connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Connolly, can you remember the name of our legendary trainer from 50s? Think he was called Snowy Mitchell. He did not have a formal qualification but was an out and out genius.

He saw people privately at his home. There was no discussion of fees .the dosh was left on the mantle piece.

My dad took me to once so I observed.

It seems that politicians, coppers, judges and wealthy folk would pay similar visits. Eventually the Vic Parliament passed an a
Act recognising his skills and permitting him to charge fees.
Yes it was definitely Mitchell but just cant be certain of his first name. I think it was Bill Mitchell. But his reputation was legendary.
www.stawellgift.com/hall-of-fame/hall-of-fame-inductees/b-mitchell/

Mitchell from this obit continued that fine South tradition of the strategic punt apparently.

There were a lot of Snowys around Port. Maybe you were also recalling Snowy Webster from the Seamans Union? Great man and a terrifying chairman of a meeting.

Last edited:
Thanks connolly for all the posts. Wish I could ask father and uncles re your stories (alas all long passed away - they were born and bred in South Melbourne - hence my avatar ;)

Thanks Connolly. Yep, it was Bill Mitchell. Great bloke.
People came from near and far for an appointment to see Bill for him to work his great healing skills.

Back