Analysis Was this the biggest Prelim Boilover since 1999?

Remove this Banner Ad

On paper, no team can compete with GWS.
exactly- your average supporter focusses on the big name players- yet, the whole list is jam packed with serious talent. The outs form both team were about even- but GWS has that much depth on their list, that their bottom 22 would likely be walk up starts in most other teams.

Have a feeling they will smack tigers next week

My memories of 1999 were of disappointment that the two best teams of that year weren’t gonna be playing off. Carlton were never gonna win that GF. Very average team.
Just took a moment to remind myself of what happened that year. Carlton finished 6th with a 12-10 record (how many 12-10 teams finish as high as sixth?!). They got smashed in their first final, and only survived (under the old system) because 7th and 8th lost. Then, because of the old MCG contract, WC were made to travel to Melbourne, despite having earned the right to a home final. Carlton won that game, and on the back of that popped up in a prelim against a team that along with NM, was far and away the standout team of that year.
Interesting comparison, but my view of it is that 1999 was a far bigger boilover.

Giants, along with Geelong, Richmond & WCE, are a fairly experienced finals side, making perennial runs in the last couple years.
Collingwood were outside the 4 going into the last round, and have failed to kick double digit goals this finals series. They play a great finals brand of footy, but their finals opponents will always be in-the-game and a good shout (ala mid 00s Swans).

It wasn't really a boilover if you look at Collingwood's form.

The OP compares this to 1999, where Essendon basiclaly hadn't put a foot wrong for the last three months. Collingwood of 2019, by contrast, have struggled since round 11 when they lost to Fremantle. They lost 5 out of 8 in that period.

Their finals win over a terrible Geelong was lacklustre, winning by just 10 points and not scoring in the last quarter.

The Pies weren't really in any sort of reasonable form, so I don't think this match should be seen as a boilover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back