reason Sydney lost COLA and got a trade ban is because they 'stole' Buddy from GWS...Gil was pushing hard to get Buddy to GWS and thought it would happen. He basically took retribution out on Sydney for fooling him.

He gave Geelong pick 19 for Motlop which most at the time was bs, was obvious it was to help Ablett get to Geelong and give GC a good pick.

So how can we be confident he won't influence the Coniglio situation in an unethical way?

I think the unethical part of your statement is not needed , where did gilligan or the afl for that matter get these ethics you talk about

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Helps to see the context:
Wilson asked the league boss on 3AW if he’d be disappointed if Coniglio left the expansion club. “Yeah, I would,” McLachlan said. “Certainly my advice is that it’s not a given (that he’ll leave).

“I think he’s a star player and I know he’s a leader of the club. I know him a bit personally, I think he’s a fabulous person. I’ll be explicit — I’d love him to stay up there.”

On the News website.

These comments make it seem like Gil might try to do something to change Coniglio's mind...that's the problem.

Juddernaut08 you should add those quotes into your OP...so people realise it's more than Gil just expressing his opinion about preferring Coniglio stay,...they were more sinister than that.

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Dumb comment #157 for him.

If the previous 156 didnt get him sacked, why would this one?

donald-trump-655110.jpg

Imagine if he had done this in respect of Lynch last year? Try to see what precedent it sets if the Commissioner is mouthing off on player movements? Erodes the confidence of teams to get deals done.

I remember when the NBA commissioner vetoed a fking trade for league balance. Stopped CP3 from going to Lakers. We dont want to go down that road.
What part of '(unless they are coming to the club we support ' didn't you read?

I suppose it's less about the fact he might be implying he'd like to see a player stay with their original club, and more that he's quite rightly being perceived as sticking his oar into this situation because he wants to make sure his cash cow expansion club remains as powerful on-field as possible.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Worst CEO ever

Seriously has NFI

Disagree.
Wayne Jackson was worse.
This guy clear second place.
Cannot wait to get someone that actually has a feel for our great game, genuine leadership and fairness to all those that love our game and helped make it what it is.
I've love someone like Brain Cooke but not one of the chosen ones...

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
The AFL is worried about player retention of the new clubs and seeing there better players being cherry picked pretty much every year. Not sure Gil talking about specific players is helpful though

He shouldn't have an opinion in public on the matter.

Don't comment on one players potential movement if you aren't going to comment on them all.

If you do, then cop the flack for looking like you're more invested in a single club over others in the competition.

So his options were:

Refuse to answer the question

Answer the question how he did

Or answer with "Thats a decision for Cog and nothing for me to be involved in".

I guarantee any 3 of those answers would result in a thread calling for his head and outrage of his opinion.

Back