Analysis Was Letting Go of Adcock the Right Move?

Was Letting Go of Adcock the Right Move?

• Yes

Votes: 37 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 58 61.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read Jeds interview. if we didn't even offer him a 1 year deal then I am disappointed. I completely understand no more than one year, but it's ridiculous to think we just plain said 'you won't be here next year'.

Reading between the lines, I'm not sure that's exactly what I'd take from it.

There was a contract offer in front of Jed at the beginning of the year that Jed knocked back (Swann confirmed this in an interview). In doing so, I guess Jed must have signaled what sort of money and contract term he wanted. We may have judged that we weren't going to offer him a contract on those terms, although it sounds like we then withdrew the initial offer. I don't think it would be as simple as us thinking: "we're not keeping you on the list, regardless of what it costs".

There was a contract offer in front of Jed at the beginning of the year that Jed knocked back (Swann confirmed this in an interview). In doing so, I guess Jed must have signaled what sort of money and contract term he wanted. We may have judged that we weren't going to offer him a contract on those terms, although it sounds like we then withdrew the initial offer. I don't think it would be as simple as us thinking: "we're not keeping you on the list, regardless of what it costs".

If that is the case I feel a lot better about it. In truth I read it pre coffee and reading your elaboration makes me feel better about it.

Thanks Kevvo!

That sounds like a likely scenario .
If true , was the contract offered on the table a fair one or was it telling Jed, hey mate you really aren't a required player.
Jed has been one of my favorite players , so when you look at his form over the last 2 years he has been under par , and you have to ask why.
When you consider he has had kids around him to work with , there is no doubt he gets shown up at times doing a poor handball or disposal by foot to a flat footed team mate, and they can't handle the play.
What happens is the younger inexperienced players don't take the game on , they don't demand the footy , running passed him screaming for the footy.
Thats my opinion, every player in the system looks better in a more drilled and higher skilled side.
Look at Beams in our side this year compared to his Collingwood years.
A fence sitter would say he had more freedom to play his natural game at Collingwood because of the quality players around him and when at the Lions , hey we had our best mids either out injured or playing compromised with injury, so all of a sudden he has all these other concerns on the park .
Just my thoughts anyway.
Back to Jed.
Might be best for both parties once the dust settles.
I wish him all the best of luck , and thanks for his love for the club and the genuine appreciation he showed to us die hard supporters over the years.

That is interesting...Jed has stated now that he feels that he has three years of good footy left.

I've always been, and still am a big fan of Jed's...but this has me confused and maybe it's because I haven't been following it closely enough.

As I understood it Leppa told him that he couldn't be guaranteed a first team spot. If that was the conversation, what is the issue??

Shouldn't no ones spot be guaranteed? Even if the conversation was that it was a line ball call the club would go with younger guy...again whats the big deal. If my boss could replace me with a younger and cheaper employee, I'm sure he would.

Again maybe I've missed the point, I still think there is a big role for Jed at the club in the firsts and the seconds...of course if he wants more I wish him all the best he has deserved that as a true loyal club servant.

On that note, I wish the league would allow players to sign a one day contract to retire for the club they made their name. One of my fav things about the nfl is that players get to retire with their true team after the business of football is done

"It was a weird meeting. It was just me and 'Leppa', and Leppa felt that my form had dropped a little bit," he said.

"But it was more that he was worried that my body had given way more than anything and that my pace was down and change of direction not as good. I found that a bit hard to believe."

As evidenced by our own post-game votes this season - he has not been as good as his earlier years.

Four years left Jed.
Not so sure about that.
Not completely out of the realm of possibility. Will only be 33 by then. I highly doubt he will be offered a contract at an AFL club at the age of 32/33 but professional athletes are always going to back themselves in to maximise the most out of their bodies in their careers. 33 seems like a fairly realistic age to reach before being unable to go on any further for Jed. Doesn't mean he is going to get there. Players like Black and Power probably viewed the age of 36ish as the maximum age they could reach and would have backed themselves in to reach that mark. As it so happened they slowed down around age 33/34. Likewise Jed will probably back himself in to reach age 33 but will probably be finished around age 31. You have to remember Jed is trying to sell himself to another club to earn a new contract. He is hardly going to come out and say "Yeah I've got 1 maybe 2 years at best left in me".

I think "letting him go" (if that's the right term) was not a good move and I voted accordingly in this poll.

That said, it never ceases to amaze how well someone can play if they have a point to prove. Jed's last game was his best for the season, if not for two seasons.

Just makes me wonder how much more players (in general ) could actually give if they had sufficient motivation.

I think "letting him go" (if that's the right term) was not a good move and I voted accordingly in this poll.

That said, it never ceases to amaze how well someone can play if they have a point to prove. Jed's last game was his best for the season, if not for two seasons.

Just makes me wonder how much more players (in general ) could actually give if they had sufficient motivation.
I think you see this type of thing across all sports though. An ex superstar tennis player who has been past his prime for several years and has had multiple first round exits in grand slams as a result might reach the 3rd or 4th round in their final grand slam. It is not necessarily that they are unmotivated previously as much as it is the last ever chance for them to do what they love(In Jed's case represent the Lions in front of the home fans at the Gabba) and that gives athletes a real adrenaline kick and provides them with an ability to leave nothing in the tank, something that they perhaps have been incapable of for a short while leading up to their retirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that's what I fail to understand. Is it him playing out of his skin to earn a decent contract, and it points to the fact that he has been coasting along the past couple of seasons? It's so weird.

Four years left Jed.
Not so sure about that.
Agree. He had a top game v the Dogs but, even then, he looked like the slowest bloke on the field. He's never been lightning quick but the leg speed is severely lacking now.

I reckon he's got another year of senior footy in him. Maybe two if he's really lucky.

Guys excuse the interruption...

Reading that article on AFL ..seems to still very keen. Always different trying to transition... just been thru a bit of that..no easy answers.

On our board a little discussion rel to not obtaining Scott Selwood.... if he stays at WC then perhaps someone like Adcock might be a reasonable addition considering cost? Would he more backline player than mid... seems to have been kicking a few goals. Resilient as well .. hasn't missed many games in recent years...

I believe it is but it all depends on who is coming in. We won't really know until after the trade/draft period and maybe not until well into next year. Is this Leppa rolling the dice?

I agree - one year ... two tops.

In the AFL article, he was quite surprised by Leppa telling him that he thought he was slower than he used to be. Jed said he found this "a bit hard to believe".

I think that's interesting, considering what people have been saying about criticism and feedback by the coach(es) lately.

Yep, Schawb said the same on the AFL site back in March...

Schwab said the Lions were waiting to hear back from Adcock on their new contract offer.
"We're certainly talking to Jed's management so we'd hopefully get something done this year," Schwab said.
"He's got an offer so that's a good start."
Having qualified as a restricted free agent in 2012, Adcock is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.
The 29-year-old served as Lions co-skipper alongside Jonathan Brown in 2013 before holding the top job on his own the following season.
The Lions announced in late January that Tom Rockliff would assume the captaincy in 2015, with Adcock set to become a mentor of the club's leadership group.
Recruited from North Ballarat with pick No.33 in the 2003 national draft, Adcock is the longest-serving current Lion with 185 games.
He finished second in the Lions' 2007 best and fairest award, when he was an All Australian nominee, and third in 2005.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-18/lions-waiting-on-leuey

Surely they'd have real numbers on Jeds pace? I'm a knuckleheaded 40-something runner but Strava can tell me exactly where I ran my quickest kilometre ever or 400m section or whatever.

Professional athletes with pro GPS and movement sensors should be able to definitely say "mate, your max acceleration is 5% under 2014, which was down on 2013. You're down from group 3 to group 4 in the running drills. etc"

The good sensors even give you G-forces in tackles and turning arcs and the like now. This is pretty standard pro sports kit now.

Of course, you can't measure game sense and decision making so easily. Presumably Black's numbers wouldn't have been amazing at the end but he was so smart.

But there shouldn't be any internal argument either way about Jed's pace.

Last edited:
Surely they'd have real numbers on Jeds pace? I'm a knuckleheaded 40-something runner but Strava can tell me exactly where I ran my quickest kilometre ever or 400m section or whatever.

Professional athletes with pro GPS and movement sensors should be able to definitely say "mate, your max acceleration is 5% under 2014, which was down on 2013. You're down from group 3 to group 4 in the running drills. etc"

The good sensors even give you G-forces in tackles and turning arcs and the like now. This is pretty standard pro sports kit now.

Of course, you can't measure game sense and decision making so easily. Presumably Black's numbers wouldn't have been amazing at the end but he was so smart.

But there shouldn't be any internal argument either way about Jed's pace.

With his tackling and game sense you would think he could transition to a pure inside mid to prolong his career but his hand balling isn't good enough.

We could argue Jed's virtues and possible longevity forever, but there is a plan at the Lions, and he just didn't fit that plan. It's a bit horrible and unfortunate, but I've got to trust the plan.
I agree. I tow the company line... but occasionally the mere whiff of doubt enters my head.

Back