Was the recruitment of Lance 'Buddy' Franklin, the undoing of the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but $$$ and contract length weren't the main factors, the removal of COLA is.

It was widely noted in the media that Sydney landing Buddy was a complete surprise to pretty much everybody in the industry and that GWS and the AFL were pissed off as they had been taken for a ride and essentially lied to throughout the year...they were convinced he was going to GWS.

After winning a premiership, Sydney landed Tippett and Franklin on huge deals in consecutive years.

VIC clubs had been complaining to the AFL about COLA for years, but the AFL resisted them. This brought an avalanche of public spotlight and complaints about COLA though, about how this team could land these players on huge contracts and that it was unfair. Even if Sydney defend that it's not how COLA works, it was pissing the general public off and people in high places.

The Buddy deal convinced the AFL to take action and i think was the catalyst for COLA being removed. That and the trade ban seemed like a bit of a 'FU' from the AFL to Sydney for lying to them, and they have hurt Sydney.

Solid point. Definitely something to think about

I think the question is legitimate. I am certainly glad the Hawks didn't agree to that contract... and it has years to run while Buddy ages.

Yes, the Swans made two GF's. But they were thereabouts anyway and have turned over a lot of talent, some priced out. I think depth on the list wins you flags.

Still, I would have loved to have seen him play live every week, and it was good for growing football in the northern states.
I think the last bit is the most relevant. Buddy has definitely had an impact on Sydney siders wanting to watch AFL. I have a whole bunch of Sydney relatives who have got into the AFL in the last ten years and Buddy is a big reason.

I mean...Who wouldn’t want to turn up and see this guy play....he’s pretty good. I remember him being...ours... 1556749379147.gif

The trade ban was incredibly unfair, honestly.

I didn't mind the idea of phasing out COLA, but the AFL were incredibly heavy-handed in the way they went about it. One thing people often overlook is that COLA wasn't an option for Sydney, and they were obligated by the AFL to pay COLA to begin with - which made the expectation that they could phase out COLA within two years unreasonable, compounded by the trade ban that seemed more like a punitive measure.

Yep, which is why i think all that was a 'FU' from the AFL to Sydney for lying to them over the Buddy to GWS saga. Up till then the AFL were happy for Sydney to keep COLA.

The AFL desperately wanted Buddy to go to GWS, so that this new club in a tough market would have a really marketable player and would obviously improve their on-field performance quicker.

I think the last bit is the most relevant. Buddy has definitely had an impact on Sydney siders wanting to watch AFL. I have a whole bunch of Sydney relatives who have got into the AFL in the last ten years and Buddy is a big reason.

I mean...Who wouldn’t want to turn up and see this guy play....he’s pretty good. I remember him being...ours...View attachment 665919

I still feel spoiled for the time we had him. And he was never more exciting than as a young colt on the MCG.

I still feel spoiled for the time we had him. And he was never more exciting than as a young colt on the MCG.

Franklin's first career goal:

This goal later in the match showcased his immense talent for the first time (apologies for the quality - it isn't my video and I can't find the better version of the clip on YouTube at the moment).

I was at this game with a mate who is an Essendon supporter. He was on his feet, applauding Franklin, especially after the second goal. How could you not?

His contract managed to squeeze a few key players out. However to suggest it was the sole reason for the swans drop is a bit rough.

Franklin's first career goal:

This goal later in the match showcased his immense talent for the first time (apologies for the quality - it isn't my video and I can't find the better version of the clip on YouTube at the moment).

I was at this game with a mate who is an Essendon supporter. He was on his feet, applauding Franklin, especially after the second goal. How could you not?

It’s like reading old love letters from someone who left you. You’re breaking my heart guys

It's funny seeing him as a weedy cleanskin with a full head of hair.

Listed as 196cm / 87kg on his draft profile. The Swans website has him at 199 / 105 now. Was always pretty lean for a big forward up until his late 20s but he's massive now. His big strength in marking the ball was always getting separation but good luck wrestling him.

I think it has been a failure overall but we will not know until he finishes his contract.

People will reference the close calls and Buddy's popularity but really, that means nothing after his contract runs out. I expect Sydney will be in a worse position when he ends his contract than where they were before and that is the only measuring stick with which to judge the Buddy contract decision by the Sydney Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no undoing. Missing the finals for the first time in 17 years ( still in contention mind you ) isn't an undoing. They had significant injuries in 2015 and before and after that topped the ladder and made the Grand Final. 2017 and 2018 were decent years too making a semi starting 0-6, then missing out on the 4 with their last game of the season to Hawthorn ( without Buddy and Parker go figure )

Buddy is a top shelf showman. Pure unadulterated magic. I watch Sydney games with renewed interest since Buddy moved here, regardless of the result there is always some entertainment going on with Buddy around. he has definitely put more eyeballs on screen for AFL here.

Swans got to two grand finals and couldn't get the ultimate prize, that's purely down to how cards fall on that day and which team wanted it more. But when a guy like Buddy rocks up and wants to play for your club, you have to get it done. One way or the other. Swans are better for it in terms of membership, kids following footy and the next gen AFL market in NRL heartland. Best trade decision for them in recent past.

Watching the great man bomb goals from well outside 50 and do the impossible every week in the red and white has been an absolute pleasure. And I doubt we'd have been any closer to a premiership without him. Worth every cent and more IMO.

2 goals from 6 disposals.

And I doubt we'd have been any closer to a premiership without him. Worth every cent and more IMO.
But is that correct?

A close look seems to indicate otherwise.

Measuring closeness to a premiership is not as linear as ladder position.

I would say that Melbourne and Gold Coast are closer to a flag than North Melbourne despite sitting below them.

Sydney's recent historical performance:
Without Buddy
Year Z - 2012 - 3 (Premiers)
Year 0 - 2013 - 4

With Buddy
Year 1 - 2014 - 1
Year 2 - 2015 - 4
Year 3 - 2016 - 1
Year 4 - 2017 - 6
Year 5 - 2018 - 6
Year 6 - 2019 - ?

So finals in each year with Buddy, but not good enough to win a flag.

There is a critical reason why Hawthorn elected not to match Sydney's bid of $1,000,000 per season for 10 years. It was the salary cap.

It has meant that Hawthorn could spread any money that was to be used on Buddy on existing and new players to increase the breadth of quality of the side. It has allowed them to acquire other players such as O'Meara, Scully, Wingard, Impey, Mitchell, Frawley, and McEvoy.

Sydney has been unable to trade in players of this calibre since the acquisition of Buddy, with the exception of Sinclair. There have been many quality GS and GWS players available over the past 5 seasons that Sydney would have been in a position to make a play for.

Unless Sydney win a flag, it is difficult to consider the acquisition as worthwhile.

Buddy on his own has been worth it for them, but if you consider the view that his recruitment lost them the COLA then it is a contributing factor to their decline. But there are a few reasons to my mind:

One, been up for so long
Two, lack of depth due to a big contract and being squeezed on salary cap minus COLA
Three, they play a negative game style which ala Ross Lyon it works effectively with a team full of guns, it doesn't work well with a team of lesser players
Four, coach is inflexible and seems set in his ways

There are quite a few parallels with my team, play on an odd shaped ground which gives a strong HGA and have been up for a long long time.

Also to say they shouldn't have recruited him and instead got player X and Y for $500K each a year assumes they would have picked up good players, they could have for example kept Malceski and recruited Dale Thomas. Then everyone would say should have spent a million per year on Buddy. Jus' speculatin'.

But is that correct?

I would say that Melbourne and Gold Coast are closer to a flag than North Melbourne despite sitting below them.

Without Buddy
Year 0 - 2013 - 4

With Buddy
Year 1 - 2014 - 1
Year 2 - 2015 - 4
Year 3 - 2016 - 1
Year 4 - 2017 - 6
Year 5 - 2018 - 6
Year 6 - 2019 - ?

There is a critical reason why Hawthorn elected not to match Sydney's bid of $1,000,000 per season for 10 years. It was the salary cap.

It has meant that Hawthorn could spread any money that was to be used on Buddy on existing and new players to increase the breadth of quality of the side. It has allowed them to acquire other players such as O'Meara, Scully, Wingard, Impey, Mitchell, Frawley, and McEvoy.

Sydney has been unable to trade in players of this calibre since the acquisition of Buddy, with the exception of Sinclair. There have been many quality GS and GWS players available over the past 5 seasons that Sydney would have been in a position to make a play for.

Unless Sydney win a flag, it is difficult to consider the acquisition as worthwhile.
To be fair, the AFL levied a one-sided trade ban against them. Also, you're really underselling the impact Buddy made on the Swans in his inaugural year (his team being minor premiers, making the grand final, personally winning a coleman medal and kicking 12 goals during finals). "Unless Sydney win a flag, it is difficult to consider the acquisition as worthwhile" is like saying Buckley wasn't worth bringing over for Collingwood, or Tom Mitchell wasn't worth bringing over for the Hawks unless they win a premiership.

But is that correct?

Without Buddy
Year 0 - 2013 - 4

With Buddy
Year 1 - 2014 - 1
Year 2 - 2015 - 4
Year 3 - 2016 - 1
Year 4 - 2017 - 6
Year 5 - 2018 - 6
Year 6 - 2019 - ?

It's all speculation. The facts are however that Franklin has performed well and we have performed well in the time he's been with us. If he'd played poorly or if we'd not been in a position to win a flag then a strong argument could be made against him.

And as another poster pointed out... Who's to say what the money would have been spent on had we not recruited Franklin and what impact it would have had elsewhere. Collingwood for instance were paying the same amount for Wells and Mayne.

The old bag buddy/bag Sydney thread.
He's been a good signing for Sydney.
Sydney market more than any other needs competitive teams and a draw card or else crowd numbers drop off a cliff which Sydney or the AFL can't afford to have them do.
He's been good and Sydney have been ultra consistent.
I still believe buddy was meant to go to GWS and be their marquee player and the AFL took Sydney's COLA away as punishment but we digress.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back