Analysis Was this the biggest Prelim Boilover since 1999?

Remove this Banner Ad

All this thread makes me think is, geez, Carlton genuinely haven’t had a meaningful result in 20 years.

Well, I'm pretty sure they won the preseason comp twice and followed up on both occasions with the wooden spoon.

Of course I'm being creatively interpretive. You did say "meaningful."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the Pies last year, I don't think it was as really as big a shock in hindsight, given how it was reported that nearly half the RFC had been suffering from Gastro the day or so before the game (not trying to take anything away from their brilliant performance that night by the Pies)

I seemed in the minority who fancied the Giants. Still favoured the Pies - but only slightly. Odds greatly flattered them, $2.30 seemed more on the money. Last year was more of an upset imo. Giants could easily upset the Tigers next week.

This is a bigger upset than last year, mainly because of the blokes GWS had out.

I’ve seen a few since 99. Consider these;

03 - Brisbane d Sydney
05 - Sydney d St Kilda
06 - WC d Adelaide
15 - Hawthorn d Fremantle
16 - WB d GWS
18 - Collingwood d Richmond
19 - GWS d Collingwood

Now I know they all aren’t upsets per say, but big wins for the sides that did win. Of the lot that I saw, I genuinely think 99 was the biggest upset, followed by;

2. Collingwood d Richmond - 18
3. GWS d Collingwood - 19

Over to you.

Gavin Excell you are a bit older than me, have you seen any other big ones pre 99? I can also think of 1994; Geelong d North

Giants have class all over the park- was easy money today. Collingwood cannot play as favourites- and their team is actually worse on paper than GWS by a fair margin. Take Grundy out and Pies would've been smashed by 10plus (and wouldnt even have made the 8).

Last years flogging of Tiger was more surprising

If people are just going by odds... bookmakers get things wrong all the time.

I thought Collingwood would win big. But maybe that's just because I'm a supporter, and it was also 'hope' clouding my vision.. not just logic.

When I look back in hindsight... I see the following -

1 Rain - 9 times out of 10 rain helps the underdog/less skilled side.
2 Personnel - Reid, hardly played for years. Wills, Noble Miochek, WHE - not guys that one can rely on in a big game
3 GWS' side from the last time they played compared to today - Only 2 big names missing last time Kelly, Davis but Greene and Whitfield were in. So with all the talk of Greene and Whitfield out hurting the Giants... They were really only replaced by 2 other star players since our last loss to them.
4 Coaching. Buckley has trouble getting these guys up for big games. When we lose in finals... it doesn't seem to be a "we played great but the other team played better". It's more of a..... "We played like trash, Gold Coast would have beaten us today". We literally do not show up... and that's what we did in the 2nd and 3rd quarter... we were non existent as a collective.
5 That bye before the finals. I'm sure that was a factor in this slow start. I have not seen a team that disinterested or disengaged in a big game since Port Adelaide was pounded by Geelong in that 07 Grand Final. I just feel that GWS came in with a rocket up them and full of gusto after that hard fought Brisbane win.. and Collingwood were just relaxed and lethargic. We started our run way too late in the game, and it cost us the season..

So in summary... It was not a big boilover at all. GWS are a good side, and they jumped us, and we just weren't mentally up for it until there was 15 minutes left in the game and down by 6 goals.

Pretty sure it’s the biggest upset since 99. Was good to see after the week at the tribunal. With Collingwood losing, there was no way roaming Brian could interview bunk bed wakelin in the Collingwood rooms this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back