Analysis Was Letting Go of Adcock the Right Move?

Was Letting Go of Adcock the Right Move?

• Yes

Votes: 37 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 58 61.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, Schawb said the same on the AFL site back in March...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-18/lions-waiting-on-leuey
That actually just reminded me of this;
Brisbane Lions put contract talks on hold for Jed Adcock and Matthew Leuenberger
The decision to put talks on hold was not his.
It is a new policy introduced by CEO Greg Swann that players of 30-years of age be offered just one-year deals.
Those deals are not presented until the end of the season.
Still, that doesn't change much; He had from March to June perhaps to sign.
While the offer was taken off the table by the Lions, it was obviously already rejected by Jed. It does reaffirm the 'over 30, one year' policy, which I reckon could have been a stumbling block.
No foul, no harm; Two parties couldn't agree on terms, that's business.

At the end of the day, we need to understand that we're not the professionals, I'm putting my trust in the board and backing their move regarding Adcock.
Has to be a case by case basis.Michael Bowers was a professional.

Correct me if Im wrong but does Delisting him rather then letting him leave as the Free Agent he is mean we lose any entitlement to compensation?
Yes. Luckily we haven't delisted him yet.

Hmm, I thought they said we had in the Golby and Bourke announcement?

I can see how it could be taken in that context but here is the line. First two are specifically de-listed. Adcock not the same.

The Brisbane Lions have made a further two changes to its list ahead of the upcoming AFL Trade and Draft periods.

Mitch Golby and Jordon Bourke have been delisted.

It takes the total number of list changes to six for the Lions, with retired trio Matt Maguire, Brent Staker and Luke McGuane having already departed.

Former Captain, Jed Adcock, will pursue a senior playing opportunity elsewhere.

We can only delist anyone, including Adcock, at List Lodgement 1. Prior to that there's the Unrestricted and Restricted Free Agency period that Adcock is eligible for, but Golby and Bourke are not. If Adcock signs in that period, he's treated as a UFA regardless of our intent. If he isn't signed, and instead signs in one of the Delisted Free Agency periods after List Lodgement 1 (or the later list lodgements), then he's a DFA and we get no compensation.

Of course any contract he may get might not be enough to generate compensation anyway.

We can only delist anyone, including Adcock, at List Lodgement 1. Prior to that there's the Unrestricted and Restricted Free Agency period that Adcock is eligible for, but Golby and Bourke are not. If Adcock signs in that period, he's treated as a UFA regardless of our intent. If he isn't signed, and instead signs in one of the Delisted Free Agency periods after List Lodgement 1 (or the later list lodgements), then he's a DFA and we get no compensation.

Of course any contract he may get might not be enough to generate compensation anyway.

Ah that makes more sense. It should still impact our compensation at least a little bit though? Although how we handled it might make the AFL say "Too bad, you pushed him out, you didnt "lose him"".

Ah that makes more sense. It should still impact our compensation at least a little bit though? Although how we handled it might make the AFL say "Too bad, you pushed him out, you didnt "lose him"".

The Saints literally declined an option to pick up NDS's contract for the coming year in order to make him a free agent because they would rather have had the pick than him and they still got compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do we think about talking to Stevie J (confirmed by Schwab) in light of not renewing Adcock's contract? Obviously different players but you can't preach the 'youth path' to one bloke (former captain mind you) and bring in someone past their best (albeit a premiership player with a view to a coaching role).

FWIW - I like any coaching aspect of a Stevie J move but not sure about a playing role

What do we think about talking to Stevie J (confirmed by Schwab) in light of not renewing Adcock's contract? Obviously different players but you can't preach the 'youth path' to one bloke (former captain mind you) and bring in someone past their best (albeit a premiership player with a view to a coaching role).

FWIW - I like any coaching aspect of a Stevie J move but not sure about a playing role

I see it as very different scenarios.

One we want as an assistant coach, where a playing contract helps bring him on board.
One we didn't want as an assistant coach.

If it wasn't for the coaching angle, which you say that you like, we wouldn't be interested in SJ - a consistent story with Adcock's departure.

One we want as an assistant coach, where a playing contract helps bring him on board.

If it wasn't for the coaching angle, which you say that you like, we wouldn't be interested in SJ - a consistent story with Adcock's departure.
That's a good read but should we be willing to compromise a list spot and salary (admittedly not much) just to get an assistant in one or two years? Granted he will be an on-field coach like Power, Cornes et al were at GWS.

I might be the only one who would prefer Stevie J as a player instead of a coach. I see him like an Aker type, a knowledgable guy and mercurial player, but not the great coach.

I can see a forward walking up and asking Stevie 'what to do here?' and Stevie basically saying 'then you do something you can't physically do. I did it all the time.'

They always used to say Larru Bird gave up coaching because the players couldn't do what he wanted, because he wanted the, to do what he once did.

What stevie J did in the league can't be taught. You can either do it or you can't. St. can't. I can't see him teaching magic.

Also, do we really want the selfish guy who had a crack at the teammate for not giving him a glory shot in the pocket this year?

What stevie J did in the league can't be taught. You can either do it or you can't. St. can't. I can't see him teaching magic.

Also, do we really want the selfish guy who had a crack at the teammate for not giving him a glory shot in the pocket this year?

But what made the difference between 2005 Steve Johnson and AA Steve Johnson was that he didn't just rely on his tricks but learnt that he needed to work hard for it. Compare that with someone like Voss who was always gifted and a hard worker and you can see that he could have plenty of useful experience. Would think Johnson would be a great coach at getting the best out of the most mecurial talents who too often fall down in their endeavour (Brennan types)

Steve Johnson also is hardly a selfish player. Always set up a lot of goals for other players - look at his assist stats.

That's a good read but should we be willing to compromise a list spot and salary (admittedly not much) just to get an assistant in one or two years? Granted he will be an on-field coach like Power, Cornes et al were at GWS.

I might be the only one who would prefer Stevie J as a player instead of a coach. I see him like an Aker type, a knowledgable guy and mercurial player, but not the great coach.

I can see a forward walking up and asking Stevie 'what to do here?' and Stevie basically saying 'then you do something you can't physically do. I did it all the time.'

They always used to say Larru Bird gave up coaching because the players couldn't do what he wanted, because he wanted the, to do what he once did.

I don't have a lot of insight into the ranks of AFL assistant coaches, and I doubt many outside of the world of AFL clubs do either. Their responsibilities tend towards the nebulous and it's hard to track improvement or lack thereof to a specific assistant coach versus the head coach versus gameplans versus fitness, etc.

That being all said, I'm willing to defer to expertise - and the word as repeated by the media appears to be that SJ is highly regarded as a potential coaching mind within the AFL industry and is definitely being sought after by a number of clubs for that position. Having effectively an assistant coach on the field directing traffic is something that could be a great learning tool for our forward line, which everyone has to agree is devoid of experience.

I find it difficult to understand that SJ would get marked down as a potential recruit because he'd potentially be trying to teach our players to do what he did. On the contrary the better minds in our sport tend to either not have a subscription to a particular style, or have a particular style that mitigates the players involved. If SJ is going to be teaching how he plays, he's going to fail everywhere. If SJ is going to be teaching how Geelong plays, he might be an OK coach. If he actually does possess a good coaching mind, he should be more flexible still.

At this stage we, from the outside looking in, have no real indication to say which is likely to be the case but I doubt it's going to be the first option. Matthews managed to be a very good coach. Was he expecting every one of his players to be the player of the century and as good as him?

Back