Was Gil out of line? Does he know what he's doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

He is allowed an opinion. It isn't proper for him to express that opinion in this instance.

He's allowed to sit around the kitchen table and hold forth at length to Jeeves as to why Cogs should stay.

He could even talk about it to his mates in between chukkas at Portsea.

Going on CARO WILSON'S PODCAST and spouting off?

If you’re outraged by this you’re being silly. Gil is allowed an opinion. It’s not going to change Coniglios decision either way.

.But it makes you think that if he wants it so badly, with the way he said it, Gil might do something behind the scenes to make it happen.

The AFL have form in breaking or making up rules to get the outcome they want...and in this case, what they want is for Coniglio to stay at GWS.

I mean, the AFL has history on this. They've been getting revenge on us for half a decade now after we stopped Franklin going to GWS. Fitzpatrick called up our CEO and let loose a massive tirade because we had the audacity to obtain a player completely within the rules given to us by the AFL.

It's interesting seeing the media reactions both ways. No one cared at that time because Franklin going to Sydney and we were the most hated club for a few years. Now it's possibly to the detriment of a Melbourne club, well there you go.

Anyway, Gilligan is a dummy. Let me write what he should have said for him - "Look, it's not for me as the AFL CEO to be commenting on individual player movements. Sure, there's something we all like about players staying as one club people, but they also have a right to move clubs using the rules in place, and as long as both player and club are following those rules it shouldn't matter. We have equalisation measures in place which will ensure no club gets all the talent."

If he wants to actually change things, he has the power to put in actual beneficially rules like allowing clubs to go over the cap (to a degree) to resign players they drafted, or a proper retention allowance for players from our of state. Instead he just acts like a goose in the media.

Again this.

The AFL have form when it comes to influencing a desired outcome, and there's the threat of clubs being punished if they stand in their way.

The AFL is a business. This is what everyone has been saying for years. Now everyone cries, when 'the business' makes moves. This is how the corporate world is. They will do as they please to make money.

In saying that... GWS and Gold Coast are both bleeding the AFL dry. Thank god for the Collingwoods, Richmonds, West Coasts and Adelaides of the world to keep the tyres pumped up.

The AFL has form trying to influence recruiting.
They wanted Buddy to go to GWS, so it's results are mixed at best.

Yeah Sydney pulled one over them with Buddy...and the AFL punished them with the removal of COLA and a trade ban, to serve them and the other clubs as a warning.

But the point is the AFL shouldn't be so involved in the first place.

The AFL is a business. This is what everyone has been saying for years. Now everyone cries, when 'the business' makes moves. This is how the corporate world is. They will do as they please to make money.

In saying that... GWS and Gold Coast are both bleeding the AFL dry. Thank god for the Collingwoods, Richmonds, West Coasts and Adelaides of the world to keep the tyres pumped up.

What i don't get is why he was so much stronger in his opinion with Coniglio, then say when Shiel, Treloar etc left and when Kelly was very close to leaving.

I also don't recall him saying these things when Tom Lynch, co-captain of the basketcase in Gold Coast, wanted to leave for a PREMIERSHIP FAVOURITE in Richmond. I mean wtf - if you're going to want a star player to stay, it should be when he's leaving a bottom club to join a top one.

In fact i saw a quote that he said it's his right to move and play where he wants to...then does a complete 180 with Coniglio, despite the fact it sounds like the two teams he's most likely to join, Hawthorn and Carlton, are below GWS on the ladder and not in finals.

So when are you starting the petition to get him hung and quartered again for HAVING AN OPINION?

I still do get the issue, he was ASKED A QUESTION, he ANSWERED IT HONESTLY and we are all meant to be calling for his head? For the good of the damn game, a player like Coniglio SHOULD be a one club one career player, but everyone here is now completely opposite to that.

It used to be people getting ANGRY when players left for more coin, and now we are meant to be ANGRY that the CEO OF THE BLOODY LEAGUE thinks being a one club player is better than chasing money?

What the hell do you people want, a strawman to burn or just something to yell at besides the sky?

Hey don’t get your knickers in a knot there champ, this whole thread is based on opinion.

And from where I sit you’re the one who’s yelling at the sky, so go easy on those caps or you’ll be well on your way to blowing a blood vessel.

Just my opinion.

Hey don’t get your knickers in a knot there champ, this whole thread is based on opinion.

And from where I sit you’re the one who’s yelling at the sky, so go easy on those caps or you’ll be well on your way to blowing a blood vessel.

Just my opinion.

Sure.

Yep, very good call.

Question is what "phase" the new CEO comes into push.

IMO the next five years should be more focused on AFLW. There's spectacular growth to be had there managed right. At least has killed his AFLX darling there.

The blokes side needs a rest - no new teams, or moving teams. No new rules, not tweaking rules.

Just let the game be for a while and the fans will love it.
We can agree on something.

Good grief, the hysteria over his comments are way out of order, he knows if GWS don't win a flag soon and the player exodus continues the whole Giants entry into AFL football could collapse in a huge heap....On this occasion i say give him a break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when are you starting the petition to get him hung and quartered again for HAVING AN OPINION?

I still do get the issue, he was ASKED A QUESTION, he ANSWERED IT HONESTLY and we are all meant to be calling for his head? For the good of the damn game, a player like Coniglio SHOULD be a one club one career player, but everyone here is now completely opposite to that.

It used to be people getting ANGRY when players left for more coin, and now we are meant to be ANGRY that the CEO OF THE BLOODY LEAGUE thinks being a one club player is better than chasing money?

What the hell do you people want, a strawman to burn or just something to yell at besides the sky?
If you think people dislike Gil based on this one issue you haven't been keeping up....

"The AFL with the AFLPA has worked to support player movement with free agency. Stephen will work through what's best for him with his management and the clubs will no doubt do their best to keep or attract him as he's a great player."

There you go, just answered it, gave an opinion that didn't favour an outcome. Better answer than the CEO gave.

As the head of a league, Gil should generally not be seen to be favouring or giving special treatment to any team.

If a team is languishing and there is support from the rest of the clubs to help out, that is one thing.

Gil has now come out and said he wants Coniglio to stay at the Giants, a team who have made finals the last 4 years and are a very strong list.

At this point, I'd rather Coniglio go to Hawks or Eagles rather than staying to please the dictator Gil.

Was he out of line? Is he fit to continue leading or should he step down?
We all know Cogs is coming to Carlton and we all love that it is happening.

The AFL has form trying to influence recruiting.
They wanted Buddy to go to GWS, so it's results are mixed at best.
Might have been fake news
GWS already had a few very good forwards
AFL would have been more concerned about cannibalisation of the Swans members with a dominate GWS as was the thought back then.
Buddy to the Swans was good for the Swans and TV rights so the AFL would have been very happy.

We all know Cogs is coming to Carlton and we all love that it is happening.

I for one have nothing but contempt for those parasites like McLachlan who treat the great game of Australian Football as nothing more than a cash cow.

I for one have nothing but contempt for those parasites like McLachlan who treat the great game of Australian Football as nothing more than a cash cow.

Gill is an attention seeking inept fool who is only interested in the trappings of power, au pair's, chardonnay and mixing with the elite, also the way the sycophantic afl media kowtow to him is vomit worthy. He is perception and mirror driven and suffers from delusions of grandeur.
tenor.gif

No truer words have been spoken.

Death to all those smoked crab eating, Chardonnay slurping, sons of elite beaches like Gil.

Last edited:
Well he said the Swans can’t have everyone when we were slapped with a trade ban for abiding by the AFL rules.

He’s also part of the mismanagement of the Bombers peptides disaster. How he got the top job is a miracle.

Incompetence is rewarded at every level of society and business it's no surprise he's in the top job. Corruption and connections run this world and the AFL is no different.

Might have been fake news
GWS already had a few very good forwards
AFL would have been more concerned about cannibalisation of the Swans members with a dominate GWS as was the thought back then.
Buddy to the Swans was good for the Swans and TV rights so the AFL would have been very happy.

Fitzpatrick didn't deny calling up Colless and abusing the absolute crap out of him because we got Buddy. Crazy to call it fake news.

I think most of us hope that players stay at the original clubs (unless they are coming to the club we support).
I don't see the big deal to be honest.
Put the boot on the other foot and consider same situation last year but insert Tom Lynch.. It's probably a bigger deal now. Gil should have avoided this small deal.

People would have elaborated that out as him "keeping quiet" about the AFLs intent to punish whatever club gets Cog, and punish GWS for not doing more to keep him. We know how this works, people will find a way to complain regardless of the statement.
Is this true to you because you think it or know it?
I like the spiral to becoming erratic after people weren't listening.
Dat anti Vic bias bubbling away inside haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back